Controller connection to Solo with gimbal

Reaction score
After about two dozen flights with a Solo, I am convinced I like it, so I just purchased a second one while they're available, this time with a factory installed gimbal from B&H. I don't yet have a GoPro Hero 4 Black for it (I've been flying a Yi camera on my first one), but I plan to get one soon. Meanwhile, to test the new Solo hardware to ensure it works, I stuck another small action cam in the gimbal to give it some weight and figured I'd get one flight in just to check things out. Unfortunately, the controller can't find the Solo. It just sits there, looking. I tried clicking the pairing button under the Solo, but that didn't communicate anything to the controller. I'm wondering if maybe not having an actual GoPro in the gimbal with the exact correct balance is keeping the Solo from getting thru it's initialization so that it never gets to start talking to the controller? Or might I have another Problem? I'd sure appreciate any guidance on this!

The controller cant find the solo at all, or are you just not getting a live video feed? Did you update the solo and controller yet? Try connecting solo and controller WITHOUT camera yet?

The controller doesn't see the Solo at all. I wasn't even bothering to connect the hdmi into the Solo... was just planning a test flight with no fpv. I can't update either the controller or Solo unless they're talking to each other. The furthest I got there was downloading the updates to my tablet, but can't get past that point until the controller is talking to the Solo.

When the Solo is powered on, it goes thru the normal sequence of turning all LEDs green, playing the little wake-up tune, flashing LEDs off, and then lighting them two red and two white. The gimbal powers up, rights the camera, and does keep the camera stable if I pitch or roll the aircraft by hand... but there is a medium-pitched vibration (tone) emanating from the gimbal when the aircraft is just sitting level. But that's it... the controller reports waiting for Solo until I shut things down.

One more data point: the new controller works fine... I was able to pair my original Solo with it just fine. So, the new Solo is not communicating and also doesn't send out a pairing signal.

Doesn't sound good. If I were you I'd send it back. A brand new Solo shouldn't be having issues like that

That's what I'm thinking also... I was hoping maybe there might be something else to try before packing everything back up. Many thanks!

I shipped my backpack bundle back to B&H because after initial setup (all updates worked) went to fly and it lost connection and never was able to get it back. In your case you say the remote that came with the backpack bundle does not connect to your gimbal solo but it connects to your previous solo? If that is the case the fix or next troubleshooting step that 3dr and folks on this forum suggested was open heart surgery (get to main board and remove/reseat micro sd card).

See my thread for additional details -
https://3drpilots.com/threads/new-in-box-solo-connected-then-not-so-much.11492/#post-120033

That's what I'm thinking also... I was hoping maybe there might be something else to try before packing everything back up. Many thanks!

Make sure that camera you stuck in it does not have wi-fi turned on. The fact that you can hear the gimbal humming *may* indicate the camera is not balanced correctly in the gimbal, which could lead to damage. In fact, pull off the gimbal altogether and test again outside with no other wireless devices around.

There is also a process for pairing a controller with a Solo the first time. I had to do it when I bought an open-box kit, and it wasn't as simple as hitting a button. You might want to google that.

Make sure that camera you stuck in it does not have wi-fi turned on. The fact that you can hear the gimbal humming *may* indicate the camera is not balanced correctly in the gimbal, which could lead to damage. In fact, pull off the gimbal altogether and test again outside with no other wireless devices around.

There is also a process for pairing a controller with a Solo the first time. I had to do it when I bought an open-box kit, and it wasn't as simple as hitting a button. You might want to google that.
Good troubleshooting steps ..... Hope one of them works out for you. In my case I kept looking for something simple but alas somethings it just don't work out. Have a new bundle coming from B&H although my non bundle Solo arrived a few days ago and worked right out of the box (not mentioning the disconnect controller issues as that is for another thread)

To the OP - Depending on when you got your bundle from B&H they have changed it again .. no longer offering the free battery with is a PITA.

Thanks all. I had read about the SD card and that may in fact be the problem... and I briefly consid but I really didn't want to do major surgery on a brand new vehicle.

Hmm.... hit a button and sent before intended! I called B&H and decided to send it back for a replacement. They provided a prepaid label for UPS. The extra battery came separately when I got the bundle, so I didn't send that back. I know these things are selling, so hopefully they still have a bundle to ship back out!

When the Solo is powered on, it goes thru the normal sequence of turning all LEDs green, playing the little wake-up tune, flashing LEDs off, and then lighting them two red and two white. The gimbal powers up, rights the camera, and does keep the camera stable if I pitch or roll the aircraft by hand... but there is a medium-pitched vibration (tone) emanating from the gimbal when the aircraft is just sitting level. But that's it... the controller reports waiting for Solo until I shut things down.
I have the same problem except I don't have a camera connected to it. I tried to do a factory reset but it won't do that either. The orange light that is suppose to flash when doing the reset comes on solid when I turn the Solo back on. I like this Drone and I have it boxed to be shipped back to the supplier but if I can I would rather fix it

There are guys on here who can help you find the problem... it may be the micro SD card issue where it sometimes shakes loose. The warning from 3DR about doing a factory reset convinced me not to do that right out of the box. B&H received mine just before their most recent holiday shut down, so I'm waiting to hear about a replacement. Just noticed today that not only are they no longer including an extra battery in the bundle, but they also just raised the price by $50. And Amazon Prime is out of them, so the supply is obviously drying up!

I would like to check the micro sd card. Are there any websites with instructions on how to do this.

I would like to check the micro sd card. Are there any websites with instructions on how to do this.
Also, I just ordered another Solo from B&H. Just the base. I will use it as a back up and maybe keep the first one that I purchased

Hmm.... hit a button and sent before intended! I called B&H and decided to send it back for a replacement. They provided a prepaid label for UPS. The extra battery came separately when I got the bundle, so I didn't send that back. I know these things are selling, so hopefully they still have a bundle to ship back out!
Hard to say but I have heard B&H are sticklers for returns having 100% of what they sent. If they show a battery (free bat) not back with the kit they may ship the bundle back to you :) In terms of price it goes up and down at B&H and Amazon has them back .. then they are out and then back again. I'm sure anyone who wants the Solo will be able to get it for a deal - (except for gimbal, as it's worthless since it's a poor platform for footage)

Oh - and no worries doing factory reset .. it's actually the easiest thing to do for your Solo and you will be doing it for both Controller and bird if you have it long.

Last edited:
I asked about the battery and they said just send the bundle... and my account sjows only the bundlevauthorized for maybe because the battery had shipped separately. It made sense, but I figure I'll keep an eye on my account for the next couple of days and see what happens. I've got maybe 40 or so flights on my first Solo so far and it has been reliable to date, but electronics can have a mind of their own. That's also why i want a second aircraft and controller. I'm sure I'll be tinkering down the road, but was hesitant to do that during those first B&H 30 days.

Does anyone have a link for charrellsolo that describes the steps for getting to and reinserting the micro SD card that stores the Solo's software?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Minh44