Autel Robotics X-Star? Did I make a mistake here...

Reaction score
So I recently just picked up the Solo w/ gimbal and also got a GoPro Hero 4 Black. I wanted a drone with very stable, hi-definition video, reliable connection, waypoint following, support and room for future improvement. Basically a solo steadicam I intend to use for closeup moving shots rather than high altitude aerial photography. Total cost was about $1500 with Backpack, sd card and Geeksquad insurance. So far I've been happy with the drone's performance and video quality of the gopro, although setting waypoints by flying through them on Cable Cam costs a significant amount of precious battery life. I've also noticed the drone is particular about taking off anything other than a flat, clear surface, away from anything metal (EVEN A ZIPPER FROM A BAG). Although these issues are minor, they diminish my confidence in the drone's ability to stay airborn safely. No problems encountered yet with careful flying.

However, I just found THIS X-Star drone, a P4 clone with what seems like better features, more support, reliability and even better reviews than both the P4 AND the Solo combined, for only $700! (wtf)

https://www.amazon.com/Autel-Roboti...ra_a_rv_ff_fx_xx_P2000_1000&tag=dradisplay-20

One major drawback I found with the solo is interference with the signal when flying close to other objects. Like if I wanted to fly between two buildings. No problem apparently for this one, as it has control without gps if necessary. Optical tracing, geofence, everything it seems the Solo is going to be abandoning in the future...

Did I make a mistake here? I'm seriously considering putting the solo up for sale immediately and buying this instead.

Reactions: Lon Snyder
So I recently just picked up the Solo w/ gimbal and also got a GoPro Hero 4 Black. I wanted a drone with very stable, hi-definition video, reliable connection, waypoint following, support and room for future improvement. Basically a solo steadicam I intend to use for closeup moving shots rather than high altitude aerial photography. Total cost was about $1500 with Backpack, sd card and Geeksquad insurance. So far I've been happy with the drone's performance and video quality of the gopro, although setting waypoints by flying through them on Cable Cam costs a significant amount of precious battery life. I've also noticed the drone is particular about taking off anything other than a flat, clear surface, away from anything metal (EVEN A ZIPPER FROM A BAG). Although these issues are minor, they diminish my confidence in the drone's ability to stay airborn safely. No problems encountered yet with careful flying.

However, I just found THIS X-Star drone, a P4 clone with what seems like better features, more support, reliability and even better reviews than both the P4 AND the Solo combined, for only $700! (wtf)

Amazon.com : Autel Robotics X-Star Drone with 4K Camera & Wi-Fi HD Live View (Orange) : Camera & Photo

One major drawback I found with the solo is interference with the signal when flying close to other objects. Like if I wanted to fly between two buildings. No problem apparently for this one, as it has control without gps if necessary. Optical tracing, geofence, everything it seems the Solo is going to be abandoning in the future...

Did I make a mistake here? I'm seriously considering putting the solo up for sale immediately and buying this instead.

"No problem apparently for this one, as it has control without gps if necessary". By that comment I would be surprised if you really had a SOLO. Possibly just driving traffic for Autel? And joined just today too.

Reactions: gnomad
I'm just going by what the features say on the Amazon page. As you know there are a bunch of posts about how 3dr is losing support for Android and doesn't seem to be focusing on improving the solo, so optical tracking seems like a fantasy atm. I don't have a lot of money and want to know if I made the right choice. I plan on getting a handheld gimbal for the gopro soon to assist in close quarters video and indoor shooting. Another 350 dollars to spend.

Basically a solo steadicam I intend to use for closeup moving shots rather than high altitude aerial photography.

So far I've been happy with the drone's performance and video quality of the gopro, although setting waypoints by flying through them on Cable Cam costs a significant amount of precious battery life.

These two statements back up what Jublar is saying. How are you getting close up shots, without pre flying?

As far as Amazon "reviews" and "comments" Take anything " Good Amazon Customer" Says about Solo with a large grain of salt. He has no creditability in the multirotor world!

Last edited:
I am preflying? It uses a significant amount of battery to fly the solo through what I would like to be able to plan in software beforehand. I have tower downloaded but Have not used it yet, and feel like it might not give me the precision I need for obstacles, actors, trees etc so I am sticking with cable cam atm.

Last edited:
Let's say I want to fly the solo in between two trees, rather closeley. If the solo loses gps signal I can no longer pilot it, much less have it follow a cable cam route. The drone listed appears to have a method of flying without gps signal, which would allow me to safely pilot between structures.

A friend of mine and I filmed this fight scene with a P3 and a Black Magic. If I flew the solo through those metal ramps I feel like it would fail immediately.

Last edited:
OK, step back, calm down.

1) Solo will fly without GPS, it is called FLY:Manual, have either the A or B button programmed for this flight mode.

2) If Solo loses GPS mid flight it drops into FLY:Manual, and YOU must fly the craft. Yes, there is no smart shots without GPS. That goes for ALL manufacturers, 3DR, DJI, Autel, Yuneec, etc.... No GPS = No programmed flight

3) Flying around metal structures is an issue for all craft as well, some handle it better than others.

4) I doubt that quick flight under the metal ramp was an auto shot, and by the way the video wobbles back and forth before it flew under the ramp, likely a manually flown shot.....

Update: Not 5 minutes ago I'm using cable cam with 3 waypoints. Open area, 4 feet off the ground 11-13 satellites, clear sky. Within a few minutes, the app on my phone crashes, and I have to reboot the app and re plan the waypoints. This happened 3 times. I got ONE good take out of all this before the battery died. This performance is unacceptable I simply cannot fathom using a smart shot in any situation that requires any amount of reliability.

Update: Not 5 minutes ago I'm using cable cam with 3 waypoints. Open area, 4 feet off the ground 11-13 satellites, clear sky. Within a few minutes, the app on my phone crashes, and I have to reboot the app and re plan the waypoints. This happened 3 times. I got ONE good take out of all this before the battery died. This performance is unacceptable I simply cannot fathom using a smart shot in any situation that requires any amount of reliability.

What phone, what firmware on Solo and what version of 3DR Services and what version of the Solo App?

I think you could use some time learning what the platform does and how it does it.
I dont care how much money you spend, or dont spend.

NONE and i mean NONE of these UAVs are going to be fool proof.
They all have a learning curve and your satisfaction and results will be directly impacted by how much / little you know about the technology

Here is something to consider.
You can get a brand new solo with gimbal for 600 bucks.
What kind of loss are you going to take selling your used one on the open market.
Doubful enough to cover your new drone, wich will promptly dissapoint you unless you learn how to use it

I have a LG G4

app 2.3.0
Solo 2.4
Autopilot 2.0.20
Gimbal 1.3.6

Controller 2.4.0
Firmware 1.2.11

Services 1.5.3

I think you could use some time learning what the platform does and how it does it.
I dont care how much money you spend, or dont spend.

NONE and i mean NONE of these UAVs are going to be fool proof.
They all have a learning curve and your satisfaction and results will be directly impacted by how much / little you know about the technology

Here is something to consider.
You can get a brand new solo with gimbal for 600 bucks.
What kind of loss are you going to take selling your used one on the open market.
Doubful enough to cover your new drone, wich will promptly dissapoint you unless you learn how to use it
"Foolproof" and "functions as supposed to without constant crashes of software" are two completely different things. I am not new to flying drones.

I am not putchasing a new drone, just wondering if the price I paid for supposedly the best ones on the market was really worth it, since there are others on the market that I could have paid less for, and avoided some of the issues I'm dealing with.

@dronesquid ; Interesting choice of tags you used above. I stand by my original assessment.
I just noticed the same, and it is looking questionable.

@dronesquid Do you have another Android or iOS device to try? Or try uninstalling 3DR services and the Solo app, then reinstall. That has helped some. There has indeed been some strangeness with the 2.4 firmware update.

@dronesquid ; Interesting choice of tags you used above. I stand by my original assessment.

I guess after a long time of being frustrated with this thing your attitude diminishes as well.

The tags are because I found something, that, on paper looks much better and cheaper than the Solo, and I posted a thread asking if I made the right decision in my choice. You can remain ignorant if you want. Heres a photo for you.

Update: after changing the battery I managed to get cavkecam working, as long as I did not have 3dr services running. After two successful flights I landed and shut down. A few minutes later, I had new angles to try and the controller does not want to connect to solo. I tried, rebooting, every combination of starting everything up, you name it. No connection.

Attachments

• 1467140003366899657358.jpg
    1467140003366899657358.jpg
    4.1 MB · Views: 39
yeah I think we have someone playing games
call me ignorant if you feel better

Thank you to those who actually replied to me. Im simply asking if the solo is as good as it gets, because if not I will replace it.

For the two jokers another photo for them

Attachments

• 1467140597727-802983603.jpg
    1467140597727-802983603.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 50
Thank you to those who actually replied to me. Im simply asking if the solo is as good as it gets, because if not I will replace it.

If you are legitimately having issues, and it sounds like you are, you should send in a trouble ticket to 3DR. but first I would uninstall 3DR services and the Solo app, then reinstall and se if that works......

How very mature
If you think I am a robot, why even reply to thread in the first place? Clearly you have nothing positive to contribute, so I have a photo that A) proves my point, and B) shows what I think of your opinion. Thanks for stopping by. /ignored

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pvt solo