the dreaded FAA Airspace Authorization application

Reaction score
I have searched the forum and not found a thread on this. Sorry if it's already been covered.

Here's the situation, as part of my work I received my Remote Pilot Airman Certificate under part 107.

We want to be able to conduct flights at our business location which happens to fall within Class D airspace (although we are 3+ miles from the tower). The new rules state that all authorizations must go through FAA by using this form; you can't just call the tower like in the old days. The bad news is that these instructions say that up to 90 days advance are required, which is highly impractical in the business world.

So here are a couple of specific questions for you guys:

1. has anyone successfully received an airspace authorization for Class D or E airspace?
2. How long did it take to hear back?
3, Dis FAA respond by email or phone or mail?
4. Can you request a blanket authorization that covers an extended period of time?

When we realized this was the new procedure, we did attempt to submit the form, but our time window was only a few days. We never heard back from FAA and we never even got an email notification that they had received our application.

We're flying 3 different 3DR Solos for mapping work and are very happy so far, but this new wrinkle for our particular location where we do testing and demos is problematic.

Any advice greatly appreciated. I've learn a lot reading all your posts.

Here's some info copied/pasted from an exchange I read earlier that may be helpful:

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

A question comes up, though, when the boundaries of Part 107 run up against what the customer wants. What if your paying client wants you to fly an operation that doesn’t fit with what Part 107 allows? What if you need to fly at night? What if you need to be in airspace where the restrictions are greater? What do you do then?

The answer is found in WAIVERS. The FAA’s online waiver application
is relatively straightforward. But what should you request? How should you word it? How can you “stack” waiver requests to give your business maximum flexibility?

We get into that and more with drone attorney
Jonathan Rupprecht. Jonathan has been a guest on the podcast before, and he constantly shares great information with the drone community.

Join us as we talk Part 107 waivers, what to do when you crash your drone, ongoing litigation against the FAA, and where this all goes from here."

Listen to the podcast in your browser here.

Original article here:

https://dronelawtoday.com/2016/10/24/part-107-waivers-more-with-jonathan-rupprecht/
--

I have searched the forum and not found a thread on this. Sorry if it's already been covered.

Here's the situation, as part of my work I received my Remote Pilot Airman Certificate under part 107.

We want to be able to conduct flights at our business location which happens to fall within Class D airspace (although we are 3+ miles from the tower). The new rules state that all authorizations must go through FAA by using this form; you can't just call the tower like in the old days. The bad news is that these instructions say that up to 90 days advance are required, which is highly impractical in the business world.

So here are a couple of specific questions for you guys:

1. has anyone successfully received an airspace authorization for Class D or E airspace?
2. How long did it take to hear back?
3, Dis FAA respond by email or phone or mail?
4. Can you request a blanket authorization that covers an extended period of time?

When we realized this was the new procedure, we did attempt to submit the form, but our time window was only a few days. We never heard back from FAA and we never even got an email notification that they had received our application.

We're flying 3 different 3DR Solos for mapping work and are very happy so far, but this new wrinkle for our particular location where we do testing and demos is problematic.

Any advice greatly appreciated. I've learn a lot reading all your posts.

I am in a similar situation, I submitted the application for the airspace waiver for outskirts of class D. I had heard nothing, but few days ago I got an email from a bot, saying the waiver was "submitted". I take that to mean the process is moving. I would agree the process is too slow to be practical for many business applications. I had gone into the granted waivers web site and searched for my name, with the thought they could process and approve the waiver, but not get around to sending the email. It has been a month and no confirmation either way.

I've operated my 3DR Solo several times from my home airport ( KSBY) hangar and it has been quite easy. I simply call the tower on the phone, give them the location on the airport, area of operation, and maximum altitude, and duration and they "clear me" for operations. I leave them my phone number, and advise them that I am monitoring ground control frequency with a handheld. I've done it 7-10 times so far, over several days. I used the 3dr to inspect the roof of my hangar. All the towers have received instructions on drone ops and they are digesting them slowly.

That was my experience on the first few outings. Then in early October the tower quoted that for commercial operations, the waiver was required. For "hobbyists", they would approve clearance by providing the information as you describe.

try using the UAV tab on the flight services website. (1800wxbrief)..and submit a scheduled time for a uav flight in your class D airspace area. Keep the radius small and realistic. We get these dRONE notams often at KEFD. Never seems to be a problem even in the Class D airspace.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ihatethatihavetomakeanacc