Canadian UAV Flight Training

Reaction score
With regards to Transport Canada there are a few rules and regulations when i comes to flying your Solo in Canadian air space.

For us Canadians we are faced with TP 15263 E
This is for unmaned air vehicle systems 25kg or less in operation of visual line of sight.

If in the future you wish to apply for a SFOC for a project or business, you need to know this!

For the recreational user... its really good information for Solo owners!

If you search for info on UAV training, you will come accross hundreds of hits for pilot training. I have looked at several courses that specialize in Canadian air space. they run from 600.00 to a few grand. they also require you to travel to them to do this two or 4 day training programs. If your interested in this type of instruction, make sure they conform to the Transport Canada TP15263E standard or else you run the risk of paying for glorified gamer instruction that might put you or your legal responsibilities at risk.

Interesting to note. You cant plead ignorance of the Law in Canada.

I have found an outfit that is offering very basic instruction that conforms to the Canadian standard and is avaliable on-line!

pilottraining.ca

Now keep in mind, there is one component that is missing for the standard... Can i fly this thing? Well that part, as I have found out, can be done from any local licensed flight instructor from any local areodrome. (airport)

The UAV course is very detailed, and the part I really like is that it is online and recognized by Transport Canada! The bonus? Its 250.00 CAD!

It is true Ground School training with the focus on UAV's

FOR CANDIANS!

The part I'm not clear on is the $100K liability insurance requirement. Where do I get this insurance? Is general liability on my homeowner's policy enough?

The general liability on your homeowners is *generally* good enough.
I don't have a website, but I am a designated trainer in Ontario for Henry's Camera and Drones Plus Toronto. I have worked many times with Transport Canada, and can assist on SFOC templates and initial training.

I also recommend Humber College for those in Ontario; Humber has an amazing product/training course with Yifei Zhao and her team. Anyone with a standing SFOC can likely provide good training. Anyone who doesn't have a standing...avoid them, IMO.

I have found an outfit that is offering very basic instruction that conforms to the Canadian standard and is avaliable on-line!

pilottraining.ca

Basic instruction from pilot training.ca?

It's almost a complete course for private pilot. They may have removed a few modules but they cover just about everything. There may be 30 hours of material but this add up to hundreads hours of studing. They lead you to other material you need to buy and learn
Staff instructions on SFOC (about 200 pages) : free
List of acronymns 150 pages. : free
A few CARs : free
Canadian flight supplement (0ver 400 pages for the general document + the one that apply to your region): need to buy
VFR and VTA charts: need to buy
VFR phraseology: free

It's almost like learning a new language, Accronyms are used extensively in a complex environement always accounting for the following variables for any question:
are you VFR or IFR,
what class of airspace are you in
and where are you going.

It include one chapter about SFOC.

Once you pass their exam they can on your request reccomand you to write Transport Canada exam for a max of 40 days after your exam (dont quote me on the time limit it may be shorter). Looks like you can write their exam only once ...

You will learn to build and file and close a a flight plan, request take off clearance with appripriate control units and a lot of fun stuff.

Basic instruction from pilot training.ca?

It's almost a complete course for private pilot. They may have removed a few modules but they cover just about everything. There may be 30 hours of material but this add up to hundreads hours of studing. They lead you to other material you need to buy and learn
Staff instructions on SFOC (about 200 pages) : free
List of acronymns 150 pages. : free
A few CARs : free
Canadian flight supplement (0ver 400 pages for the general document + the one that apply to your region): need to buy
VFR and VTA charts: need to buy
VFR phraseology: free

It's almost like learning a new language, Accronyms are used extensively in a complex environement always accounting for the following variables for any question:
are you VFR or IFR,
what class of airspace are you in
and where are you going.

It include one chapter about SFOC.

Once you pass their exam they can on your request reccomand you to write Transport Canada exam for a max of 40 days after your exam (dont quote me on the time limit it may be shorter). Looks like you can write their exam only once ...

You will learn to build and file and close a a flight plan, request take off clearance with appripriate control units and a lot of fun stuff.

These things may seem complex, but most of them are needed to professionally fly a drone, file for SFOC, and know how to contact and speak with a tower or flight services/Civil Aviation Services office.

Although the course you've linked/referred to above is terrific, it's also overkill and not needed. I filed my first SFOC on my own and was unsuccessful. After a phone call with the CAS, it was resubmitted, and since that time they've all been successful. I can share a template with you if you'd like. SFOC doesn't however, provide training on how/where/when/why to fly. Programs at Humber (or a one-day course like mine) will be all you truly need. DronesPlus in Toronto has a great program, for example, it's both indoor and practical (real flight).

BTW, any place charging for nav maps...ripoff. They're free all over the internet. Transport Canada just put out a new freebie specifically for UAV.
Conversations from ANY school about IFR is simply BS. ALL UAV are VFR (Visual Flight Rules) ONLY. We're not military, we're not even comm-air. If you're comm-air, you're in the wrong forum. There is no TC test to write for UAV. Either something is being missed, or someone is misleading.

Last edited:
The general liability on your homeowners is *generally* good enough.
I don't have a website, but I am a designated trainer in Ontario for Henry's Camera and Drones Plus Toronto. I have worked many times with Transport Canada, and can assist on SFOC templates and initial training.

I also recommend Humber College for those in Ontario; Humber has an amazing product/training course with Yifei Zhao and her team. Anyone with a standing SFOC can likely provide good training. Anyone who doesn't have a standing...avoid them, IMO.

NO! ABSOLUTELY NO! The general liability on your Homeowners policy specifically Excludes model aircraft!
My wife is an insurance broker, I have her all over this!!!!!!!!!!!!!

1)Flying for HOBBY only = NO INSURANCE possible!!
ONLY MAAC. Which means you can legally only fly at a MAAC sanctioned air field!

2)Flying for Business or $$$. NO Insurance company will give you $100 000!! The minimum they offer is $500 000 Liability and the quotes I got where $750/year CAD. If you want to do it on the side. Its not worth it!!

What we need is an insurance policy for "Park Flyers" that will cover us at NON MAAC fields that is good for NON PROFIT use. That is cheaper than $65/month!!

NO! ABSOLUTELY NO! The general liability on your Homeowners policy specifically Excludes model aircraft!
My wife is an insurance broker, I have her all over this!!!!!!!!!!!!!

1)Flying for HOBBY only = NO INSURANCE possible!!
ONLY MAAC. Which means you can legally only fly at a MAAC sanctioned air field!

2)Flying for Business or $$$. NO Insurance company will give you $100 000!! The minimum they offer is $500 000 Liability and the quotes I got where $750/year CAD. If you want to do it on the side. Its not worth it!!

What we need is an insurance policy for "Park Flyers" that will cover us at NON MAAC fields that is good for NON PROFIT use. That is cheaper than $65/month!!

Doesn't matter how many bolds you use, some homeowners policies do indeed cover this. Verified by not one, not two, but more than three various insurance companies in Toronto. :confused: My homeowners policy allows for it as well. Commercial (1M+) insurance is available from many sources for around $800.00 per year and up. Simon Mahary at Magnes is one very reasonable source, as is Mercedes Alexandra from Armour Insurance. Humber students are covered with their course registration.
It is indeed important that one looks at their homeowners policy to be sure that it offers inclusions and exclusions. If in doubt, contact your insurance agent.
One does not have to fly at a MAAC field.
I suggest you attend one of the free drone days at Humber. Transport Canada, several insurance companies, and a wide variety of pilots attend.
Below, find a page from CanadianUnderwiters, which is linked to from a Transport Canada page wherein it says essentially what I've said above.

upload_2016-2-28_16-26-33.png

Reactions: CanadianSolo
Doesn't matter how many bolds you use, some homeowners policies do indeed cover this. Verified by not one, not two, but more than three various insurance companies in Toronto. :confused: My homeowners policy allows for it as well. Commercial (1M+) insurance is available from many sources for around $800.00 per year and up. Simon Mahary at Magnes is one very reasonable source, as is Mercedes Alexandra from Armour Insurance. Humber students are covered with their course registration.
It is indeed important that one looks at their homeowners policy to be sure that it offers inclusions and exclusions. If in doubt, contact your insurance agent.
One does not have to fly at a MAAC field.
I suggest you attend one of the free drone days at Humber. Transport Canada, several insurance companies, and a wide variety of pilots attend.
Below, find a page from CanadianUnderwiters, which is linked to from a Transport Canada page wherein it says essentially what I've said above.

View attachment 2623

HAHAHAH your providing the Community with FALSE INFORMATION! STOP providing FALSE INFORMATION!!! Call up your home owners policy ask them if your covered for Model aircraft / DRONES! lol lol lol They will laugh at you!

Trust me my wife sells insurance for all the TOP Canadian brokers! Granted every province is different, however one thing is the same, you cannot get Model Aircraft insurance on your home owners policy!!! Read the excerpt below from an insurance broker!

Piloting Drones for Your Business? Make Insurance Your Co-Pilot

Personal Insurance for Drone Usage
All personal property insurance policies, such as homeowners, condos or tenants, have specific exclusions for aircraft. At this point Insurance companies classify all model aircraft and drones, regardless of weight, as aircraft and thus liability coverage is specifically excluded.

What this means is someone who owns a drone aircraft will be flying it at their own risk, unless they use their drone for business then they can get commercial aviation insurance for the drone. For personal use drone insurance look to the hobby organizations to see where they get their insurance.

HAHAHAH your providing the Community with FALSE INFORMATION! STOP providing FALSE INFORMATION!!! Call up your home owners policy ask them if your covered for Model aircraft / DRONES! lol lol lol They will laugh at you!

Trust me my wife sells insurance for all the TOP Canadian brokers! Granted every province is different, however one thing is the same, you cannot get Model Aircraft insurance on your home owners policy!!! Read the excerpt below from an insurance broker!

I have, and they didn't laugh. They merely had some questions about what I was doing with my UAV's.
I've even provided the name of my insurance agency for you.
Sorry, can't trust your wife if this is what she's telling you. Believe it or not...spouses can be wrong, too.

Like Wil Rogers said..."A man convinced against his will..." Good luck, DK.

Each company issue their own policies that have their own exclusion. I would expect some MAY cover for hobby but I would be very surprised any would cover for comercial activities.
+
A broker represent you to an insurance company. If the broker makes a mistake it is your mistake.
If you deal with an insurance company directly and they tell you it is covered ask ti have it in writing, you would be covered.

I have, and they didn't laugh. They merely had some questions about what I was doing with my UAV's.
I've even provided the name of my insurance agency for you.
Sorry, can't trust your wife if this is what she's telling you. Believe it or not...spouses can be wrong, too.

Like Wil Rogers said..."A man convinced against his will..." Good luck, DK.

Your a complete, *insert choice abusive word*! HAHAHA your insurance broker might be new, and is ignorant to the policies and procedures of the Aviation Act. Their E&O is probably very high!! Still don't believe me ok here is one i just GOOGLED! first one that came up! So easy proving you wrong.

Personal Drones: Risk & Insurance for Unmanned Aircraft

How to read: Top to bottom, left to right, for headaches I recommend Advil.

due to the operation of an aircraft are excluded under our personal policies (for commercial purposes some types of protection are available on the market).

Your a complete, *insert choice abusive word*! HAHAHA your insurance broker might be new, and is ignorant to the policies and procedures of the Aviation Act. Their E&O is probably very high!! Still don't believe me ok here is one i just GOOGLED! first one that came up! So easy proving you wrong.

Personal Drones: Risk & Insurance for Unmanned Aircraft

How to read: Top to bottom, left to right, for headaches I recommend Advil.

due to the operation of an aircraft are excluded under our personal policies (for commercial purposes some types of protection are available on the market).

I'm impressed; you found an insurance carrier that doesn't allow for UAV. How unfortunate for them. They don't happen to be my carrier.
I'm quite comfortable with my broker, both personal and professional. They insure my home, my vehicle, and underwrote my (real) aircraft. In response to your last incendiary, my UAV isn't covered under my aircraft's policy. My 185 policy is exclusive.
On the other hand, since you've retreated to insults, consider me done with the conversation. Best regards to you and your wife. Dunning Kruger strikes again.;) Given my inability to comfortably speak in insult and bold..You win, you and your mrs know everything there is to know on the topic.

Last edited:
I'm impressed; you found an insurance carrier that doesn't allow for UAV. How unfortunate for them. They don't happen to be my carrier.
I'm quite comfortable with my broker, both personal and professional. They insure my home, my vehicle, and underwrote my (real) aircraft. On the other hand, since you've retreated to insults, consider me done with the conversation. Best regards to you and your wife. Dunning Kruger strikes again.;)

However, Im Impressed you still wont say, "im sorry I stand corrected" but you wont so I will keep CORRECTING you! Personal drone insurance is not covered on ANY personal home owners policy. Its like talking to a wall/beating a dead horse. Ugh....

These things may seem complex, but most of them are needed to professionally fly a drone, file for SFOC, and know how to contact and speak with a tower or flight services/Civil Aviation Services office.

Although the course you've linked/referred to above is terrific, it's also overkill and not needed. I filed my first SFOC on my own and was unsuccessful. After a phone call with the CAS, it was resubmitted, and since that time they've all been successful. I can share a template with you if you'd like. SFOC doesn't however, provide training on how/where/when/why to fly. Programs at Humber (or a one-day course like mine) will be all you truly need. DronesPlus in Toronto has a great program, for example, it's both indoor and practical (real flight).

BTW, any place charging for nav maps...ripoff. They're free all over the internet. Transport Canada just put out a new freebie specifically for UAV.
Conversations from ANY school about IFR is simply BS. ALL UAV are VFR (Visual Flight Rules) ONLY. We're not military, we're not even comm-air. If you're comm-air, you're in the wrong forum. There is no TC test to write for UAV. Either something is being missed, or someone is misleading.

I'm just studying this course for the simple fact that the SFOC is a system that you earn TC trust and they allow you more permissions over time. You need to show them you know the rules, respect them.

I never said it covers IFR but in the airspace there are others than UAV aircraft, there are some basics covered to understand who is around you.

Here is a link about information on Transport Canada (TC) exam :
TP 15263 – Knowledge Requirements for Pilots of Unmanned Air Vehicle Systems (UAV) 25 kg or Less, Operating within Visual Line of Sight - Transport Canada

I agree to be an overkill but the program vs TC requirement are identical.

They do not sell anything else than their course. Everyting else come from Nav Canada. I chose not to go with free charts because there are slight differences and I have enough.

Beleive me I agree this is an overkill but it comes from TC.

BTW I filed a request with Peru's goverment to bring a drone and their regulation is about the same as here, all their accronyms are based on english words, It really looks like there are international commities that are suggesting rules that countries choose to adopt or not. Thankfully for pilots flying international the rules are about the same. The aviation industry is not sure where the drone market will go. They base their first set of rules from the aviation world they know. If we want to share the ski we nee to know what is around us.

Anyone can ignore to learn all this and simply file SFOCs permissions will come slower for them I think.

I'm quite comfortable with my broker, both personal and professional. They insure my home, my vehicle, and underwrote my (real) aircraft. In response to your last incendiary, my UAV isn't covered under my aircraft's policy. My 185 policy is exclusive.
On the other hand, since you've retreated to insults, consider me done with the conversation. Best regards to you and your wife. Dunning Kruger strikes again.;) Given my inability to comfortably speak in insult and bold..You win, you and your mrs know everything there is to know on the topic.

I did some shopping on insurance becaus my company does not cover hobby or professional activities.
The price were way high for company that had no experience in this field (typically home and carr insurance) but found cheaper price from company already doing business in the aviation, usually they cover only under SFOC. If you show you have training and experienmce than it's really cheap (less than 500.00). I was quoted over 2000.00 from a major home insurance company.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ihatethatihavetomakeanacc