Cache Maps iPad mini 2

Reaction score
I have an iPad mini 2 wifi + cell. And I also have a nexus 7. On the nexus 7 I get an option to cache maps. But on my iPad there's no save button. How to I save maps on the iOS app? A lot of place in the country have no cell service. I'd like to save maps on both devices.

I am just looking for the same function myself. Hoping we get some good help here.

I have an iPad mini 2 wifi + cell. I'd like to save maps on both devices.

Tro,

The option to save cached maps is not available. Your iOS device will automatically cache maps. While connected to the Internet, go into the Solo app, zoom in and out of your flying area and that area will be automatically cached. Disconnect from the Internet, go back into the Solo app and everything should be there.

Jerry

Tro,

The option to save cached maps is not available. Your iOS device will automatically cache maps. While connected to the Internet, go into the Solo app, zoom in and out of your flying area and that area will be automatically cached. Disconnect from the Internet, go back into the Solo app and everything should be there.

Jerry
While flying should I disable cell data feed. I will sometimes fly in a marginal data feed area that could interfere with my cached map ?

While flying should I disable cell data feed. I will sometimes fly in a marginal data feed area that could interfere with my cached map ?

Milkman,

Honestly, I'm not sure. It does make sense to turn it off as you don't want it to try to update the map and possibly corrupt the data that is already cached. Just an opinion though. I use Tower a lot so I rarely use my iOS devices with my Solo.

Jerry

Milkman,

Honestly, I'm not sure. It does make sense to turn it off as you don't want it to try to update the map and possibly corrupt the data that is already cached. Just an opinion though. I use Tower a lot so I rarely use my iOS devices with my Solo.

Jerry
Thanks for the help.. Just completed my first flight and looking forward to my learning process.

My nexus 7 has arrived today. Looking forward to getting home and messing around with it. I was just curious. Thought maybe you could save maps, and bring them up at will. So it caches the last map. Got it.

Tro,

Jerry

Hi Jerry,
The Solo App must stay open when you disconnect or the map is lost. There is no way to save the map? I have all Apple iOS devices and ideally would like to use my iPhone 5s as a personal hotspot to provide Internet to my iPad mini which I use as the monitor to fly Solo. The iPhone gives me 3 ways to connect another device/computer to its Hotspot: wi-fi, bluetooth or USB cable. Can't connect to two wi-fi's at the same time. Have you tried using blue-tooth to connect iPhone to iPad? My iPad does not have cell service but I prefer flying with the bigger monitor and am trying to find a way to get real time Internet so I can use the smart shots more. Thanks for your help,
Kim

Tro,

Jerry
JR, since the last update, I can no longer get maps of any kind on my iPad mini 3. Support was unable to figure out why.:(

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alan r pfennig