Distance check and RTH height verification

One thing I notice on the Solo is if it starts "pitching" in the wind then game over. Basically the antennas on the Solo are in a less than ideal gain direction with the solo tilted...

This is an interesting observation, never thought the orientation (bird side) was that critical, but I understand what you are saying and it does make sense. Thanks for sharing your experiences and observations.

It was common on the Phantom too. The strongest lobe off the antenna is 90 degrees off the wire going down the leg. If I was into the wind and full stick ahead I was tipping the antenna so the end of wire is closer to pointing back at you. The end of antenna is the weakest point. If I let off and slowed the Phantom down to keep it closer to flat I could eek a few hundred more feet out of it.

It's really noticeable on the Solo because of no gimbal. When it starts to pitch or fight wind its quite apparent on the FPV display as the fixed mount is not hiding any of the movement.

On the Phantom it would start to jerk a little when it was losing signal going from forward to stop and back to forward again. I really have not flown the solo enough to understand how its going to act.

Also on the Phantom I ran a core 2 from Flytrex so I had a gauge package overly on my video showin telemetry and one indicator I custom built was a UAV pitch indicator with a line off the antenna. It was basically a little picture of a phantom that rotated showing its pitch. I learned a lot from watching the videos later.

Executive summary... Aircraft pitch does in fact effect distance. No different than tilting your controller :)

I am looking forward to getting a ITELITE antenna for the Solo and running it out over a couple miles.

Tried a distance test last night for the 2nd time. First Time was able to achieve about 1200 ft but that was over 100 ft main power lines, 2nd time was able to achieve just under 2000 ft opposite the power lines. This was at 150 ft altitude. Probably could get more if I go higher but I can't since I live about 4 miles away from a heavily used general aviation airport.

Reactions: DodgeP

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gabriela