Battery storage

Reaction score
My battery store solution. This takes the battery to 53 percent.

Attachments

• 0616211109.jpg
    0616211109.jpg
    7.3 MB · Views: 16
  • 0616211112a.jpg
    0616211112a.jpg
    7.7 MB · Views: 17
  • 0616211112.jpg
    0616211112.jpg
    6.6 MB · Views: 19
  • 0616211157.jpg
    0616211157.jpg
    4.7 MB · Views: 17
Reactions: makatanav
if I`m correct, then 3DR Solo BMS discharges battery by itself after a time
but better for long time storega, idscharge it to 50% yes

Reactions: Davideo
My battery store solution. This takes the battery to 53 percent.
Stuff I should have added: to use, connect battery and discharger then power on battery and set cell count and discharge current. Also, you can make connector cable by splicing am XT60 connector into the Solo battery charger and just use that cable.

Stuff I should have added : to use , connect battery and discharger then power on battery, set cell count and discharge current, Also , you can make a connector cable by splicing an XT60 into the output cable on a Solo battery charger.

Why go through this effort?

As @makatanav mentions, this function is built into the BMS of the original Solo battery. If you are using an original Solo battery, or a hobby battery with the BMS from a Solo battery, the BMS will discharge the battery to 50%.

When charging before a flight, charge to 100%.

When storing a battery with Solo BMS, charge to anywhere over 50% and the BMS will bring charge down to 50% automatically for storage.

Is there a benefit of using your method instead of letting the BMS manage the charge?

I wasn't aware of the built in management. I have other systems without proper management so I use storage on all. The only benefit I can see with my system is a prompt return to storage level. You are right, it isn't necessary.

I'm back! Thanks for pointing out the automatic discharge function. I am currently running a test on one and am getting one percent per day. That would be 50 days for a fully charged battery. If anyone can verify what I'm seeing I would appreciate it. I am a little nervous about charged batteries, I've had a lipo fire.

I'm back! Thanks for pointing out the automatic discharge function. I am currently running a test on one and am getting one percent per day. That would be 50 days for a fully charged battery. If anyone can verify what I'm seeing I would appreciate it. I am a little nervous about charged batteries, I've had a lipo fire.
I usually see a couple of weeks and it is down to storage voltage. I don't see any more likelihood of a fire with a battery that is 98% charged vs 50% charged. If you want to discharge faster you can just put it on the Solo and power it up. With gimbal and GoPro on it, it will discharge at around 1A just sitting there. That's about 2 or 3 hours to half charge I'd guess.

Fires usually occur during charging or discharging. Have you experienced a charged Lipo battery catching fire while sitting undisturbed?

Reactions: Joe Horn
Two fires. One from an esc failure, rc aircraft straight in full throttle from about 250 feet. One from unattended charge in my shed. I have 7 NIB Solo batteries safely tucked away but am relieved by the quality of the current equipment. I am one of a small group of hobby folks, we learn as we go. About half refuse to go get quads.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pvt solo