Adding a multi spectral camera

Reaction score
Hi - new to this site but need help. I have a mica-sense red edge camera that I would like to attach to the 3DR solo and use Tower to program my flights. I cannot find anyone that will tell me if I can attach this camera. It is fairly small and weighs 150 grams. It has its own GPS but I want the camera itself integrated with Pix hawk. It has two cables one for the GPS and the other to connect - (this camera has been easily programmed to run with the Iris Plus). Only issue is I have the 3DR Solo and all literature tells me it can be done but I am not an expert and was wondering if anyone would be able to tell me if it can be done and maybe how? Big Ask I know. Thank you.

Hi - fixed mounting point would be fine - 3D printer would be the go there but what about connection - I thought it would be like any other camera - you can connect Mapir multi spectral camera to 3DR Solo so imagine the connections would be the same - anyone know?

What video output does this camera have? And does it have 'Live video' out?

Hi
It has four slots - here they are
PWR/TRIG, EXT, COMM, GPS It has its own dedicated GPS -3DR
I am not at all familiar with the wiring up and attaching of cameras - more a go flying and mapping person using a DJI Inspire so have purchased the Solo as I can attach my Micasense camera to it but not sure how. Am getting a 3D printed type attachment and it can be fixed. Hope I am not confusing the issue more and thanks so much for your help thus far

Hello,

Actually I'm in the same position. I have a Micasense and a 3DR solo.
I designed 3D parts and printed to apply to solo and fly with the camera pointed down.
Although I think it is possible to combine the micasense and use it with pixhawk, I don't think I will be doing that for now.

Have you tested the flight with the 3D parts?

Hi - I have found a techi that is able to configure camera to 3DR Solo and hopefully pixhawk as well. Beyond me I just fly!! What program have you used to do mapping?- I thought I would use Tower as you can return to the last way point whereas in Mission Planner that option is not there yet (or so I have read?) My 3D printed attachment is being made for me and have yet to test it but hope it will be going soon. Have you attached your camera using the screws or have you made a bracket? I think it will be a trial and error mission!! I would be interested to hear how you get on with yours and if you are happy with the results :)

Hello! I used to use Mission Planner, but since I bougth Solo I'm using Tower to plan the missions.

I'm planning on testing Micasense on Solo this week (if the weather helps) with the 3D printed mount.
I'm printed a mount that is attached to the camera and has Vibration Damping Balls.

I agree, this is going to be trial and error until I get it right! But I think it will work eventually
Once I'm done with experimenting I will share with you the results. ;)

Hi - thats fantastic - I cant wait to hear how you get on - it is really good of you to share with me as with the Micasense there is not a lot of outside knowledge on setting it up. I am also happy to share with you once I get up and running in the near future. Good luck!!

the simplest method to integrate the red edge with solo is to use the accessory bay. the accessory bay provides power and pwm. keep in mind that pwm has to be connected to the accessory bay port as it was disconnected by 3dr from some odd reason. you would use the red edge gps for gps. and in tower or mission planner you would to enable the rc channel (6, 7 or 8) and configure the camera shutter.

a more advanced method of integration is to use mavlink via the accessory bay. the accessory bay provides power and mavlink. mavlink can be used to trigger and provide gps from solo's gps. this would require dronekit python to be running on board solo though.

Thank you for that -I will certainly pass this on to the techie helping me. I appreciate the help:)

From what I've read, you can indeed trigger cameras with the 5V output, but micasense doesn't have a battery, and it need 2A for that. Since VCC Battery pins is limited to 1.1A, you still have to power the camera with an external power source, like a power bank.

I've tested micasense on board of Solo and the results were great! Of course, the flight time has decreased, and it is now about 10min

I am a little surprised by the flight time - do you have the Go Pro on as well? and if so do you have the gimbal or just using the attachment that comes with the solo. I plan to use the attachment as its lighter. My solo is still having the technician sort out the camera etc so will share results with you

Actually the flight time is now at 13-15 minutes. I didn't use it fully the last time. But I only fly with micasense and a small power bank.

If you are planning on using the gopro on as well, the flight time will certainly decrease.

But I'm happy with the results, Solo is a very good drone and micasense works very well onboard, producing good results.

Hi - thanks for that - I will be interested to see how mine goes - how are you triggering the camera? Do you use Tower or Mission planner to fly grids? I plan to use Tower as it has return to last waypoint if you have to do a battery change. What are your thoughts?

Hello, sorry for the time it took me to come back here.

I use Tower to plan the missions, but mission planner works as well.
Recently the app Pix4D capture has compatibility with Solo, so it also works to plan missions.

For triggering I set micasense to take a picture depending on the overlap I chose. Or I use the timelapse.

Actually the flight time is now at 13-15 minutes. I didn't use it fully the last time. But I only fly with micasense and a small power bank.

If you are planning on using the gopro on as well, the flight time will certainly decrease.

But I'm happy with the results, Solo is a very good drone and micasense works very well onboard, producing good results.
What power bank are you using?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nothingworks