Battery level drops suddenly

Reaction score
I've finally been able to get some air time thanks to decent weather. Until today time only allowed enough usage on one battery charge. So, I thought today would be a good day to get in some quality air time. First flight went good, it was when I went for second flight things almost went horribly awry.
I powered down swapped batteries, powered up, took to the air. Within seconds the battery level plummeted. It was so quick, I heard " battery at 3% , better land or her out your card dude " (yes it actually said that). I tried charging that battery and reattempting flight, it didn't drop quite as fast, but within a few minutes it was almost dead again.
I have everything packed up, as we are headed out on vacation for a week, but I'm curious if anyone has any thoughts.
Bad battery?

Unfortunately there's bad new old stock batteries out there, I've had a few. There's a couple threads how to recover them and I have had moderate success, about 50/50.

Don't take a chance ditch the bad ones; new batteries are still reasonably priced, but get them from a reputable vendor.

Reactions: daniel s and skyhax
I've finally I startrdeen able to get some air time thanks to decent weather. Until today time only allowed enough usage on one battery charge. So, I thought today would be a good day to get in some quality air time. First flight went good, it was when I went for second flight things almost went horribly awry.
I powered down swapped batteries, powered up, took to the air. Within seconds the battery level plummeted. It was so quick, I heard " battery at 3% , better land or her out your card dude " (yes it actually said that). I tried charging that battery and reattempting flight, it didn't drop quite as fast, but within a few minutes it was almost dead again.
I have everything packed up, as we are headed out on vacation for a week, but I'm curious if anyone has any thoughts.
Bad battery?
My first 2 batteries worked fine for about 20 flights then i started having the same issues ur having now. .being a new pilot I kept them fully charged all the time. And would run them down to about 6% while flying. .found out on this forum I ruined the cells. .when not in use store batteries at 50% charge then top thrm off before u go flying. .also never run them below 15%..expesive lesson I learned. .my new batteries work perfect now. .all due to this forum. Hope this helps u ..my first 2 batteries are paper weights now..

Don't toss those batteries, recalibrate! If you fly them below 20% chances are good you will have to recalibrate. I have been able to recover all my batteries (so far) by doing this:
3DR Solo - Smart Battery Calibration — Copter documentation

Solex has a built-in feature to run your batteries down to the perfect level indoors (without the annoying alarm!). Solex also has a feature that detects if your batteries are draining too quick in-flight it will RTH. Get Solex!

Grab this tool to check your batteries' health before you fly (and after recalibration):
Solotool - 3DR battery diagnostic tool

All the batteries are getting long in the tooth. If recalibration doesn't work, its probably time to recycle them. Its very dangerous to open them up.

Good luck!

Unfortunately there's bad new old stock batteries out there, I've had a few. There's a couple threads how to recover them and I have had moderate success, about 50/50.

Don't take a chance ditch the bad ones; new batteries are still reasonably priced, but get them from a reputable vendor.

Would you happen to know know any off hand (saved link?) . That battery is toast and I'm looking to replace it. Just trying to save myself a little time (and potential headaches)

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fatbeatle