Advice on external battery for tablet

Reaction score
Anyone using a external battery that actually charges an 8" tablet?

Im using a galaxy tab s2 8.0 and i'm looking for an external battery that will charge it for extended time in the field. None of my current cell phone external batteries do much (even a samsung one) apart from barely holding the charge, usually it just declines slower than normal when in use. Im looking for something that between flights will increase the charge without powering down the tablet, for say 16 batteries worth of flights and on the fly mission planning.

Ive looked fairly extensively, but few people with tablets seem to be after external batteries, and there is little to no info on ext batt models that work for tablets

Anyone using a external battery that actually charges an 8" tablet?

Im using a galaxy tab s2 8.0 and i'm looking for an external battery that will charge it for extended time in the field. None of my current cell phone external batteries do much (even a samsung one) apart from barely holding the charge, usually it just declines slower than normal when in use. Im looking for something that between flights will increase the charge without powering down the tablet, for say 16 batteries worth of flights and on the fly mission planning.

Ive looked fairly extensively, but few people with tablets seem to be after external batteries, and there is little to no info on ext batt models that work for tablets

Not sure if this is what you are after, but we made up a 12volt GEL cell battery and a solar panel with a USB socket charger (they type you plug into your car) we use it out in the field to charge phones or tabelts if we are away from power all day. Might work, we bought the parts at a local electronics store (Jaycar in Australia) easy to make up.

You could plug into that between flights or if you are not moving around much during flight, use a longer cable and plug the tablet in all of the time.

It may not be what you are after but thought I would mention it as we have done this successfully.

Reactions: Damien
I know what you mean, i have had a similar issue with my Note 2014 10.1. When the battery got to 30% I used to have the battery pack in my pocket trying to keep the tablet charged as it dropped away quickly after that. I have since replaced the battery so it holds its charge better.

If the tablet can it will draw the max current it is designed to and charge as fast as it can. There are a few things that can affect how quickly the tablet will charge.

The max current output of the battery pack - if this is lower than the max current the tablet can draw during charging then this could reduce the charging rate.
The USB cable you are using - a better quality cable with thicker wire will allow more current to flow and may increase the charging rate of the tablet.

You could look at reducing the load on the tablet's battery, reducing screen brightness, only running the apps you need etc.

Not sure if this is what you are after, but we made up a 12volt GEL cell battery and a solar panel with a USB socket charger (they type you plug into your car) we use it out in the field to charge phones or tabelts if we are away from power all day. Might work, we bought the parts at a local electronics store (Jaycar in Australia) easy to make up.

You could plug into that between flights or if you are not moving around much during flight, use a longer cable and plug the tablet in all of the time.

It may not be what you are after but thought I would mention it as we have done this successfully.
Thanks Rob. I have this setup as well, I use it when I can get dropped off and left by a vehicle. What I'm looking for now is for when I have to hike everything in myself.

The USB cable you are using - a better quality cable with thicker wire will allow more current to flow and may increase the charging rate of the tablet.

You could look at reducing the load on the tablet's battery, reducing screen brightness, only running the apps you need etc.

Yep, I run quality cables. All that's on the tablet is drone apps, it's my dedicated solo tablet, but I find it desirable to run full brightness outside when flying. The GPS chews power too.

I know what you mean, i have had a similar issue with my Note 2014 10.1. When the battery got to 30% I used to have the battery pack in my pocket trying to keep the tablet charged as it dropped away quickly after that. I have since replaced the battery so it holds its charge better.

Does your battery pack now charge you tablet when in use at a similar rate to a wall charger? If so, what pack do you have?

THIS is the one I carry.

I have/use the Tab S 8.4 which has the same 2.1 Amp max charge rate as the S2...

I haven't had to charge it while using it now as the battery now holds a good charge. I think also with mine as it got low the battery didn't output as much for the last 30-40% as it did for the first 60%.

I have a TP Link 10,000mAh battery with a 1A and 2A port. I haven't tried it using the tablet and charger when the battery was near full.

Maybe see how the battery pack charger performs when your tablet is around 80% and being used. If it keeps up then it could be the battery is on its way out.....

THIS is the one I carry.

I have/use the Tab S 8.4 which has the same 2.1 Amp max charge rate as the S2...
cheers bruce, using yours as the minimum specs, i just bought this one that's bigger and more powerful, so hopefully i should have no issues running the tab with it.

thanks to all for chiming in

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Motoxxx1986