commercial use license help

Hey Roger, I just want to add some information here.

I've been doing aerial real estate photography for about 6 months and I've found the market to be pretty soft. Everyone thinks it would be a great way to show off a house but when it comes to pulling out the checkbook then it's another matter.

The best advice I can give you is something I've been doing recently. Instead of marketing to realtors market to real estate photographers as a way for them to offer aerial photography and make money off of it. The way I present it is that there is a very large expense to get into the business and do it right. I've got about $4,000 in drones, batteries, camera, after-market lens, and filters. Also lots of practice and learning on how to do it. Instead of them putting out the expense and going through the learning curve they can offer it right now by subcontracting to me.

I have a retail rate that I charge my direct clients, and a wholesale rate that I charge other photographers. I tell them that they can charge their client whatever they want, and as far as I'm concerned I work for them.

It's a good way to tap into a market where the realtors already have a relationship with a photographer.

Wanted to check in to see how your aerial photography business is doing? Also I have registered my SOLO but I assume I will need something more if I work with a real estate company?
THX FOR YOUR TIME!

It's been really slow. Real estate has dropped to zero, probably because we're in the middle of a boom where a house is on the market all of a day before it's sold.

Best gig I have now is a recurring construction site. Also some photographers who are contacting me asking about my services.

Have you gotten an N-number for your Solo? I'm pretty sure that for commercial purposes you still need an N-number. Anyone disagree and can cite regulations?

I think that the bottom has dropped out of the market, and to be honest I'm seriously thinking of packing it in and getting back to artistic work. I've been talking with another photographer about the applications of a drone with artistic photography. I keep getting hung up on the fact that I'd be lifting a crappy little GoPro. I'd love to lift my DSLR but then I'd need to get a much larger drone and I'd be lifting $5k with another $5k or so.

Things might pick up once winter is over, it's really grey up here in the PNW this time of year.

Good luck.

It's been really slow. Real estate has dropped to zero, probably because we're in the middle of a boom where a house is on the market all of a day before it's sold.

Best gig I have now is a recurring construction site. Also some photographers who are contacting me asking about my services.

Have you gotten an N-number for your Solo? I'm pretty sure that for commercial purposes you still need an N-number. Anyone disagree and can cite regulations?

I think that the bottom has dropped out of the market, and to be honest I'm seriously thinking of packing it in and getting back to artistic work. I've been talking with another photographer about the applications of a drone with artistic photography. I keep getting hung up on the fact that I'd be lifting a crappy little GoPro. I'd love to lift my DSLR but then I'd need to get a much larger drone and I'd be lifting $5k with another $5k or so.

Things might pick up once winter is over, it's really grey up here in the PNW this time of year.

Good luck.
I have seen some photographers use a drone with a super bright light to light up landscapes at night, and then use their DSLR's to capture the moment. It looks awesome.

Reactions: Ed Beck
I have seen some photographers use a drone with a super bright light to light up landscapes at night, and then use their DSLR's to capture the moment. It looks awesome.
I've seen that. It looks interesting. My first reaction was that I could do pretty much the same thing using a daylight photo and vignette in PS. Still, I like the way the photographer used his drone in a different way.

I'm going to start a new thread about this.

Good luck.
As of December 2016: You have to register the specific drones you will use for commercial work. You can still get an N number, and must do that to use the drone outside the US. But, you have to register on paper and supply a copy of the bill of sale (to you) and a notarized declaration attesting, among other things, that the drone is not currently registered in another country. If you are going to use the drone only in the US the much easier way is to do it online. Costs $5, no notarized declaration, and you get an FA3 number immediately. Start here sUAS Registration create a new account if you need to, then be sure to click the "non-Model Aircraft" option. Then follow your nose.

Wanted to check in to see how your aerial photography business is doing? Also I have registered my SOLO but I assume I will need something more if I work with a real estate company?
THX FOR YOUR TIME!
You are going to need a Part 107 license from the FAA to work with the real estate company. If you want to get paid by the real estate company you are going to have to prepare a W-4 form for them, and decide whether you are going to use your SS number, or get a new FEIN number from the IRS. If you want to form a company, then you will have to comply with your county Fictitious Business Name requirements, and possibly get a business license. You will also want to decide whether you want to open a bank account for the new company, and get a PO box, both of which will require showing the license stuff. If you want to incorporate it is more complex and expensive.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MarkHKB40