Best Settings For Fireworks?

Reaction score
Like many others, I'll be filming the fireworks display they'll be having in my area and I'll be filming with the GoPro HERO3+ Black Edition.

What are the recommended settings? I'm thinking maybe 60fps, low light on, ProTune on, low sharpness. Is it safe to record in 30fps or will that increase the jello effect?

I use: 1080, 30 FPS, medium FOV
Protune- on
WB- 5500K
Color- GoPro
ISO- 6400
Sharpness- medium
EV comp- 0

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

I use: 1080, 30 FPS, medium FOV
Protune- on
WB- 5500K
Color- GoPro
ISO- 6400
Sharpness- medium
EV comp- 0

Thanks. Does framerate have any effect at all on jello? My previous gimbal was shaky when I shot it at 30fps. Returned it and got a new one. Shooting at 60fps now it's super smooth. Not sure if it's the framerate or the fact that I got a new gimbal that fixed it.

Also, is your low light mode on or off?

Thanks. Does framerate have any effect at all on jello? My previous gimbal was shaky when I shot it at 30fps. Returned it and got a new one. Shooting at 60fps now it's super smooth. Not sure if it's the framerate or the fact that I got a new gimbal that fixed it.

Also, is your low light mode on or off?
60 FPS will always look smoother, but you may not get enough light.
Low lite mode is off.

How bad is the jello(if any) at 30fps? That's my main concern.
Your shutter speed should be pretty slow in the low light conditions...so 30fps should be ok. But if 60 is available why not use it? In bright light definitely use 60fps.

I shot this with a GP 3 White
1080 @30fps
Easiest fireworks footage I have gotten yet!

1080 @30fps
Very good. I would have added a bit of the fireworks audio. I planned to do the same but we got rain. Maybe next year!!

1080 @30fps
Wow- that was the best aerial footage I've ever seen! (Besides news stations)
How far were you from the shells? Looks like they came close to solo.
Some of those shots were so good they almost look fake, but I know they weren't.

Thanks.
I was very close to the shells and some blew within 20ft of the Solo, if not closer.
It's a very small target, so it hasn't been hit... yet.
Gotta get in where the action is! ;)
I like the 3D effect it gets while orbiting. Makes those shooting stars come alive!
That was the first time I flew my Solo, short of the quick hover test above my home two times when I first got it about three weeks ago.
It was so incredibly easy to fly.. Just set the Orbit and I could concentrate on moving the cam and some adjustments for moving Solo in closer or up higher...
Solo did a great job of locking onto the GPS coordinates I tagged, which was the launchpad for the fireworks. I was amazed at how it would adapt to my changes in horizontal and vertical position for the best shots possible.
Last year I tried to do the same thing with a DIY build F450 DJI with Naza M and Tarot gimbal.
It did OK, but nothing like what Solo let me do.
Here's that vid..
It was shot with the same GoPro 3 White cam.
I now have a Black 3+ so I can do remote recording and better rez.

You're right about the 3D effect- I couldn't put my finger on it but that's why it looks so much better than video you see on TV shot from a distance!

Great flying, rookie.:D

Thanks.
I was very close to the shells and some blew within 20ft of the Solo, if not closer.
It's a very small target, so it hasn't been hit... yet.
Gotta get in where the action is! ;)
I like the 3D effect it gets while orbiting. Makes those shooting stars come alive!
That was the first time I flew my Solo, short of the quick hover test above my home two times when I first got it about three weeks ago.
It was so incredibly easy to fly.. Just set the Orbit and I could concentrate on moving the cam and some adjustments for moving Solo in closer or up higher...
Solo did a great job of locking onto the GPS coordinates I tagged, which was the launchpad for the fireworks. I was amazed at how it would adapt to my changes in horizontal and vertical position for the best shots possible.
Last year I tried to do the same thing with a DIY build F450 DJI with Naza M and Tarot gimbal.
It did OK, but nothing like what Solo let me do.
Here's that vid..
It was shot with the same GoPro 3 White cam.
I now have a Black 3+ so I can do remote recording and better rez.
Solo video is definitely much better, I think in part because you were much closer or so it appears.

I think the 3D effect may not "look real" because it reminds me of CGI fx seen in movies.. but that's REAL! :D

The Solo vid is better because the cam was locking in place.
The DJI/Tarot vid looks like I was having Tourettes fits.. mainly because I was doing the flying with Fatshark goggles on while my wife operated a 2nd radio to tilt the cam as I told her to..
She couldnt see the cam's POV, just me.. so it was kinda the blind leading the blind there, haha.
But the jittery yaw movements in the DJI vid was pretty bad.. Solo has a pretty good compensation for small jerks of yaw changes.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alan r pfennig