Best Buy bundle now 379.99

opened solo app turned on controller turned on solo connected to wy-fi in app wating on solo then it is connected so solo wating on gps then push fly motors start then push fly it hovers about 10ft i go up to 20ft fly 50yards straight out then i get "fly" it was like someone kicked it left , i had no control i tried a+b+pause nothing hit tall grass & flipped over
i was in field with no abstructions houses powerlines nothing gust a gas golf cart. NO WIND!

i looked at this forum 4 a week , joined fri dn-loaded manual for solo read twice over weekend.
bought two 399. deals at bb on monday never put gimbal or new gopro 4black on solo, i wanted to see how it flew first.

opened solo app turned on controller turned on solo connected to wy-fi in app wating on solo then it is connected so solo wating on gps then push fly motors start then push fly it hovers about 10ft i go up to 20ft fly 50yards straight out then i get "fly" it was like someone kicked it left , i had no control i tried a+b+pause nothing hit tall grass & flipped over
i was in field with no abstructions houses powerlines nothing gust a gas golf cart. NO WIND!
Trying to decipher.. sounds as though it may have lost GPS, then found it again in flight. From what you describe, I don't know why. Regardless, you should have had control if it showed and then said "Fly".

I've only tried A+B+Pause on the bench - for obvious reasons - but it never did seem instantaneous to me; faster than holding down left stick, but not instant. Solex can program your Pause button to instant Kill, but with obvious consequences.

i just dont understand why it would not go up-down- left or right.
only thing i could rember was a+b+pause
and your right it did not shut down.
i have 10 days to return to bb, i just dont want to break the solo

Solo could have initiated an RTH somewhere in there, but from one of your above loose descriptions, you may have lost GPS, then re-found it during flight, which would make that your new "home".

At any rate, GPS aside, your antennas should look like this:
Screen-Shot-2015-08-07-at-11.53.13-AM-1024x258.png

Programming and using the A or B button to Fly: Manual can often get you out of scrapes.

Been looking around trying to set a price alert for Best Buy on their solo sale. Can't seem to find one that will allow me to set an alert on that item. Any suggestions? I check the BB site several times a day to see if the price has gone down from the current $399 deal but that seems a hard way to do it. Thanks

Been looking around trying to set a price alert for Best Buy on their solo sale. Can't seem to find one that will allow me to set an alert on that item. Any suggestions? I check the BB site several times a day to see if the price has gone down from the current $399 deal but that seems a hard way to do it. Thanks
Welcome, MCPOJack. I don't know if Best Buy has a price alert. The lowest price I have seen for a bundle is $379.99. I bought it at $399.99 2 days earlier, and took the receipt back and they matched the lower price. Just a warning.....If you wait too long for the lowest price, you take the risk of their inventory running out. It is a crap shoot. Good luck to you.

Reactions: MCPOJack
Welcome, MCPOJack. I don't know if Best Buy has a price alert. The lowest price I have seen for a bundle is $379.99. I bought it at $399.99 2 days earlier, and took the receipt back and they matched the lower price. Just a warning.....If you wait too long for the lowest price, you take the risk of their inventory running out. It is a crap shoot. Good luck to you.
That is for sure. My local BB will not tell me what they have in inventory so I guess I will wait a few days and then go for it. Like you say if the price drops they will more than likely make up the difference. I already have one and I love it but would like to have a "spare".

after buying anything from BBY, if the price drops within 15 days, just bring your receipt(or if you have a My Best Buy rewards account just have them reprint out a receipt) and they will give you the difference. key phrase= within 15 days.

If you bought online you can also just email customer support and they will credit. That's what I did. Was painless.

Just wondering, did you do the calibration part?

I went to the store and they told me it was a 4 hour sale event or one of them 1 day sale and wont credit me the $20. Oh well, its still a great price for a drone and i'm really satisfied with its performance.

they are correct. the $379.99 price was the "deal of the day", for that day.

Last edited:
Before powering on, make sure Solo is level and keep Solo still during startup and while the sensors initialize. Moving Solo during this process causes the sensors to calibrate incorrectly and can create a preflight error or affect in-flight performance.
And nothing about calibrate in pre flight checklist

7.1 Preflight Errors
Before starting the motors, Solo runs a series of automatic checks to ensure that the system is ready for flight. If Solo encounters an error during these preflight checks, the controller will display the encountered error along with instructions for the corresponding calibration to perform.
7.1.1 Calibration The following errors indicate that a preflight check is in progress: altitude calibrating, calibrating solo, and calibrating compass. Please wait for the error to clear before continuing.
Figure 7.1.1.1: Controller - Calibration in Progress Alerts
If Solo is not placed on a level surface, you will receive the following alert to move Solo to a level surface for takeoff.
Figure 7.1.1.2: Controller - Uneven Surface Alert
If Solo requires manual calibration, the following alert messages show the displays for compass and level calibrations. Refer to Section 10.2 for compass- and level-calibration instructions.
Figure 7.1.1.3: Controller - Re-Calibration Required Alerts
If a calibration or sensor error occurs during startup, one of the following alerts appears. To clear the error, restart Solo.

Trying to decipher.. sounds as though it may have lost GPS, then found it again in flight. From what you describe, I don't know why. Regardless, you should have had control if it showed and then said "Fly".

I've only tried A+B+Pause on the bench - for obvious reasons - but it never did seem instantaneous to me; faster than holding down left stick, but not instant. Solex can program your Pause button to instant Kill, but with obvious consequences.
I didn't think Solo would go back into "FLY" after it dropped itself into "FLY:MANUAL". I was under the impression you would have to press the FLY button to get back to the "FLY" flight mode.

Anyway... to the OP Program one of your A B buttons to be "FLY:MANUAL", this is so if Solo does anything funny you just press that button and you know you are in "FLY:MANUAL". I have it programmed to the "A" button.

I didn't think Solo would go back into "FLY" after it dropped itself into "FLY:MANUAL". I was under the impression you would have to press the FLY button to get back to the "FLY" flight mode.

Anyway... to the OP Program one of your A B buttons to be "FLY:MANUAL", this is so if Solo does anything funny you just press that button and you know you are in "FLY:MANUAL". I have it programmed to the "A" button.
Nowhere in that post you quoted did barryo say he was in Fly: Manual. In post #72 he alluded to being in 'manual' after he hit 'Fly' - which doesn't make any sense.
barryo: "got one from bb, no problems getting up and flying. open field 50yards says "fly" ok now its in manual mode"

Because of the incoherencies in barryo's posts, I never got a firm handle on what he was experiencing, what mode the bird was in, and when. However, in post #85 I did suggest to him that he program a button to Fly: Manual.

when it says "fly" dosent that mean it put itself in manual mode?

when it says "fly" dosent that mean it put itself in manual mode?
No, Fly is what it says when (after) it arms itself. Fly: Manual is one of the several Advanced Flight Modes. That's why I suggested programming the A or B button to Fly: Manual.
Advanced Flight Modes | 3DR - Drone & UAV Technology

ETA: After it arms itself AND locks GPS.
ETA 2: That is, Fly is the default mode and will allow you to start the motors after GPS lock.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alan r pfennig