Autel Robotics X-Star? Did I make a mistake here...

If you think I am a robot, why even reply to thread in the first place? Clearly you have nothing positive to contribute, so I have a photo that A) proves my point, and B) shows what I think of your opinion. Thanks for stopping by. /ignored

Nobody here will ever help you with your sh!t attitude and that photo displaying your IQ.

Gla
Nobody here will ever help you with your sh!t attitude and that photo displaying your IQ.

How nice of you to insult me as well, speaks a lot about the members of this forum (since you apparently speak for all of them) I was completely neutral in my first few posts and was met with nothing but hostility from several members. I looked at their posts in other threads, they are assholes across the board. I guess you stand with them.

Some have answered my questions and helped me, without insulting me, without an attitude, and they have been met with the same. Funny how that works!

Gla

How nice of you to insult me as well, speaks a lot about the members of this forum (since you apparently speak for all of them) I was completely neutral in my first few posts and was met with nothing but hostility from several members. I looked at their posts in other threads, they are assholes across the board. I guess you stand with them.

Some have answered my questions and helped me, without insulting me, without an attitude, and they have been met with the same. Funny how that works!

Kid... You come across as an entitled, millennial prick. Have some situational awareness, pull your head out you backside and understand that this website has been inundated by DJI, Yuneec et-al Trolls, Bots and more causing a lot of problems for the board... If you would have explained yourself a little better instead of flipping off the entire board then we wouldn't have had this negative interaction you aloof dumbass. These gentlemen are not "assholes across the board", you're the jackass blowing into to this forum acting the fool instead of assuring it's senior members that you are NOT some punk ass kid from Shanghai trolling up the joint in broken english.

When you need help, you don't insult an entire board by flipping them off... And your last sentence is laughable, not one person helped you after you shit the bed. Not one, you ignorant jackass... Yeah, funny how that works.

Ignoring your rude comments and obvious lack of understanding of drones in general (you rely so much on GPS that you didn't even read the manual that states the Solo has manual mode just like any other drone)...

Has anyone bought one of these before? Despite his blatant rudeness and arrogance, he actually has a point about the X-Star being all around better than the Phantoms based on reviews. I've noticed it before on Amazon but didn't think much of it.

They have a 7 day a week customer support and seem to have copied a lot from the Solo and Phantom and claim to have improved on it. How much of that is true?

yep worded different could have been a great contribution.
I am moving away from out of the box solutions.
Solos got me into this, but honestly to get everything and only what you want, not to mention knowing what you have, you have to build one.
With Pixhawk 2 Coming for general release DIY is looking sexy again.

Reactions: EyeWingsuit
Glad you find it humorous... Your sarcasm is duly noted.

Look, I deal with these privileged millennials regularly through Our Camera Intership Program. A vast majority never make it past the interview and then most of those kids get tossed to the side over their pretentious on set behavior. It's hilarious and very sad... The very few that are good get a great career and are very much appreciated, those that screw up rarely get the chance to step back on the lot. It's all about your approach...

I appreciate what you and others bring to the table with your hard earned knowledge... I work as a Local 600 DP and began My career in film yet I've been at that bleeding edge of high resolution/high speed digital cinema cameras and the various systems that move them through a desired space like technocranes, highspeed robotics like "The Bolt", old school Mechanical Concepts MoCo and many more shooting Food, Beverage, Product and Cosmetic Commercials. The more I learn, the more I realize that I have so more to learn in this life. So understand where my respect comes from to the individuals that share their knowledge on this website.

I joined this website close to when it first started... So I get it. I saw all the bs that the regular members who are still posting here went through...

But hey, I get it... Don't wrestle with pigs... But treat people how you want to be treated.

So I recently just picked up the Solo w/ gimbal and also got a GoPro Hero 4 Black. I wanted a drone with very stable, hi-definition video, reliable connection, waypoint following, support and room for future improvement. Basically a solo steadicam I intend to use for closeup moving shots rather than high altitude aerial photography. Total cost was about $1500 with Backpack, sd card and Geeksquad insurance. So far I've been happy with the drone's performance and video quality of the gopro, although setting waypoints by flying through them on Cable Cam costs a significant amount of precious battery life. I've also noticed the drone is particular about taking off anything other than a flat, clear surface, away from anything metal (EVEN A ZIPPER FROM A BAG). Although these issues are minor, they diminish my confidence in the drone's ability to stay airborn safely. No problems encountered yet with careful flying.

However, I just found THIS X-Star drone, a P4 clone with what seems like better features, more support, reliability and even better reviews than both the P4 AND the Solo combined, for only $700! (wtf)

Amazon.com : Autel Robotics X-Star Drone with 4K Camera & Wi-Fi HD Live View (Orange) : Camera & Photo

One major drawback I found with the solo is interference with the signal when flying close to other objects. Like if I wanted to fly between two buildings. No problem apparently for this one, as it has control without gps if necessary. Optical tracing, geofence, everything it seems the Solo is going to be abandoning in the future...

Did I make a mistake here? I'm seriously considering putting the solo up for sale immediately and buying this instead.

I have both. The Autel blows DJI out of the water. Its automation doesn't remotely touch 3DR. It is much more twitchy to fly. The android app is quite crippled compared to the OIS app. They've had some significant technical problems that I'm hoping are worked out in this latest update.
Like the Solo, it's built tough as nails. They should have a new gimbal/camera offering in the fall. GREAT support over the phone, but we also know how that went for 3DR after a while.
It's very twitchy in all but student mode. In advanced mode, it's much like the Solo; very very fast. On one particular hot day, I got less than one battery out of the Autel before it shut down due to heat. Solo was the only one of five drones that kept flying all day in the 116 degree heat.AutelNelson.jpg

Autel has clearly taken the best of 3DR and the best of DJI and married them. The remote is very solo-like, right down to haptic and the battery display on the remote vs only having a display on the tablet.

Attachments

• DSC00375.JPG
    4.1 MB · Views: 20
I would suggest to the OP. He has encountered every issue he could find with the Solo and will never trust it again. So, you will be happier with the other product simply because he has no confidence left in the Solo.

Best of Luck!

I have both. The Autel blows DJI out of the water. Its automation doesn't remotely touch 3DR. It is much more twitchy to fly. The android app is quite crippled compared to the OIS app. They've had some significant technical problems that I'm hoping are worked out in this latest update.
Like the Solo, it's built tough as nails. They should have a new gimbal/camera offering in the fall. GREAT support over the phone, but we also know how that went for 3DR after a while.
It's very twitchy in all but student mode. In advanced mode, it's much like the Solo; very very fast. On one particular hot day, I got less than one battery out of the Autel before it shut down due to heat. Solo was the only one of five drones that kept flying all day in the 116 degree heat.View attachment 3737

Autel has clearly taken the best of 3DR and the best of DJI and married them. The remote is very solo-like, right down to haptic and the battery display on the remote vs only having a display on the tablet.

Thank you for your review. It really helps to confirm the reviews online.

How's the current camera and gimbal? Does it work well for night photography too?

Reactions: dronesquid
Thank you for your review. It really helps to confirm the reviews online.

How's the current camera and gimbal? Does it work well for night photography too?

I don't shoot at night. Messing with my COA isn't something I'm interested in doing. Night flight is not permitted without special coa application.

Current camera blows DJI away. Better compression, better glass. Same image processor.
Gimbal is very DJI-like. Be sure you never remove the gimbal unless the unit is entirely powered down.

Reactions: Tamj and dronesquid
If anyone is interested in adding a drone to their fleet, this is on sale on amazon only for today. Must be a prime member to see this deal.

List Price: $1,199.00
Price: $899.00 Free Shipping for Prime Members
With Deal: $674.00

On another note, Amazon has the $599 deal for the Solo too. Only today.

Last edited:
Wow I feel cheated. I paid 750 for gimbal + drone then 150 for the backpack at Frys

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ihatethatihavetomakeanacc