Why do I have to be a pilot? -explained

Same experience here. I fly with a guy who was a heli pilot, but now works for the FAA. He flies 750 size RC Helis and says they are much harder to fly than the real thing, and that the "seat of the pants" feel not being there makes it a real challenge.
Not to mention you can't put your feet on the pedals to control yaw!

Same experience here. I fly with a guy who was a heli pilot, but now works for the FAA. He flies 750 size RC Helis and says they are much harder to fly than the real thing, and that the "seat of the pants" feel not being there makes it a real challenge.

Yup, growing up my father had a small Cessna (150, then a 172), and I flew with him any chance I got. He let me fly it as soon as I could see over the instrument panel. Flying RC is way more difficult. In a real aircraft, your orientation never changes - no need to mentally reverse the controls, there's constant, immediate feedback, and you have all your peripheral vision. I picked up a small RC heli last winter in preparation for getting a AP multicopter. It took months of daily practice to be able to fly in all orientations. I nearly gave up.

Reactions: Maddog
Yup, growing up my father had a small Cessna (150, then a 172), and I flew with him any chance I got. He let me fly it as soon as I could see over the instrument panel. Flying RC is way more difficult. In a real aircraft, your orientation never changes - no need to mentally reverse the controls, there's constant, immediate feedback, and you have all your peripheral vision. I picked up a small RC heli last winter in preparation for getting a AP multicopter. It took months of daily practice to be able to fly in all orientations. I nearly gave up.
Glad you stuck it out, makes you a better pilot no doubt. Back in the 80s when I was teaching people to fly nitro helis, the only electronic help you had was a mechanical gyro for the tail rotor. The average time to learn to hover, before going into forward flight was 6 months!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ihatethatihavetomakeanacc