After Christmas Sale Best Buy

Tried buying gimbal, battery and props online with BB but could not figure out how to get the 25% discount. It stated if you buy 3 or more select items you get 25% off. It did not reflect in my final checkout. Ideas??
25% off regular price, not sale.

so we are buying gimbals at 10% of retail and batteries at about 1/4 of retail and we still want 25% off
Does anyone have any questions as to why 3DR ran away from the consumer market?

So far I have received a gimble via FedEx, next day got a battery via UPS, not sure where the rest is supposed to coming from. Ordered a second "kit" and got a notice that it is shipping from Anchorage Alaska !!!!! Fingers crossed!
wow wished it would ship from anchorage for me then it would only take like a day, lol

I'm so glad, I'm in europe and the battery's price are around $140 :(

It's kinda hard to understand. I ordered 2 Solo's from Best Buy for the $299 deal. One came, Solo and controller only, then a gimble and a second battery came in separate boxes. Today, the second order came, and it's the whole deal, "IN" a backpack! Gimble already installed, etc. etc. Now they are back up to $799. Just makes you wonder what the heck is going on.

It's kinda hard to understand. I ordered 2 Solo's from Best Buy for the $299 deal. One came, Solo and controller only, then a gimble and a second battery came in separate boxes. Today, the second order came, and it's the whole deal, "IN" a backpack! Gimble already installed, etc. etc. Now they are back up to $799. Just makes you wonder what the heck is going on.
Supply and demand ... Marketing 101.

Inventory may be at regional stores rather than in a big warehouse somewhere. They probably have software that makes a "smart" decision on what to ship from where. Also the one in the backpack could have been open box or something.

I wish I had purchased another unit in retrospect but I doubt that I'm going to stay with 3DR for the long haul. I did buy a bunch of blades for $3.99 though. Even though it's "only" $300, that's $300 I can put towards a drone who's technology isn't dead, who's customer service isn't all but absent, who's parts are readily available, who's camera isn't obsolete/non supported and that doesn't have the God awful reputation that this drone has. Sorry, I just had a unexplained failure/crash. The screen said to send my info to 3DR and I've received zero response from them.

I wish I had purchased another unit in retrospect but I doubt that I'm going to stay with 3DR for the long haul. I did buy a bunch of blades for $3.99 though. Even though it's "only" $300, that's $300 I can put towards a drone who's technology isn't dead, who's customer service isn't all but absent, who's parts are readily available, who's camera isn't obsolete/non supported and that doesn't have the God awful reputation that this drone has. Sorry, I just had a unexplained failure/crash. The screen said to send my info to 3DR and I've received zero response from them.

I presume I am mostly on my own and relying on the kindness and insightful help of others on forums such as this. I smashed my solo into the top of a fairly tall tree awhile back. The explanation was that I did some poor piloting and was just getting used to using Tower. I was able to track the Solo's location by foot following the GPS trail left on Tower into some fairly thick woods. Amazing. It spilled to the ground and I am amazed that only fatality was the gimbal.

Every 12 months or so there is a huge leap in what is available and if I can get by with this purchase for that long with my gopro intact I will be thrilled. I have this delusion that when things finally on my Solo are worn out and not economical to repair, the new pixhawk 2 will survive and I can incorporate it into a new quad, plane or flying wing. I regret not buying a 3dr Aero when they closed them out. I did grab 4 of the motors though and I'm considering trying to install them on the Solo.

I think at this point when purchasing a Solo it has to be with the mindset of a hobbyist willing to learn to fix things rather than as a general consumer relying on the help of the manufacturer.

For what I paid, it is insane what I can do with my solo and the mountain of what I still have to learn if I choose to.

There is no long haul with 3DR. There done building Quads. The technology certainly isn't dead. Parts are a bit of a problem. The following is how I see it. I have a DJI F450. Its equipped with a Pixhawk, Telemetry, FPV, camera gimbal, and I run Ardupilot on it with Mission Planner as a GCS. It cost me about $700 to build the F450. Given the fact that the Solo bundles come with extra batteries, its like two Solos = my F450 dollar wise. Is the F450 easier to get parts for? Yes. But the Solo is a great Quad that's ready to fly without having to understand how to tune the open source firmware.

Regards,
David R. Boulanger

Picked up all this for $178.00

Attachments

• 20161231_141007.jpg
    20161231_141007.jpg
    796.7 KB · Views: 21
...I think at this point when purchasing a Solo it has to be with the mindset of a hobbyist willing to learn to fix things rather than as a general consumer relying on the help of the manufacturer...
I've never considered it anything else. My house, vehicle, and vessel are filled with early-adopter electronic and electro-mechanical gadgets - all marketed to save me time/money/headaches in life, but in reality... generally just adding to those.

My dad bought his new '63 Valiant with only an auto transmission and a heater - not even an AM radio - because he didn't like the idea of keeping all those fancy power accessories maintained and running. I, on the other hand, bought loaded Fords (Fix Or Repair Daily)... and did.

I suppose if I had to generate revenue with my Solo(s), I would feel times of disappointment with the Solo system, but then... I think that Solo is highly modable and repairable and that's a good thing for revenue-generation. Would you want to fly the '63' Valiant of drone systems to generate revenue? As a hobbyist, I don't even want to do that!

When it was officially confirmed that 3DR (particularly consumer Solo) was going down the tube, and the prices dropped, I went out and bought a couple more.

There is no long haul with 3DR. There done building Quads. The technology certainly isn't dead. Parts are a bit of a problem. The following is how I see it. I have a DJI F450. Its equipped with a Pixhawk, Telemetry, FPV, camera gimbal, and I run Ardupilot on it with Mission Planner as a GCS. It cost me about $700 to build the F450. Given the fact that the Solo bundles come with extra batteries, its like two Solos = my F450 dollar wise. Is the F450 easier to get parts for? Yes. But the Solo is a great Quad that's ready to fly without having to understand how to tune the open source firmware.

Regards,
David R. Boulanger
Oh I'm all about RTF drones period and I agree that the deal is good. I'm just salty right now because the wound is fresh. The good news is that Best Buy gave me a new drone so that's good. Btw I don't believe I'm special, Best Buy has always been good about honoring warranties.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gabriela