Reaction score
Website
www.barkingdeerphotography.com
If you are studying for the UAG test and would like to get familiar with weather reporting such as METARS, you need to pick up a glossary and just give a little practice to decoding. It really is easy with a little practice, although it seems daunting at first. I recommend starting with decoding Figure 12 on FAA-CT-8080-2G, which is the supplement that they will probably hand out for us to use during the test (or something similar). I have decoded it for you in the attached PDF (your answer sheet). There are many glossaries on the web; one that the USAF uses is attached. I highly recommend getting a free account at 1800wxbrief.com and then checking out the Dashboard. This will list current METARs, TAFs, and NOTAMs. By checking and unchecking the "plain text" box you will see the coded and decoded reports, so you can immediately test your understanding of the codes.

Attachments

• METAR Figure 12.pdf
    59.4 KB · Views: 15
  • METAR and TAF codes.pdf
    325.1 KB · Views: 10
Remember that BR is fog. Think of it as Baby Rain.
We had to learn all of that for the pilots license. After a few days of practice it's pretty easy.

Reactions: bluesgeek
Interesting..years ago when I got my license it was BR. I haven't looked at a METAR in years.
Either that or I don't remember. That was over twenty years ago.
Thanks for that update.

Reactions: bluesgeek

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gabriela