Boat mode update

This is back to being in 3.4, as there's the complexity of coding the GPS modes to account for the velocity of the boat when taking off.

This is back to being in 3.4, as there's the complexity of coding the GPS modes to account for the velocity of the boat when taking off.
Yes, I would imagine it would be incredibly complex to do something like this. Essentially taking off from a moving home point. And what could it do in the event of loss of controller?

Loss of controller is the scary one, it'd either need a set rally point like the shore, or it would have to make a guess at the home point.

Really a fascinating feature or at least the interest in the challenges to make it work.

The more I dig deeper into the community that brought us Solo, the more I'm humbled by the community's collective intelligence. I look forward to contributing once I find my way...

First, this is important to me. I don't see a 'boat mode' listed in the notes via the link you sent, did I miss something? Please point me to the text that talks about 'boat mode'.

Second, I think they can handle it with a 'dynamic home point' (aka: Return to me) where the controller will periodically (perhaps every 5 or 10 seconds) send a new home point to the copter as the new RTL point. Also a mechanism should be there to have the option to have the copter hover and wait for a land command (unless power is about to deplete).

I wish I could get someone to think along these lines, I think it would be perfect, I'd be glad to test it for them (I have the boat)!

Another problem is that the sensors need to be able to calibrate when the boat is rocking. So far I have found this is a larger problem than the others.

Is there any road map for the Solo , what 3DR is working on and what we might look forward too.

We'll probably hear about 3DR's Solo plans at a trade show such as NAB.

First, this is important to me. I don't see a 'boat mode' listed in the notes via the link you sent, did I miss something? Please point me to the text that talks about 'boat mode'.

Second, I think they can handle it with a 'dynamic home point' (aka: Return to me) where the controller will periodically (perhaps every 5 or 10 seconds) send a new home point to the copter as the new RTL point. Also a mechanism should be there to have the option to have the copter hover and wait for a land command (unless power is about to deplete).

I wish I could get someone to think along these lines, I think it would be perfect, I'd be glad to test it for them (I have the boat)!

Another problem is that the sensors need to be able to calibrate when the boat is rocking. So far I have found this is a larger problem than the others.
The info about boat mode is buried deep in the comments to that link. The easiest way to find those comments is to search "boat mode" on that site (diydrones.com). You will actually see me over there asking about it. Latest info I have is January. Solo code is a branch of arducopter, but it should be integrated pretty quickly. Especially if more of you guys head over to DIY and ask about it (politely) in the arducopter group or the Solo group.

Reactions: EyeWingsuit

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Minh44