Another Drone shooting

Unbelieveable,

WKRN chose not to identify the man who shot at the drone in the most recent incident in Murfreesboro since he was not charged with a crime. The responding deputy could not identify a law that had been broken.

Isn't discharging a firearm in a residential neighborhood an offense of some kind??

Reactions: Benzo
If you see people on your device where your drone is, it is stupid to get closer to them and hover. That is just asking for a confrontation. Granted, the person who fired a weapon in a neighborhood should be prosecuted, as he was more stupid than the operator of the drone. We all have to use common sense when flying in this day and age, with all the scrutiny on our hobby.

Like the recent case of a man being fined $48,000 for jamming cellular signals from his vehicle, this nonsense isn't going to stop until the FAA prosecutes one of these idiots and fines them a hefty sum. Morons would think twice if they thought it could end up costing them 10's of thousands of dollars.

Reactions: EyeWingsuit
If you see people on your device where your drone is, it is stupid to get closer to them and hover. That is just asking for a confrontation. Granted, the person who fired a weapon in a neighborhood should be prosecuted, as he was more stupid than the operator of the drone. We all have to use common sense when flying in this day and age, with all the scrutiny on our hobby.

Agreed. Still, I wish 'common sense' were more common. o_O

Unbelieveable,

Isn't discharging a firearm in a residential neighborhood an offense of some kind??
Discharging a firearm may or may not be a violation of community or city ordinance, depending on where one lives. In my town, as long as it's between sunrise and sunset, it's entirely legal to discharge a weapon/firearm w/in city limits. In a bigger city, not so much.

Either way, shotgun pellets or bullets are much more dangerous to people in the community than a drone/UAV overflying an area. There is a difference between overflying houses and being shot at, and hovering over a home that isn't your own and being shot at.
It's a two-way street of respect. Even Rand Paul went on the news saying he'd shoot a drone if it flew over his house. :eek::mad:

In MA its illegal to discharge a firearm within 200' (maybe 100') of a road, or wishing 500' of a house, unless you have the permission of the owner(s) of any houses within that 500' area. Its amazing how hard it is to get that distance in most areas around here, so if that had been in MA the shooter could face legal action for a felony, and would lose the gun license.

Reactions: SurfnSkate81
If a drone is scanning my home at low altitude say 5 meters and seems to do survelance or peeping Tom and it passed over my gate, I will shoot it with an air rifle. The 3000psi precharged air rifle today can fit easy 5 bullets in its magazine and even though it is 4.5mm caliber I have taken down small 30kg game, brain shot 12 meters away. Will shoot approx 900 pages into yellow pages, insanely accurate at 30 meters. :)

I think 5 meters above my ground is my air space, since my building rise to 3 storey .... he he he.

Reactions: SurfnSkate81
"The responding deputy could not identify a law that had been broken."

What about that little ol thing called 20 years max in prison for shooting down an FAA regulated aircraft?

Besides, if an airline is not in it's own airspace, let's say they dip down for some reason out of their airspace, could you shoot it down and say they were violating your privacy? No. You'd go to jail for a long long time.

Attachments

• 2. Aircraft Sabotage (18 U.S.C.pdf
    247.3 KB · Views: 3
Reactions: rassalas

What about that little ol thing called 20 years max in prison for shooting down an FAA regulated aircraft?

Bear in mind that although it would be prudent to know, most LEO are unaware of many, if not most, Federal law.

Reactions: dmyhill

Besides, if an airline is not in it's own airspace, let's say they dip down for some reason out of their airspace, could you shoot it down and say they were violating your privacy? No. You'd go to jail for a long long time.
Local law enforcement can not enforce Federal law or charge someone criminally in violation of Federal crimes. That has to be done by Federal agents and/or the US Attorney's office. In the last 7 years I have assisted in the federal prosecution of over 80 criminals from my county, but only with a federal agent to bring the case to the US Attorney who then decides if they will be charged. However, while many Federal crimes are mirrored in state statutes, generally those that are agency specific like the FAA and FCC are not.

Discharging a firearm may or may not be a violation of community or city ordinance, depending on where one lives. In my town, as long as it's between sunrise and sunset, it's entirely legal to discharge a weapon/firearm w/in city limits. In a bigger city, not so much.

Either way, shotgun pellets or bullets are much more dangerous to people in the community than a drone/UAV overflying an area. There is a difference between overflying houses and being shot at, and hovering over a home that isn't your own and being shot at.
It's a two-way street of respect. Even Rand Paul went on the news saying he'd shoot a drone if it flew over his house. :eek::mad:
It's a federal crime to fire a weapon at any flying vehicle, the FAA is going to nail one of these suckas to a gad dommed cross.

If a drone is scanning my home at low altitude say 5 meters and seems to do survelance or peeping Tom and it passed over my gate, I will shoot it with an air rifle. The 3000psi precharged air rifle today can fit easy 5 bullets in its magazine and even though it is 4.5mm caliber I have taken down small 30kg game, brain shot 12 meters away. Will shoot approx 900 pages into yellow pages, insanely accurate at 30 meters. :)

I think 5 meters above my ground is my air space, since my building rise to 3 storey .... he he he.

Do you want us to send you the file for your jailbreak in a cake or in the lasgna?

Do you want us to send you the file for your jailbreak in a cake or in the lasgna?

I am not in America my man. The world is not USA, the world is called its PLANET EARTH. :)
I know my rights here where I am at.........
This forum is international, so have a more international thingking.

I have never seen a PCP air gun that holds only 5 rounds. Most of them are between 10 and 18.

4.5mm is referred to as .177 in the US. PCP come in many calibers. Most common are .22, .25 and .30. They also have larger calibers such as .357 and .50.

The later will kill a deer from 200 yards away.

Just saying.

In the previous case if im not mistaken the shooter was charged for vandalism and or destruction of private property.

It was suggested yesterday (by an Inspector) that the FAA is watching the Boggs v Merideth case with interest. The FAA can still charge Merideth; his day is far from over. The Jersey case was handled through local legal channels, so it's unlikely the FAA cares. It's disappointing that the FAA hasn't stepped in on most of these cases yet; it's the camel's nose under the tent. Soon enough, they'll have let too many slide to explain why they've chosen to prosecute a specific case.

Reactions: User Name

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
danny5150