Distance and altitude bests?

Reaction score
Just wondering if anyone has pushed the range on their solo?
so far i was just brave enough to fly it 600 meters away at maybe 100 ft altitude.
the windiest day id guess maybe 10-12 mph?

out here in corona, ca. and a short flight in Huntington beach, so far.

Reactions: Del
I'm a new Solo owner, so I have only taken it on a 3 flights so far. The first couple flights I was pretty conservative, but the last flight I did take it up to 400 feet, and out far enough that I couldn't see it, and had to rely on the video feed. Unfortunately, I wasn't paying attention to the exact distance from home it was. It handled everything without a hitch, and I was pretty impressed with it.

2.1 miles is about my best @400' flying out of a hole. I have not been able to back it up though as I started having some Solo hardware issues with video after that. Did a couple 1.3 miles after but 3DR determined something was going on with Solo and needed returned.

This was with aftermarket antenna.

Last edited:
Reactions: mellgibson
Just wondering if anyone has pushed the range on their solo?
so far i was just brave enough to fly it 600 meters away at maybe 100 ft altitude.
the windiest day id guess maybe 10-12 mph?

out here in corona, ca. and a short flight in Huntington beach, so far.
There are several, I think rrmccabe (Rich) holds the record on this forum with stock antennas at close to a mile I believe.
I have gone out to 2500'.

Reactions: mellgibson
wow thanks guys, i really appreciate it. ill be sure to upload some data and good video. Im headed to the great lakes and hopefully get some nice footage. im working on my piloting photography for some cool final products.

I was just wondering if it's really safe and sane to be flying these rather heavy missiles hundreds of feet high and miles away. I've tried to think of a rational reason other than to just see if it's possible. I'm personally nervous about folks doing stupid things with these (non-toys) and ruining it for those of us who are serious videographers and don't want to cause problems or destroy other peoples property. Since getting into aerial videography, I've couldn't help but notice that these air frames can be dangerous if used improperly. Just a thought. Anybody else concerned?

I was just wondering if it's really safe and sane to be flying these rather heavy missiles hundreds of feet high and miles away. I've tried to think of a rational reason other than to just see if it's possible. I'm personally nervous about folks doing stupid things with these (non-toys) and ruining it for those of us who are serious videographers and don't want to cause problems or destroy other peoples property. Since getting into aerial videography, I've couldn't help but notice that these air frames can be dangerous if used improperly. Just a thought. Anybody else concerned?
I fly strictly line of sight. But that is just me. I feel that if I cant see it and loose signal then hope return to home works. If I seeit I can manage it and not worry. Ive flown helis to drones for roughly 10 years and this is just my practice as I live in a very rural area.

Reactions: JOHN CUERVO
I understand the desire to see how far you can push the limits, but personally I only fly LOS and if I need to see something beyond LOS, then I drive closer to what I'm after.

Reactions: Ian [P13]
How are you guys positioning the antennas? (Out and down or straight out? )Ive had LOS a few times at 400' altitude straight up at maybe 50' distance.
Is there a "dead zone" above the pilot depending on antenna positioning?

The dead zone is off ends of antenna. You want the aircraft at a right angle to the antenna as that is where the most gain is.

400' straight up can be a challenge with antennas like show in manual not to mention your tablet can block them.

So what's the best position to have the stock antennas? thank You

I usually hit about 1100' before it triggers RTH. Anywhere from 300'-400' up.
I'm in a suburban area with some Wi-Fi interference. Stock Antennas.

Here's a shot at about the extent.
I'm standing near the water tower, which I later realized had cell antennas mounted just above me.

G0020075_smaller.jpg

So pretty much line of sight means it's best to aim the controller at the solo the whole time? I noticed it tends to RTH even when it's directly above me at 3-400' height

So pretty much line of sight means it's best to aim the controller at the solo the whole time? I noticed it tends to RTH even when it's directly above me at 3-400' height

The antenna should be as close as possible to perpendicular to Solo. Don't point the antenna directly at the Solo. If Solo was directly above you, antenna should be parallel to ground.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mr M