Best Solo Upgrades

Reaction score
Good afternoon gents. I'm happy to say I've just bought the solo and it should be with me next week. I own the Iris+ so I'm not new to the world of 3DR or drones in general. What upgrades/mods have guys found work well with the solo as opposed to the stock equipment? I'm assuming the antenna's for the controller would be a good start. Thanks in advance

I would just fly it awhile first
Most of the issues are dealt with in firmware updates
if you need super long distance there are antenna and even wifi card upgrades
I get 2000 feet stock so have not bothered

Reactions: Maddog and Steve_K
Thank for the reply Pyrate. I was considering the leg extenders to raise the gimbal further from the floor.

Yours might come with, and if not registering will get you there
if not IMP and Relish make leg extensions
I use the ones 3DR shipped for registering, they work great and still fit the back pack

Let's hope so. Have they sorted out the functionality for changing the GoPro settings through the iPad/tablet?

Welcome to the forum, Steve. Like pyrate, I get 2000 ft+ with the stock antennas. You may want to later on go with a FPVLR setup, as it works great in congested WiFi areas, as well as if you need longer distances. I don't fly out farther than I can see, but I did a test with my FPVLR, and got a little over a mile with 2 signal bars left. That is way more than I will ever need. Good luck, and safe flying.

Last edited:
Reactions: Steve_K
Thanks for the warm welcome chuck and I appreciate the pointers. I have the fatshark antenna's for my Iris+ but to be honest I wasn't overly impressed with them. Here's a question for you chuck: I'm in the Royal Marines and we have a deployment coming up onboard ship. I'd love to have the solo take off from the flight deck and orbit the ship while at sea. I know it's highly risky but my main issue is the RTL point will be different front the position of the ship due to the ship moving. So if there's any issue with the vehicle it'll automatically RTL into the sea. Plus the potential interference from transmitters etc. I likely won't do it due to the risks but I'm just trying to work out if it's viable.

Thanks for the warm welcome chuck and I appreciate the pointers. I have the fatshark antenna's for my Iris+ but to be honest I wasn't overly impressed with them. Here's a question for you chuck: I'm in the Royal Marines and we have a deployment coming up onboard ship. I'd love to have the solo take off from the flight deck and orbit the ship while at sea. I know it's highly risky but my main issue is the RTL point will be different front the position of the ship due to the ship moving. So if there's any issue with the vehicle it'll automatically RTL into the sea. Plus the potential interference from transmitters etc. I likely won't do it due to the risks but I'm just trying to work out if it's viable.
Steve- thank you for your service!
Here's a thread which discusses boat launching- basically it's not possible to get Solo armed for takeoff from a rocking ship deck or by holding it.
Boat Mode

Steve- thank you for your service!
Here's a thread which discusses boat launching- basically it's not possible to get Solo armed for takeoff from a rocking ship deck or by holding it.
Boat Mode
Thank you. That's unfortunate that you can't launch from a moving boat or by holding it. I suppose the only way of doing it would be to launch it when the ship is docked. It's not the same and the footage won't be as dramatic but it's better than nothing I suppose

Thank you. That's unfortunate that you can't launch from a moving boat or by holding it. I suppose the only way of doing it would be to launch it when the ship is docked. It's not the same and the footage won't be as dramatic but it's better than nothing I suppose
Agreed- there's a workaround but it involves having an Android device, downloading the Tower app, changing Solo parameters, etc.
Not something we would recommend to somebody brand new to Solo.

Agreed- there's a workaround but it involves having an Android device, downloading the Tower app, changing Solo parameters, etc.
Not something we would recommend to somebody brand new to Solo.

Well I have all of the above already due to me already owning the Iris+. I'm assuming the parameters are changed in the same way as they are for the Iris? I'll delve into the params when I get it as I need the follow me mode to attain a lot more than 15mph as I'm planning on using it for motocross

Reactions: Maddog
Well I have all of the above already due to me already owning the Iris+. I'm assuming the parameters are changed in the same way as they are for the Iris? I'll delve into the params when I get it as I need the follow me mode to attain a lot more than 15mph as I'm planning on using it for motocross
Oops- my bad. I forgot you mentioned you were already a new Iris owner. The params are mentioned in the boat thread, near the end.
Don't know anything about changing Iris params.:(

Oops- my bad. I forgot you mentioned you were already a new Iris owner. The params are mentioned in the boat thread, near the end.
Don't know anything about changing Iris params.:(

Thanks for that. I'll have a look over it. I'm sure it won't be too much of a hassle. It took a lot of headaches and money to get my FPV and Iris+ working properly so I'm hoping the solo won't be as intensive to get up and running

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alan r pfennig