Development process

Reaction score
How does one develop with the Yocto build system? From what I can tell, the build script ignores any changes in your local git repo and checks out a new version in multiple places in the build area. It also seems to clean that checkout between builds no matter what I do. The only process I've found that works is to check in and push ever little change, but that can't be the normal process.

How do I just build an image from the

Now you understand why I was considering making an effort to move the build process to something a bit more sane.

There is a way to do what you are asking about but it might take me a couple days to dredge it up from memory and my saved links file....

Looks like part of my message got lost, and I don't remember what I was asking. :)

In any case, does anyone know how gstreamer is built? I've been trying to get the standard v4l2src plugin installed, and I just can't get it to make it to the image for some reason.

I've been working with the gst-plugin-good build script, but I don't know why that's separate from the standard gstreamer build. Now I'm trying to find/figure out the standard gstreamer build, but I haven't found it yet.

Looks like part of my message got lost, and I don't remember what I was asking. :)

In any case, does anyone know how gstreamer is built? I've been trying to get the standard v4l2src plugin installed, and I just can't get it to make it to the image for some reason.

I've been working with the gst-plugin-good build script, but I don't know why that's separate from the standard gstreamer build. Now I'm trying to find/figure out the standard gstreamer build, but I haven't found it yet.
I'm not sure I fully understand what you're asking - is it why the plugins are built separately from gstreamer?

Or is it how to build gstreamer on Yocto? There are a couple of good resources on the web for this. Even if these don't give you a direct answer they are filled with useful info.

1. Yocto/gstreamer

2.Building Gstreamer using Yocto

I can build gstreamer just fine, but it doesn't have the (standard) v4l2src plugin. I've done everything I can think of to have it built, and it sure looks like it's building it when I look at the logs, but when I try to use it on the copter it's not there.

Part of the confusion is that there seems to be some hackery going on, where the good plugin build script is included in the solo source, but the rest of the gstreamer build is from the standard yacto repo. It appears to be wedged into the standard yacto build so that the standard gstreamer build actually uses a solo-specific build script for the good plugin. I don't know if that's part of my problem or not, but that's the build script that I'm modifying.

I'm not sure if I'm looking at the right directory, but it looks like the artoo image (I think that's the controller) has a bunch more gstreamer plugins than the copter:

1581207696932.png

Finally figures out the gstreamer thing. I added "gst-plugins-good-video2linux2" to the IMAGE_INSTALL list in 3dr-solo.bb, and it seems to have worked. I couldn't find where the list of plugin names came from, so I took a guess, and it worked...

Reactions: just_bruce
Excellent ! I look forward to further news, hopefully positive.

Where does the sololink.conf file come from, and why does it always revert back to the default state when I reboot. What's the point of a configuration file that one can't change?

Oh...my memory is a bit fuzzy but there is a procedure to make it stick. It's detailed if you read the source files. Soon as I can get to the laptop I should be able to look it up assuming you haven't found it by then.

Edit: Found it - configinit

Line #73 or so.
------

It reverts because that is one of the most pivotal files in the system. If it is fekacta then lots of other stuff goes tits up quick, fast, and in a hurry.

Last edited:
Thanks. I can get myself into some real trouble with that script. :)

Actually, it might help me to understand why I've gotten my solo into a weird state a couple of times.

It's currently in a state where all the LEDs are green and the cube is fast flashing (I think) orange. It doesn't beep at all on startup either. I think I was in this state when I was initially upgraded to OpenSolo, but eventually got out of it using some unknown combination of the two reset buttons.

I understand what the main button does, but what does the one under the gimbal do? From what I can tell it's supposed to reset the cube, but that doesn't seem to be working now. I think that's what fixed it (eventually) previously.

The SSWT button located inside the gimbal bay is connected to the cube's safety switch terminals. It does not do anything for pairing, does not do a factory reset, and does not reset parameters. The only thing holding the SSWT button while powering on does is reload the IOMCU firmware in the cube.

That switch is connected to the CUBE Safety SWitch Terminals

Before I tear into my solo (again), maybe someone can figure this out. The solo paired with the controller, but the controller still says "waiting for solo". The solo has all green leds, and I've done the "SSWT" reset multiple times, but I don't get any beeps to confirm that it's doing anything. Any ideas? Should I open it up and connect USB to the cube to reset it?

I think we're back in business. I connected to the cube via USB, flashed arduplane, which I saw recommended somewhere to clear the settings, then flash back to arducopter. Would that be the correct version of arducopter, and is there anything else I have to do to restore the settings?

I'm going through the whole processes of re-flashing stock OpenSolo just in case, which I would assume would reset the settings.

I believe that fully installing OpenSolo includes an update to the parameters. This is the most-often missed thing I see on the forums. I assume that is what you meant by 'reset the settings' ?

I believe that fully installing OpenSolo includes an update to the parameters. This is the most-often missed thing I see on the forums. I assume that is what you meant by 'reset the settings' ?

Yes. Thats what I meant. Thanks.

I think we're back in business. I connected to the cube via USB, flashed arduplane, which I saw recommended somewhere to clear the settings, then flash back to arducopter. Would that be the correct version of arducopter, and is there anything else I have to do to restore the settings?

I'm going through the whole processes of re-flashing stock OpenSolo just in case, which I would assume would reset the settings.
Hi @webbbn,
can you pair the copter to the controller?

I have the same issue with all green leds no sound so I follow your solution to plug the usb to my green cube to upload the latest stable-4.4.4 CubeGreen-solo firmware. after that the copter can boot with tone and has fixed with different led colors.

The controller displays "waiting for solo" and I try many time to push the pair button sometime it says "detected new solo" then I hold A+B and it displays something "paring.." then go back right after to "waiting for solo".

new edit: I redo but with the OpenSolo firmware "ArduCopter.4.0.1.CubeGreen-Solo.apj" then let the copter boot with many tone sequences, so it better to wait 5 mn until all leds stay fixed. Then pair it now it works!

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gabriela