battery calibration??

Reaction score
how do u guys get your batt to 12volts, the control and app still say 13 something and even a multimeter and its low enough to where the lights blinks and turns off, im wanting to do a battery calibration, also running the sidepilot app, don’t have any androids

If you've gotten to the point that the battery is shutting down, then you can start the charging calibration. Sounds like you have a crapping battery, but try a calibration charge.

I'm not sure of the correct term, but the battery has a "hysteresis" when draining under a load. Once the load is removed and/or that the battery cools, the voltage will rise a certain percentage...maybe a single volt, just depends.

As to how to drain, several threads here prescribe various methods, just depends on what is easiest for you. I use a series of 12vdc auto lamps, about 160W worth, to drain the batteries down to 50% for storage. I guess the same tool could be used for re-calibration discharging.

When discharging, the individual cells should be monitored rather than an overall voltage. 12v divided by 4 cells is 3vdc per a cell. If you have a "deader" cell you could easily damage it further by taking it below 3vdc. 3.1 + 3.1 + 3.1 + 2.7 = 12

I think Solex has the best method, at least from what I've read. If you don't have Solex, then you have other options...search is your friend.

Reactions: bassmission
thank u Rich, no the battery seemed to be working fine i just read that you should do that to the batts everynow and then to hopefully make them last longer, i wish i had a way of checking each individual cell, i get what u mean about the load, make perfect sense, i let the battery rest for a little over 5 hrs now i hooked it up to the charger, i’ll leave it for 48 hrs, hopefully its just something to make them last longer,

thank u for ur response, this forum has been really helpful

Hello!)
In my Solex does not show the voltage of each battery cell. Only total voltage, current and power .. I want to check the health of the batteries. Final voltage on two batteries 15.1V when discharge alarm is activated. On Solo the firmware is Open Solo 3.0 and Solex 1.9.3. What is the reason..?

Hello!)
In my Solex does not show the voltage of each battery cell. Only total voltage, current and power .. I want to check the health of the batteries. Final voltage on two batteries 15.1V when discharge alarm is activated. On Solo the firmware is Open Solo 3.0 and Solex 1.9.3. What is the reason..?
If your Solo is totally stock, you will need Open Solo 4 to get cell voltages.

If your Solo is totally stock, you will need Open Solo 4 to get cell voltages.

thank you! i installed the Open Solo 4. now i see every battery cell. All cells have the same voltage. I will now discharge the battery to 14V with a small load to calibrate the lower voltage point. Hope this helps ..)

thank you! i installed the Open Solo 4. now i see every battery cell. All cells have the same voltage. I will now discharge the battery to 14V with a small load to calibrate the lower voltage point. Hope this helps ..)

They BMS will balance the cell voltage while it is turned off and while charging. So they'll usually be the same if it's been sitting a while. They will diverge once under load. With Open Solo 4, you will get an alert if one or more cell voltages drop below 3.5 volts, or if difference between the highest and lowest exceeds I think 200mv.

Calibration requires discharging the cells down to their minimum, or as close as you can get it. Basically discharge gently until the first cell hits 3.1 volts and you should stop there. That will be around 12 volts total.

Reactions: DocBr
They BMS will balance the cell voltage while it is turned off and while charging. So they'll usually be the same if it's been sitting a while. They will diverge once under load. With Open Solo 4, you will get an alert if one or more cell voltages drop below 3.5 volts, or if difference between the highest and lowest exceeds I think 200mv.

Calibration requires discharging the cells down to their minimum, or as close as you can get it. Basically discharge gently until the first cell hits 3.1 volts and you should stop there. That will be around 12 volts total.
yes, i have already read the manual on this process ..)
Solo Battery Mod for Dummies Part 1.pdf
so I did. But when I fully charged the battery, the final charge voltage was 16.4V (4.1-4.1-4.1-4.1). Perhaps the BMS when charging counts 5200 mAh ..? It may make sense to calibrate the discharge to a higher voltage. For the final charge voltage to be 4.2V per cell.

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MarkHKB40