After Christmas Sale Best Buy

Well, I just dunno. All this talk about 3DR and Solo being gone, hummm, look at this page: Site Scan Pricing | 3D Robotics - Drone & UAV Technology
That is an expensive Solo package, $12,175.00, and it appears they are still in business. In any event, I now have 4 Solo's and have got 2 all setup and flying perfect. Here's a video of a test flight around my back yard. YES, I'm a hermit!
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

I think at this point when purchasing a Solo it has to be with the mindset of a hobbyist willing to learn to fix things rather than as a general consumer relying on the help of the manufacturer.

I look at it from sort of an opposite perspective. I've been building Pixhawk-based quadcopters for a few years and they fly great. Those are my hobbyist drones. The Solo I purchased because it has everything in one package already configured and is geared towards stable aerial videography. So the Solo is my serious flyer. It flies so stable and nearly automatically that it can be kind of boring at times, but it is spectacular for filming. The price just dropped to $299US again, so I may pick up my third!

I presume I am mostly on my own and relying on the kindness and insightful help of others on forums such as this. I smashed my solo into the top of a fairly tall tree awhile back. The explanation was that I did some poor piloting and was just getting used to using Tower. I was able to track the Solo's location by foot following the GPS trail left on Tower into some fairly thick woods. Amazing. It spilled to the ground and I am amazed that only fatality was the gimbal.

Every 12 months or so there is a huge leap in what is available and if I can get by with this purchase for that long with my gopro intact I will be thrilled. I have this delusion that when things finally on my Solo are worn out and not economical to repair, the new pixhawk 2 will survive and I can incorporate it into a new quad, plane or flying wing. I regret not buying a 3dr Aero when they closed them out. I did grab 4 of the motors though and I'm considering trying to install them on the Solo.

I think at this point when purchasing a Solo it has to be with the mindset of a hobbyist willing to learn to fix things rather than as a general consumer relying on the help of the manufacturer.

For what I paid, it is insane what I can do with my solo and the mountain of what I still have to learn if I choose to.
That waa an awesome reply and you are 100% right.

Ugh! I can not pass on a deal! I went and bought another system. I had a 10% off coupon so I got it for $269. I am a Elite Plus member so I have 45 days to change my mind. I figure it's a good insurance policy in case something goes wrong. My greatest hesitation stemmed from 3DR's lack of support but I've found that I can count on Best Buy. Now the only thing I worry about is losing my irreplaceable Go Pro.... I guess we'll see how it goes.

Is the Gimbal price of $79.99 still the sale price? It doesn't say what it used to be...

What are the chances of needing a replacement gimbal? If the Solo crashes will that most likely always break the gimbal?

Reactions: Tom Para
Not really. Yesterday they were $40. Wait a week. most likely they will go back to $40 or under.

Reactions: spartaHawk
Is the Gimbal price of $79.99 still the sale price? It doesn't say what it used to be...

What are the chances of needing a replacement gimbal? If the Solo crashes will that most likely always break the gimbal?
I broke/bent a gimbal recently after a very low altitude crash. Luckily, Best Buy hooked me up with another solo and gimbal after I told them what happened (unit malfunction). I agree that the price will most likely go back down on accessories soon.

Thanks to this thread, I am now an excited and impatient (we got rain overnight) new 3DR Solo owner. BestBuy had them at $300 with a spare battery, gimbal and extra props. I couldn't say no! I may go back and stock up on props for $8 a pair.

Thanks to this thread, I am now an excited and impatient (we got rain overnight) new 3DR Solo owner. BestBuy had them at $300 with a spare battery, gimbal and extra props. I couldn't say no! I may go back and stock up on props for $8 a pair.

Wait a little bit for the props. They should drop back down to $3.99 shortly.

Wait a little bit for the props. They should drop back down to $3.99 shortly.
Sweet! Thanks! Looking online, I can't find them for less than around $15 so $8 was a bargain! $3.99 is even better!

I went over to a Bestbuy this morning to pick up an open box Solo (to be my spare ).
They refused to honor the free battery/gimbal and props.
After 20minutes at the online pickup window the store manager assed out and told the girl to refund my money.
I wanted to let Ernest (the manager) at store # 394 I have filed a complaint against you. What a total Jerk.
I don't know what to think of best buy. 2 weeks ago I bought my first Solo at a different store (purchased online) At the pick up window after 5-10 minutes looking around for the order he handed me a battery, 2 props and the gimbal. No Solo. He said to me that it did not come with the drone. After another 10 minutes he finally went to the back to get the Solo. LoL.
I truly hate Bestbuy / Worst Buy is a better name :eek:

Wonder if batteries will be back on sale in a week.

I went over to a Bestbuy this morning to pick up an open box Solo (to be my spare ).
After 20minutes at the online pickup window the store manager assed out and told the girl to refund my money.
I wanted to let Ernest (the manager) at store # 394 I have filed a complaint against you. What a total Jerk.
I don't know what to think of best buy. 2 weeks ago I bought my first Solo at a different store (purchased online) At the pick up window after 5-10 minutes looking around for the order he handed me a battery, 2 props and the gimbal. No Solo. He said to me that it did not come with the drone. After another 10 minutes he finally went to the back to get the Solo. LoL.

Eh, we all have our experiences with any big box stores. I've always done very well with Best Buy. I totally crashed my drone and they replaced it and the gimbal.

Eh, we all have our experiences with any big box stores. I've always done very well with Best Buy. I totally crashed my drone and they replaced it and the gimbal.

Exactly. You can hardly complain about getting something for less than parts price. Retail is hard.

hey brothers - gimbals are at ZERO stock at all best buy disty centers - buy what you can as there is NO MORE EVER

Well for what it's worth in South West Michigan every store has a few. Customer service at my local store told me that they got a ton of solo stuff in recently.

Web site doesn't show the sale right now. Do we have an off week?

I've had pretty good experiences so far with best buy. They sold me the solo package for the $299 even after it went back up to $499. It always depends on the store, manager and if they really care about customer service. On a side note I went in on Saturday to buy a second package deal and they told me they had just got a shipment of more solos. I also tried to buy a open box but they at first refused to include the gimbal, battery and extra props. They eventually agreed but i felt the $30 savings wasn't worth having a used solo.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Minh44