Reaction score
I tried to get authorization from EYW for a flight this SAT but I got

"Key West International tower does not entertain drones with in the class delta airspace. There are too many low flying manned aircraft."

...Rejected

Feels bad man. Anyone have any ATC encounters?

"Key West International tower does not entertain drones with in the class delta airspace. There are too many low flying manned aircraft."

...Rejected

Oh yea. Got rejected in Florence, SC by our small air port. I am 4.1 miles out not in flight path and I just want to practice manual flying across the street. There is a 300x300ft open field there. Don't even want to go above 40ft. ATC didn't ask any questions. Just said fly 5 miles away. It hurt for a while and I almost posted here. Good luck finding somewhere to fly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Got rejected outside the 5 mile radius here in Sarasota. ATC said it's still "Charlie Airspace" I was unaware at the time I was outside the 5 miles and movd to a new home. Out of habit I called in. Realized midway through I was okay. But continued the phone call, guy picks up and that's a big nope. He said it's a heavy traffic area with the hospital close by and some scenic helicopter tour. Denied me indefinitely. One reason I'm selling my Solo with a Garmin 4K action cam. Also HOA wrote me a letter! Damn HOAs.

Reactions: Captain Zepher
I called the local Hospital that has an FAA Heliport here in Hershey, PA. They were very nice about it after I told them how I fly safely and fairly low (150ft)

That being said, I am >5 miles from the other Airport shown on FAA's App. The App in inaccurate.

I'd call the FSDO and complain about NEVER getting clearance. Be reasonable. For example say "I have my vertical GEO Fence at 150 ft, If I here a Helicopter I will descend, etc."

Anything other than a Helicopter has to stay above 1,000 ft except in the landing pattern so we really should NOT be a problem to them, in theory.

I am also a LSA Pilot and know some of these guys which may help. IDK?

There's another meeting on Drones going down at the end of the month FYI

Second Drone Advisory Committee Meeting on January 31

Attachments

• B4UFly.png
    B4UFly.png
    323.4 KB · Views: 12
You could try to appeal to your local FSDO.

Flight Standards District Offices (FSDO)
I contemplated it but decided that I wouldn't. Maybe I got "THAT GUY" ATC today. Anyway I'm working on my 107 and figured I would have another leg to stand with the FSDO.

I know currently its their rights to deny any and all drone activity within class D but to do so just as a blanket precaution not even consider even reasonable safe requests is just lazy.

Reactions: FlyXlsa
I contemplated it but decided that I wouldn't. Maybe I got "THAT GUY" ATC today. Anyway I'm working on my 107 and figured I would have another leg to stand with the FSDO.

I know currently its their rights to deny any and all drone activity within class D but to do so just as a blanket precaution not even consider even reasonable safe requests is just lazy.

Isn't EYW a Military Base too? I think Coast Guard and maybe Navy fly out of there?

I just looked at the Miami Sectional... Yep that Naval Air Station is there too. Not much space between you and Marathon either... Good luck on the Part 107!

upload_2017-1-17_17-58-33.png

Last edited:
Reactions: Captain Zepher
Isn't EYW a Military Base too? I think Coast Guard and maybe Navy fly out of there?

EYW is not a military airport your thinking of NAS key West which sees about 3-4 heilos a year and would have to coordinate with EYW anyway.
Boca chica airbase is east and I have no doubt that flying anywhere in their airspace would be unsafe those jets fly looooooooow. Like topgun low.

A final thought about that Drone Advisory Meeting - It says the following:

"Many state and local governments have begun to enact a variety of laws about operating UAS in low-altitude navigable airspace. The second task group will consider technological and regulatory mechanisms that would allow drone operators to gain access to the airspace beyond what the agency currently permits under the Small UAS Rule (commonly known as Part 107). The DAC will also discuss the formation of a third task group, which will consider ways to fund the expanded provision of services needed to support UAS integration."

One can only hope!

Reactions: csteph1388
You do understand that as long as you are operating under Special Rule for Model Aircraft (Public Law 112-95, Section 336) which is for non commercial hobby flyers that you can fly even with their rejection? Per the FAA;

However, the airport operator cannot prohibit or prevent the model aircraft operator from operating within five miles of the airport. Unsafe flying in spite of the objection of an airport operator may be evidence that the operator was endangering the safety of the National Airspace System.

Now endangering the National Airspace System will likely only be an issue if you are a currently certificated pilot, you hold an FAA pilots license. The FAA can take action on your certificate. If you don't hold a pilots license there is not much they can do other than possibly issue a fine. Take a look at the FAA's own website here;

Unmanned Aircraft Systems (UAS) Frequently Asked Questions/Help

If you are flying at a low altitude on the fringes of the 5 mile radius I can't see there being a huge issue. If the tower cannot see you and you are under no approach corridors there is a very small chance this would ever be a problem. I can't say what you should or should not do. But keep in mind at least for now only you are only required to provide notice not seek approval when flying within 5 miles of an airport. I will tell you just for background that I am a current ATP rated commercial pilot for the last 32 years and a Part 107 certified Drone Pilot. I am not a lawyer! But I've been dealing with the FAA for a LONG time. It really is in your best interest to know your rights! What you chose to do is up to you.

The "downside" of holding an "Airman's Certificate."

According to that same FAA... I am not allowed to go below 1,000ft except "in the pattern" and after turning base and onto final approach in a fixed wing aircraft.

So they issue regulations not to fly > 400 ft which allows for a 600 ft "buffer" zone excluding the aforementioned.

Waste of >78 Square Miles of perfectly good UAS flying space.

(Yes, I know their logic is Emergencies and Safety Margins, etc.)

Frustrating to hear these stories! Unmanned aircraft have just as much a right to the airspace as a manned system. I'm happy to stay below 400' if they stay above 500 except on takeoff of landing!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I live 1.1 miles from Penn State Hershey Medical Center - 64PN. They were great about local flying. I told them I had my Vertical Geofence set at 150ft and would be alert to their presence and come down if I heard them coming. You can hear their two Turbojets pretty far out. They were fine with "sharing the air" so I think the key is good communication. I also preceded my call by sending them my contact info and UAS certificate. We can all share the air - it only takes one jerk to ruin it for everyone though!

...Rejected

Interested in this. According to the FAA website (and it appears the law, but I am not a lawyer) you do not Need ATC permission for a hobby flight. You need only notify the tower AND operator. Class B is noted as different on the website (but I couldn't find it in the code). As for class D or C with a part 107 license, that is a different matter, then you are certainly mandated to notify AND have permission in any controlled airspace.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ihatethatihavetomakeanacc