Bigger screen for solo controller

Reaction score
So, apologize if this has already come up but I can't seem to find an answer... Ideally I'd like to fly with a bigger screen than just my smartphone. I have both an older iPad and a Surface tablet. I have tried searching for the solo app but it doesn't seem to be available for either of my devices. Is this correct or am I missing something? I would think between the two of these one would work so I could have a bigger viewing area while in flight. ? Any comments are appreciated, thanks!

just use the hdmi port to your monitor, or any device that runs 4.3 with out the mod to bypass that, but if you still want to go dc use a dc tv and use the hdmi patch lead.
but the pad or tablet needs to be running ver 4.3 + for the solo app to work but these a mod as well somewhere on here to bypass the need for ver 4.3 wont run on the surface, but install apm and use that on the surface

just use the hdmi port to your monitor, or any device that runs 4.3 with out the mod to bypass that, but if you still want to go dc use a dc tv and use the hdmi patch lead.
but the pad or tablet needs to be running ver 4.3 + for the solo app to work but these a mod as well somewhere on here to bypass the need for ver 4.3 wont run on the surface, but install apm and use that on the surface

Do you have a recommendation for a monitor that will fit the mount. Everything should work except the map function...correct?

Why not get a newer iPad or an Android Tablet. Using HDMI out is only going to be a video feed. You wont have any telemetry or app functions.

Unfortunately there are not a lot of specialty apps for Surface, and the IPad you have just doesn't have the video horsepower to reliably run the app. If you want a medium screen (not the largest out there, but larger than your phone) I would get a Nexus 7 2013 tablet. They have GPS (for follow me). They will run Tower, and are $150 bucks at Amazon...

http://www.amazon.com/Nexus-Google-7-Inch-Black-Tablet/dp/B00DVFLJDS

Pretty sweet deal. I use it and it is flawless.

Why not get a newer iPad or an Android Tablet. Using HDMI out is only going to be a video feed. You wont have any telemetry or app functions.
I currently use an iPhone 6, but the screen is small. I also have an iPad Air but it is too big for the bracket. I really don't want to buy an iPad mini

You can try running an Android emulator like BlueStacks on your Surface. If the app is incompatible you can get the beta app which is pretty much the same thing but not locked to certain devices.

oldcolonel... just a heads up, I modified my bracket, which was easy to do, so it fits my HTC Hero phone.. but it can also expand to fit a full Ipad or anything inbetween. Unfortunately, I did this BEFORE realizing my regular Ipad wasn't going to work.. figures.. but it will certainly work with an IPad Mini.. if you want to know how I did it, let me know and I'll walk you through it. It took about 10 minutes. thanks to the rest too for the input. I'll try the BlueStacks suggestion and see what happens

actually, there was already a post (sorry, new here) on this... this link is almost the same way I did mine if this helps.. credit to this guy for sure. 3DR Solo Controller Mod

Unfortunately there are not a lot of specialty apps for Surface, and the IPad you have just doesn't have the video horsepower to reliably run the app. If you want a medium screen (not the largest out there, but larger than your phone) I would get a Nexus 7 2013 tablet. They have GPS (for follow me). They will run Tower, and are $150 bucks at Amazon...

http://www.amazon.com/Nexus-Google-7-Inch-Black-Tablet/dp/B00DVFLJDS

Pretty sweet deal. I use it and it is flawless.
Thanks for the tip. I use an iPad mini that works well but just ordered the Nexus so I will have an android device as well.

Thanks for the tip. I use an iPad mini that works well but just ordered the Nexus so I will have an android device as well.
And with Android you can run Tower. At the very least great for verbal notifications. Used to its capability it is a game changer. Truly amazing.

I have an iPad 4 gen and Galaxy NotePro 12.2 which both aren't compatible with Solo app. I sent an email to 3DR asking why not since they both have the horsepower. They said to respond with exact model numbers and software versions and they would try to test the devices or send me an app that would be compatible. They haven't got back with me yet.

As far as the controller bracket not fitting large screens, I'm very surprised nobody has 3D printed one up yet. I'm sure it's only a matter of time. I found a mount that will hold my 12" on amazon that just fits on a tripod.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
andre felipe colorado