Advice

Reaction score
im new to whole quadcopters idea. I love photography and when I seen some time lapse video I was hooked and sold on the new approach compared to getting an eye level view of things. I really don't know much about the hobby. I am torn on the 3DR solo and DJI Phantom 2. I want to use my GoPro hero 4 Black that I'm awaiting to arrive via mail. I want to know what your thoughts are on the two because all the reviews I've read from Amazon and other sites makes it seem like aren't worth the money especially the Solo. I really like what I've seen in YouTube videos about it. So am I'm investing to much in something thats going to take forever to learn or should I be looking at something else?
Thanks Keshia

Hi Keshia, and welcome. I had the DJI Phantom 2 before my current Solo. My reasons for going with Solo are pretty simple. The Phantom 2 was replaced by the Phantom 3, and so was a bit behind in the technology that the 3 had. At that time the value of my Phantom 2 was going down, and it seemed that if I wanted to keep up with the new advances from DJI, I would have to buy the Phantom 3 or even the Inspire. I had been reading about 3DR and the Solo they were coming out with. The more I read, the more I agreed with their concept of the open platform Solo. The fact that the Solo, as well as the controller had a computer on board, meant that as 3DR came out with new firmware for Solo, I didn't have to buy another UAV to keep up with the times. All I had to do was download the new updates they would come out with, and I was right up to date with the newest offerings they had. That being said, I sold my Phantom 2 while I could get a decent price for it, and bought the Solo. I have not regretted it for a minute. They have come through with all their promises, and even though there were bumps in the road, and delays on release dates, the Solo is a great platform with a lot of room to grow. That, added with the far superior customer service than DJI offers, just made it a smart move. The Solo is almost too easy to learn to fly, and that can get you into a false sense of security sometimes. If you read the owners manual, take your time until you get some experience, and use tools like this forum to ask questions and learn from others, you will be fine. Which ever one you choose, please use common sense, and fly responsibly and safely. I wish you luck, and hope to see you on here again.

Reactions: Keshia
Welcome Keshia! Where do you call home?
Sounds like you need to do some more research on quadcopters in general. These models are not toys and like anything that flys, there is a learning curve.

You will need to develop new skills in order to fly competently no matter which model you choose. Depending on where you live, there may be some form of government regulation.

Neither the P2 or Solo will take long to learn to fly but it is something you need to practice with. Maybe you can find someone or a club nearby to try one out- see what you think of drones in general.

They are a lot of fun to fly and you can get video & photos not possible from the ground. :)

Hi Maddog,
I live in New Bern,NC I have downloaded the B4U Fly app no matter where I go here I'm within a 5mile radius of an airport and it tells me to notify air port and air traffic control. I have quite figure that out yet. I suppose a little later in the day I will call and see what restrictions that imply. No there isn't an quadcopters group in my area the group in my area are R/C guys and me not knowing a thing would feel pretty dumb going to them asking them questions about quadcopters. I have nothing but time on my hand now that I have been sidelined from working out & running. It's kind of been an hobby that's I've been dabbling in research but never took to much thought to because I know I'm not that coordinated when it comes racing/flying video game. When I saw the smartest of the Solo I figured I might have a slight chance to take beautiful time lapse videos I enjoy from a different perspective than I can see with my Kessler Sealth & second shooter bundle.

Kessler Sealth is for pretty serious photography isn't it?
Coastal Carolina is the only airport I see in your area- are there some smaller ones nearby?

Basically you can't fly within 5 miles of an airport or above 400 ft above the ground.

Even flying a Solo requires some hand/eye coordination, especially if the automation fails and you have to fly manually.

You can always buy a cheap quad like a Syma X5C (about $50 on Amazon) to see what you think. That's why I did.

Hope this helps!

Yes the Sealth is it makes awesome time lapse videos I use it with my Nikon D750. I just love photography in general I want to give it a go with a solo and a GoPro I'm a little hesitant to put my NikonD750 up in the air lol.

Yes the Sealth is it makes awesome time lapse videos I use it with my Nikon D750. I just love photography in general I want to give it a go with a solo and a GoPro I'm a little hesitant to put my NikonD750 up in the air lol.
Not many drones that can lift that camera!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Minh44