best battery storage method

Reaction score
I'm wondering how best to extend the life of our Solo lipo batteries in regards to storing them over winter months when flying opportunities are fewer. Some forum members say keep them at 50% capacity if not flying for two weeks or longer. Sounds like 5/8 LEDs equates to 50% charge and that a fully charged battery will discharge itself over a couple of weeks to reach the optimal 50% storage level. Thereafter, do we simply monitor level periodically to keep them charged at 5/8 LEDs during long storage periods?

I'm wondering how best to extend the life of our Solo lipo batteries in regards to storing them over winter months when flying opportunities are fewer. Some forum members say keep them at 50% capacity if not flying for two weeks or longer. Sounds like 5/8 LEDs equates to 50% charge and that a fully charged battery will discharge itself over a couple of weeks to reach the optimal 50% storage level. Thereafter, do we simply monitor level periodically to keep them charged at 5/8 LEDs during long storage periods?

4 or 5/8 leds is about right @QuadBase, if Im not flying for a few days I will leave them at this 'half' full level.
Lipos are stressed if they are full and they are stressed if they are empty, so leave them in the middle if they are not being used.
The self discharge to 50% thing is a myth. I think that was officially denied by a 3DR rep. They may be smart, but (apparently) they are not that smart.

Reactions: Nerius and QuadBase

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alan r pfennig