Back to the real world of flight. Can I get some opinions?

Well tried a 4 mile run after a successful 2.5. I haven't turned the RTL off at this point because I'm trying to test the signal. Took the same path that I did in the first run, just extended the outer edge. Got out about a bit more than a quarter of the route and it initiated an automatic RTL. Couldn't retry because of battery. Kp index at 1, 12 sats, 5-6mph wind. Getting too dark for any more tests tonight. I might get another crack at it in the morning. Learned quite a bit about flight characteristics and the Tower and Solo apps the past few days. All in all, lot's of fun!

Jerry
3.9 miles boosted and 3 miles unboosted so far on SOLO with FPVLR array of RCHP+LHCP half sphere panel.

3-8miles-jpg.403

Earl,

Yeah, after some thought on it last night I think I'll take a few baby steps first. I'm hoping I can try a few incremental flights this morning. Adding a half or quarter mile a crack. I'd really like to determine the stock limits of the system before implementing any mods. The camera mod aside. Where is the best place to purchase that lens? My go to supplier, Amazon, doesn't appear to carry it.

Thanks,

Jerry

Ray,

I'm hearing you. Unfortunately, from all the drone news this morning, I may need to reassess how much more of an investment I may want to make in this hobby.

Jerry

Ray,

I'm hearing you. Unfortunately, from all the drone news this morning, I may need to reassess how much more of an investment I may want to make in this hobby.

Jerry
Agree....the USA just isn't what it used to be. We are turning into a monarchy.

Agree....the USA just isn't what it used to be. We are turning into a monarchy.

Actually, we are becoming an 'ineptocracy':

_Ineptocracy_****(in-ep-toc’-ra-cy) - a system of government where the least
capable to lead are elected by the least capable of producing, and where the
members of society least likely to sustain themselves or succeed, are rewarded
with goods and services paid for by the confiscated wealth of a diminishing number of producers*

Reactions: Raybro and FPVLR
Ray,

Well, I just attempted a 3 mile Tower run. Bird went nuts about half way through (Sats 12, wind 8-9, Kp 2, Hdop 1.8-1.2). Had my finger over the manual fly and the pause button. Just had to see if she could pull out of it. Hit fly when she got into clear view and she went right back to normal. At first I thought it was just the gimbal going crazy, it wasn't just the gimbal as I could see the bird. I'm doing a quick cut and edit so I can post it and get some thoughts.

Jerry

Here's the video:

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Last edited:
Earl,

Yeah, after some thought on it last night I think I'll take a few baby steps first. I'm hoping I can try a few incremental flights this morning. Adding a half or quarter mile a crack. I'd really like to determine the stock limits of the system before implementing any mods. The camera mod aside. Where is the best place to purchase that lens? My go to supplier, Amazon, doesn't appear to carry it.

Thanks,

Jerry
both the 4.3 and the 5.4 (along with anything else) can be purchased at PEAU.

GoPro Lenses : Peau Productions - Store

Ray,

Well, I just attempted a 3 mile Tower run. Bird went nuts about half way through (Sats 12, wind 8-9, Kp 2, Hdop 1.8-1.2). Had my finger over the manual fly and the pause button. Just had to see if she could pull out of it. Hit fly when she got into clear view and she went right back to normal. At first I thought it was just the gimbal going crazy, it wasn't just the gimbal as I could see the bird. I'm doing a quick cut and edit so I can post it and get some thoughts.

Jerry

Here's the video:

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.
I had a similar issue when the gimbal would flop exactly like that. On that flight, I turned on the GoPro before turning on the Solo. I don't see how that could cause the issue but I've reversed the process and it hasn't happened since. Seems a little too simplistic.

Bald,

Now, I've always done the exact opposite, turned my GoPro on first and never had an issue before. The strange thing was it wasn't just the gimbal, the bird was all over the place. I suppose the gimbal could have been slamming around so much that it was causing the bird to fly very erratically. When I got the bird into closer sight, I could see the bird itself flying in a very unstable fashion. As soon as I hit the pause button, everything was normal.

Jerry

Unfortunately that is so true.
It's not the land of the free any longer.
Quite sad, it's startling to see how much it changed in 20 years.
FPVLR.......J R could use one of your antennas....I've been telling him..:D

Actually, we are becoming an 'ineptocracy':

_Ineptocracy_****(in-ep-toc’-ra-cy) - a system of government where the least
capable to lead are elected by the least capable of producing, and where the
members of society least likely to sustain themselves or succeed, are rewarded
with goods and services paid for by the confiscated wealth of a diminishing number of producers*
That is a very very true statement!
If you have money, you got lucky. If you don't, you didn't have the same opportunities as the lucky ones.....yep, yep, the entitlement society.
Never mention if you work hard you might get somewhere in life. We'll take it from this guy that has too much money and give it to you less fortunate folks.....

Last edited:
You won't believe the sense of entitlement.
I have a 22 y.o. employee. He looks at me defiantly and says " so you could buy any car you want, even a Ferrari or a Lambo" , if I were you, I'd be giving the money away to the less fortunate young guys instead of keeping it in the bank.

The part where I work 80 hours a week and was able to take 2 weeks off only after 3 years of working through weekends, new years eves, 4th of July etc... that he didn't mention, nor the fact that I choose to drive a 12 y.o. car to save money so my 2 sons won't have to go through what I had to go through.. that's not mentioned either...

They only see what they want to see, unfortunately. The ONLY and TRUE proven way to ANY kind of success is hard work and dedication.
I may not be rich but I have enough to do the things I like to do and if there is anyone to blame for not being as fortunate as others, it is me, no one else. We control our own destiny.

you could try sticking some aluminum tape or copper tape all around the GOPRO to shield it. Also wifi should be turned off on gopro

FPVLR,

I purchased one of your stage 2 kits for my P2V+v3 a long time ago. I even bought an extra RC to install it on and just plain never got around to it! Might be interested in the Solo kit after I make sure everything is solid stock.

Thanks for the tips about the GoPro (wireless is always off during flight) but I'm not sure it was just the gimbal. It looked to me from visually watching the bird that the bird was going wacko as well. Replaying the tlog this morning, it sure looks like the bird is acting up. I'm too new to this Solo stuff to make any credible observations about the log files. I just sent the log files off to 3dr. Guess I'll wait and see what they say.

Jerry

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Minh44