Best GoPro Settings for Fireworks

Reaction score
I'm looking to fly over the fireworks we will be shooting this evening and would like to know what the best settings for this are. Any comments from you pro videographers would be appreciated...

Hey, after seeing this video, I just can't resist.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

I will fly very high and to the side for a while to gauge where the shots are exploding, but I'd like to get over them at one point.

NEWS HEADLINE:

"Drone crashes into fireworks display setting off an explosion after crashing into launch area."

Just saying.....................

That would be a sensational headline! However, headlines like this don't often get printed:

"Drone crashes in middle of open field near 2 families enjoying fireworks."

Last edited:
I'm looking to fly over the fireworks we will be shooting this evening and would like to know what the best settings for this are. Any comments from you pro videographers would be appreciated...
Any GoPro other that the 4 is useless as far as night time video. The 4 has a night time setting.

Guess I have to go ahead, bite the bullet, and pick up a GP4. Anyone interested in a very good, used, GP3+ Black? :)

Oh, and here's my weak attempt. It's also in the Photos and Vids area. Settings:

GPH3+B, 1080/60, med FOV, PT, WB 3000K, Flat color, ISO400, Low sharpness, +2 Exp, Low Light mode on. No color correction or stabilization was done.

Oh, and here's my weak attempt. It's also in the Photos and Vids area. Settings:

GPH3+B, 1080/60, med FOV, PT, WB 3000K, Flat color, ISO400, Low sharpness, +2 Exp, Low Light mode on. No color correction or stabilization was done.

Awesome! Not bad!

That's why it was done in a large, open field and I never got over 200 feet flying almost directly above me. Nope - I shouldn't have been flying at night, but the draw of trying out fireworks shots was too strong...

Night flights are not outlawed. I myself have filmed fireworks. It was in an extremely rural setting on private property by a licensed explosives handler.

Reactions: dirkclod
If you're a member of the AMA, you can fly using their rules and not the FAA, including using FPV goggles and flying at night as long as you are properly lit up.

Recreational Users | Know Before You Fly
Under the Special Rule for Model Aircraft, recreational UAS must be operated in accordance with several requirements, including a community-based set of safety guidelines and within the programming of a nationwide community-based organization such as the Academy of Model Aeronautics (AMA). Operators not operating within the safety program of a community-based organization should follow the FAA’s guidance here.

Well, someone has to mention this. This is a bonehead idea. Please reconsider; you are giving all of us a bad name. Flying over fireworks at night is not only unsafe and and in contravention of the FAA safety guidelines for recreational use, Recreational Users | Know Before You Fly, it is calculated to give us headlines like the one in the NY Times on January 27: http://www.nytimes.com/2016/01/28/style/neighbors-drones-invade-privacy.html?_r=0
Why is it a bone head idea. Here in Australia our Sydney NYE fireworks have had drones flying through them for the last two years for broadcast tv. Our harbor on that night is very densely populated during the event. If done properly it can be done safely - yes they flew through the fireworks. Just need the right processes and approvals. FYI the flights were all CASA (FAA equiv in Aus) approved.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ihatethatihavetomakeanacc