Antenna Business

Reaction score
I know there are a couple of us that participate here and on FB but thought I would bring it up here for any that don't.

This is a comment I just made in the Owner's Group that may or may not get any attention in that realm. I'm hoping there are some 'Radio Heads' here that can confirm or deny my assumptions. Thanks!

In a recent antenna discussion I participated in it was brought to my attention that the comm link is established on the 802.11n protocol which in effect splits the data stream and reasembles it as a way to increase throughput. This is why there are two antennas. So based in this assumption I question the validity of mixing antennas which is a practice that I have employed several times (Alpha/Omni) but always at close range more aimed at the overhead donut hole exposure. At the end of the day I realize that because I fly well within a 2000' range in a rural area with little or no RF contention I don't use the Alphas anymore. What I did just employ but yet to fly is replacing the stock 2dBi ducks on the controller with a set of 6dBi Omnis. They came with extension cables so I can move the controller ducks to the Solo but except for the need to do this to use retracts I have yet to see anyone provide doing so enhances the link.

Since posting this on FB there has been some discussion with regards to Diversity and MIMO which might provide answers to my questions.

The Alphas are easy to adjust while flying. Over 2000 feet, flip them down and aim the controller in the general direction of Solo watching the signal bars. It can be hard to see sometimes.

When Solo is overhead, flip the Alphas in the up position. But if you're only flying at 400 feet, It's really not necessary...

I'm sold on the Alphas, but do use the stock antennas for short flights...

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
frank2000