Distance check and RTH height verification

Reaction score
Second flight (first real flight) this morning. Wanted to see how it did on distance but did not want to try it without knowing how RTH acted so I tested that first.

If lower than the 98' as stated in manual it does not raise to 98" as it should. Its closer to 35 to 40 feet (guesstimate). It does maintain elevation if above that. I noticed the manual has a problem as you can see below. It states 98' but the image shows 49'.

I will talk to 3DR about it. We really need a user programmable height. I want mine to come home at about 200-300'.

So anyway, it ran 3250' at 275' elevation before losing connectivity. I think it would make it a mile if I got closer to 400' up. I was LOS but through some trees.

What surprises me is it does not turn around when you hit RTH like the phantom does. Just backs up !

Have to say I like back better than white as its easier to see for me.

rth.jpg

Reactions: Raybro
Hey Rich, That was pretty good results for stock in my opinion. I ordered a pair of 6db dipoles to try against stock. Will post the results when I can. I understood as well that the RTH is supposed to go to 98' if below, or stay if above. I may set it with tower when it gets in as I would prefer about 150' to clear the trees around here.

Second flight (first real flight) this morning. Wanted to see how it did on distance but did not want to try it without knowing how RTH acted so I tested that first.

If lower than the 98' as stated in manual, it does not raise to 98' as it should. Its closer to 35 to 40 feet (guesstimate). It does maintain elevation if above that. I noticed the manual has a problem as you can see below. It states 98' but the image shows 49'.

I would hope 3DR is aware of the RH "bug" and that the manual's reference to "return home", both image and content are corrected in the next revision. If not, please keep them honest....

Maybe this is another error, excuse me "bug", of metric versus imperial, they meant 30M but in fact it is 30Feet....;)

Thanks guys. I think the distance is good.

I just took another test run and went 3900' at 400' elevation.

I need to look at the manual again. I set manual fly mode to button B and did try it but could not figure out what was going on. The aircraft was flying sideways like it was dog tracking. Once I went back to standard fly mode it that started flying the direction the camera was pointing. But at first I was having a hard time setting direction.

This thing needs a gimbal bad. The camera is point at the ground when you pour the coal to it.

Also if you try to get logs by doing the trouble ticket and sending it to yourself the solo has to be connected. How is that going to work if the Solo does not come home?

As far as manual I have found a couple errors and submitted them and they did correct them in the current manual online.

I ordered a pair of 6db dipoles to try against stock. Will post the results when I can. I understood as well that the RTH is supposed to go to 98' if below, or stay if above. I may set it with tower when it gets in as I would prefer about 150' to clear the trees around here.

Wonder if you set it in Tower if it will stay?

Let us know how the antennas work out.

I need to look at the manual again. I set manual fly mode to button B and did try it but could not figure out what was going on. The aircraft was flying sideways like it was dog tracking. Once I went back to standard fly mode it that started flying the direction the camera was pointing. But at first I was having a hard time setting direction.

This thing needs a gimbal bad. The camera is point at the ground when you pour the coal to it.

Also if you try to get logs by doing the trouble ticket and sending it to yourself the solo has to be connected. How is that going to work if the Solo does not come home?

As far as manual I have found a couple errors and submitted them and they did correct them in the current manual online.

The logs are stored in the controller. That is how you are able to send a ticket if you have a fly-away as well as trace where your Solo last had a connection.

I have some experience with Mission Planner on my Hex and expect that Tower will work the same. Any changes made will stay until you change them again.

The logs are stored in the controller. That is how you are able to send a ticket if you have a fly-away as well as trace where your Solo last had a connection.

Yea I read that but mine was giving me a message saying the Solo needed to be connected. I will try it again.

I have some experience with Mission Planner on my Hex and expect that Tower will work the same. Any changes made will stay until you change them again.

Cool I will try to set RTH in Tower !

If lower than the 98' as stated in manual it does not raise to 98" as it should. Its closer to 35 to 40 feet (guesstimate). It does maintain elevation if above that. I noticed the manual has a problem as you can see below. It states 98' but the image shows 49'.

I will talk to 3DR about it. We really need a user programmable height. I want mine to come home at about 200-300'.

So anyway, it ran 3250' at 275' elevation before losing connectivity. I think it would make it a mile if I got closer to 400' up. I was LOS but through some trees.

What surprises me is it does not turn around when you hit RTH like the phantom does. Just backs up !

View attachment 100
i talked to 3dr today and they confermed that if you r solo is below 49 feet it will rise to 49 feet and rth.
however if you were at 150 feet it would stay at that height until it got over your home position than land.
i also asked id this rth altitude could be changed and he said that it could not be changed at this time.
49 feet and you would probably end up in a tree someplace.
150 feet and u would clear all the trees.

View attachment 100
I like that distance you achieved with the stock setup. Hope they get the RTH altitude fixed. I need alot more than 49 feet in my area.

I called them today and have to say I hope this is not typical support. The guy that answered really doesn't know anything and he had to put me on hold to get an answer. The second question out of three he hung up on me.

I was out of patience at that point :)

I didn't record any test results when I was playing with RTH the other day but I knew when I hit RTH it wasn't descending before returning. I can't afford to fly below 49' right now because of where I'm practicing but I knew the 98' thing was suspect.

Well just need to make sure you are flying high enough to clear trees if you hit RTH.

49' is dangerous for me as it is most people. 3DR needs to make this a priority.

Reactions: DodgeP
Not sure if you saw this on another site. This guy has a brother that is a scientist in Alaska that sends him the attached message warning of the huge magnetic interference going on the last couple of days.Magnetic.png
Then, someone else posts a response from 3DR about a problem he had and after looking at his logs wrote the following:
Jun 23, 11:47 AM

Hello Phil.
Thank you for contacting Technical Support.

I checked the logs for you.

It seems that as soon after takeoff the magnetic field starts increasing to levels that would have likely caused an orientation loss of Solo.
Regardless of the issue, nothing bad seems to have happened during the flight.
As soon as the vehicle enter RTL and starts descending it seems that a huge magnetic field was affecting the copter orientation probably causing it to loose heading orientation.
Quick question about this, were you Landing on metal structures / near antennas / cars / or any other EMI source that may have affected the compass?

A vehicle calibration is recommended after the crash.
To get the best possible values for the accelerometer calibration please take off the propellers and find the most leveled / stable surface you have available and perform the accelerometer calibration through the Solo app.
To get the best possible values for the compass calibration please take Solo away from all electromagnetic interferences such as WiFi, antennas, metal structures, microwaves, etc and perform the compass calibration through Solo app.

After this you can try Solo again, be sure to share your results with us please
smile.gif

Have a good Day!
Francisco A.

Saw this and thought about your 2nd flight. And I wonder if others could be experiencing the same thing as a result of the mag interference..

Well I was not flying GPS mode and it appears that a simple compass calibration is all it needed. This time in yard away from driveway.

My SAM app reports geomagnetic storm and solar X-rays are active for today.

Not sure if you saw this on another site. This guy has a brother that is a scientist in Alaska that sends him the attached message warning of the huge magnetic interference going on the last couple of days.View attachment 101

........Regardless of the issue, nothing bad seems to have happened during the flight.
As soon as the vehicle enter RTL and starts descending it seems that a huge magnetic field was affecting the copter orientation probably causing it to loose heading orientation.

Saw this and thought about your 2nd flight. And I wonder if others could be experiencing the same thing as a result of the mag interference..

LOL!
I saw that thread, but you have to go back a few posts to get the correct context. PHIL LANDED ON A CAR!
That was the huge magnetic field. It went into RTL directly over his neighbor's car (which was not there when Phil took off from that spot). We were all amazed that the 3DR tech was able to tell that he was near a large metal object!
Amazing technology!

That said, Magnetic storms are forecast in the range of Kp=7 all week! They are definitely going to effect 2.4Ghz.
I recommend one of the magnetic storm apps also.

Jarold

Man your distances are unbelievable. Not as in I think you're not being truthful but as in, got damn... I barely get 1200 ft before return to home kicks in ...

I know I said I wasn't going to post non-gimbal footage but... You can see that just barely as I cross this field, RTH kicks in.

I uploaded to YouTube at 2.7k but for some reason the highest replay setting is 1080p

No filter, no gimble, no stabilization, no music, no frills.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Hard to tell how high you were but 1200' for that distance does not sound like much.

I have been doing distance runs for over a year with FVPLR antennas. My V+ has been 10,000 with a simple Stage 2 package so have lots of practice on pointing.

I really dont like the location of the OEM 3DR antennas as they are too close to my fingers and too easy to bump.

I have not had a chance beyond those two flights to test distance. I have 4 or 5 flights total but two were about 3/4 mile.

One thing I notice on the Solo is if it starts "pitching" in the wind then game over. Basically the antennas on the Solo are in a less than ideal gain direction with the solo tilted and the RTH is so quick to kick in you are done. You might try easing it out at 15 mph on a non windy day.

Hard to tell how high you were but 1200' for that distance does not sound like much.

I have been doing distance runs for over a year with FVPLR antennas. My V+ has been 10,000 with a simple Stage 2 package so have lots of practice on pointing.

I really dont like the location of the OEM 3DR antennas as they are too close to my fingers and too easy to bump.

I have not had a chance beyond those two flights to test distance. I have 4 or 5 flights total but two were about 3/4 mile.

One thing I notice on the Solo is if it starts "pitching" in the wind then game over. Basically the antennas on the Solo are in a less than ideal gain direction with the solo tilted and the RTH is so quick to kick in you are done. You might try easing it out at 15 mph on a non windy day.

Between 175 - 225 feet. So the distances your getting with Solo is with the FVPLR antennas?

I am sure you would pick up a little buy going up. But I doubt you double it. You will notice most guys doing distance are pushing it between 400 and 500.

I was at 275' this time flying out of a hole.

Reactions: DodgeP

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alan r pfennig