Best Tablet under $175 for 3DR Solo?

I got the AT&T Trek 2 also known as ZTE K88. It works well and is 149.00 outright or 99 cents with 2 year contract for 10.00 a month which includes LTE connection. 16gb storage and 2GB of ram. the 2 GB of ram is what I was most concerned with. I wasn't sure I needed the LTE or not but its nice to have. Solid tablet so far.

Maybe I'll get the Nvidia Shield. It should work very well for the Solo. I have no other use for a small tablet since I already own a Tab S2 9.7 and a Tab Pro 12.2. Besides, please hold the attacks, apparently, it will fit in the Mavic Pro controller if I end up going that way later. Oh and per reports, it updates to 7.0 immediately.

Maybe I'll get the Nvidia Shield. It should work very well for the Solo. I have no other use for a small tablet since I already own a Tab S2 9.7 and a Tab Pro 12.2. Besides, please hold the attacks, apparently, it will fit in the Mavic Pro controller if I end up going that way later. Oh and per reports, it updates to 7.0 immediately.
Mine didn't update immediately however it did update to Nougat last week. Android usually rolls out in stages. You might get it right away, you might not.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

I also am very happy with the Nvidia Shield K1. The landscape format is really nice with the Solo controller.

It also has HDMI out, so hopefully can be used with different headsets (Avegant Glyph, maybe VR?).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Picked up a BB house brand Insignia for $60 normally $70, if you watch it you can catch the $10 off pretty frequently. So far it's run the Solo app without a issue. It was suggested by someone else on the forum that had good luck with it. Only issue I've had is remembering to turn it off, it kills the battery pretty quickly when left in snooze unlike my iPad.

Picked up a BB house brand Insignia for $60 normally $70, if you watch it you can catch the $10 off pretty frequently. So far it's run the Solo app without a issue. It was suggested by someone else on the forum that had good luck with it. Only issue I've had is remembering to turn it off, it kills the battery pretty quickly when left in snooze unlike my iPad.

Does this run pretty smoothly? I wouldn't be using this for anything other than the Solo or Solex app.

Dan

So far with the Solo app and the simulator it's run fine. I've just started with it. Haven't loaded Solex yet, trying to get in the air with box-stock configuration before I start tinkering with anything else. I'll know a little more after this weekend if weather holds out. richnat is who pointed me towards the Insignia.

@richnat

So far with the Solo app and the simulator it's run fine. I've just started with it. Haven't loaded Solex yet, trying to get in the air with box-stock configuration before I start tinkering with anything else. I'll know a little more after this weekend if weather holds out. richnat is who pointed me towards the Insignia.

@richnat

Thanks

Thus far my Insignia tablet has worked fine in general. It has a decent screen and doesn't suffer from video lag, well it is about a 1/2 second behind but that's pretty normal for anything. I'm having trouble getting smart shots to work well, they didn't with my Galaxy S4 either but I still suspect the GPS on this tablet is pretty weak. I downloaded some apps that let you see how well the GPS is working or not. We'll see what they say.

just got my Nvidia Shield that I bought new off Ebay for $150..

worked well in the late AM sun. got to compare it to someone flying w/an Ipod mini and they were about the same brightness.

I could see everything but it still does need a shade to see things better so need to pick up something to make one out of (besides a pizza box :) )

Does this run pretty smoothly? I wouldn't be using this for anything other than the Solo or Solex app.

Dan

Sorry for the delay. Yes it runs great with the 2megs of ram there is plenty of overhead. I also have a Nextbit Robin android phone with 3 gigs of ram and Snapdragon 808 processor. The tablet has a Snapdragon 615 processor and it runs as smooth as it does on the more powerful phone. I am happy so far.

Sorry for the delay. Yes it runs great with the 2megs of ram there is plenty of overhead. I also have a Nextbit Robin android phone with 3 gigs of ram and Snapdragon 808 processor. The tablet has a Snapdragon 615 processor and it runs as smooth as it does on the more powerful phone. I am happy so far.
No worries, thanks for the info

I also am very happy with the Nvidia Shield K1. The landscape format is really nice with the Solo controller.

It also has HDMI out, so hopefully can be used with different headsets (Avegant Glyph, maybe VR?).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I'm really thinking about getting this tablet. What data plan do you use and how many gigs?
Also any problems streaming video from GoPro?
Thanks
Cheers

I'm really thinking about getting this tablet. What data plan do you use and how many gigs?
Also any problems streaming video from GoPro?
Thanks
Cheers

Its 10.00 a month for 3 gigs of LTE with no overages they just throttle you to slower speed. I have several other devices as well all on AT&T.

just got my Nvidia Shield that I bought new off Ebay for $150..

worked well in the late AM sun. got to compare it to someone flying w/an Ipod mini and they were about the same brightness.

I could see everything but it still does need a shade to see things better so need to pick up something to make one out of (besides a pizza box :) )

The Box it came in if sturdy and add some Black Foam Board and Gorilla Tape. Works great!

I use no plan. Just WiFi.

I see. So you don't really need a data plan in order to get wifi out in the field with Solo is what you are saying.
If that's the case I'm going to go with the K1. Thanks for the info, much appreciated.

"So you don't really need a data plan"
correct.

I connect it to my home wifi to download solo, tower from play.google, and prefetch the maps.

at the field, I connect it to the solo wifi.

I don't use a memory card - yet - and can use a usb cable to browse the tablet's files if needed.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mr M