Best way to look after motor pods

Yes a small needle aplicator works best. Just a drop on the bearings once a month or so. There is a specific oil that people here seem to favor but I don't recall the name. Just search motor pod noise and it is generally listed in one of the answering posts.

Tri-flo or simple gun oil will work. And don't let people tell you that it is unnecessary because of the 'sealed' bearing. Sealed bearings does not mean oil can't penetrate and be effective.

Tri-flo or simple gun oil will work. And don't let people tell you that it is unnecessary because of the 'sealed' bearing. Sealed bearings does not mean oil can't penetrate and be effective.
Yeah the seal only really keeps large particles out like dirt and dust. Oil will definitely penetrate the bearings used on solo. Otherwise my bearings that started squeaking at about 30 hours of flight (now have over 150 logged) would still be squeaking.

I oiled mine yesterday. one of the 4 pods was definitely more 'grippier' than the others, which rotated far easier, and had been the case since i bought the bird in may this year. after oiling, the amount of difference in rotation resistance was much reduced, although its still noticeable. with a bit of luck the oil will seep in to do its magic over the next few days flying. bought the triflow oil from bikebug here in brissy. there was a thread on here too from a dude on the gold coast who gave a step by step instruction list on the procedure, which I followed along with the photos above, which helped greatly too.

Sure, but the applicator needle is at the other end of the tube....;)
Rich... as a child, did you find that people just didn't understand you? :confused: o_O :D

I'm more than a little worried that I do...

I oiled mine yesterday. one of the 4 pods was definitely more 'grippier' than the others, which rotated far easier, and had been the case since i bought the bird in may this year. after oiling, the amount of difference in rotation resistance was much reduced, although its still noticeable. with a bit of luck the oil will seep in to do its magic over the next few days flying. bought the triflow oil from bikebug here in brissy. there was a thread on here too from a dude on the gold coast who gave a step by step instruction list on the procedure, which I followed along with the photos above, which helped greatly too.
Some of that resistance is normal and is caused by the magnets in the motor. Many of us call it "cogging".

Reactions: Chardia
Beware of breaking the pogo wires on the ECS
when you put back the motor in the solo arms
i suggest you remove the battery cradle
and pull the wires instead of pushing the wires ECS to fit back in the arms

Last edited:
I'm not sure because I haven't used Tri-Flow extensively, but isn't it a bit like BreakFree? That's a Teflon-infused lube I use nearly exclusively on my guns and equipment. After steady use an excellent Teflon layer develops on bearing surfaces.
It's perfect for firearms, but I wonder if it couldn't build up extensively in bearings to the clogging point.
Then again maybe that'd be even better! What the heck do I know? :cool:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nothingworks