4200' flight, stock everything

Reaction score
I wanted to test the range out in the Columbia Gorge, OR and was completely flippin shocked at how far I was able to get. Everything in the Solo is stock, with Gimbal and GoPro Hero4 Black shooting in 4k/30fps (downsampled to 1280x720 to post on FB, then FB ran their "magic" on it).

RTH didn't actually kick in, but I was down to 1 bar (don't know the exact reading, still a novice). That happens at about 6:54 and I returned rapidly from there. I was quite nervous lol. I normally get about 1,000 ft in the Portland area.

I love this thing. Watching that footage on a 75" 4K tv is... jaw dropping and makes me want to get a 120".

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Reactions: Raybro
I wanted to test the range out in the Columbia Gorge, OR and was completely flippin shocked at how far I was able to get. Everything in the Solo is stock, with Gimbal and GoPro Hero4 Black shooting in 4k/30fps (downsampled to 1280x720 to post on FB, then FB ran their "magic" on it).

RTH didn't actually kick in, but I was down to 1 bar (don't know the exact reading, still a novice). That happens at about 6:54 and I returned rapidly from there. I was quite nervous lol. I normally get about 1,000 ft in the Portland area.

I love this thing. Watching that footage on a 75" 4K tv is... jaw dropping and makes me want to get a 120".

I know that place!! No wind huh?

Awesome Steve, agreed, went out 3300' (1km) today, stock everything (except gps - but anyway).

I have got out to 8498' on complete stock

and
14894' with just alfas (no amps on either )

I would not recommend the longer distance test as I landed with only 3% battery left that said I flew in a higher humidity environment (around 50%) and a 9mph headwind on the return flight so I think it could possibly make the 15k' mark but I won't be trying to again (too nerve racking)

PdxSteve, I was curious about the RSSI and signal bar strength that you were seeing on this long flight. You said 1 bar, what was RSSI showing? I am flying a new Solo and it goes down to 2 bars/68 RSSI at a little over 400 feet distance at 150 altitude and I'm out in an open field. It doesn't seem like it has the same range as my other older Solo. I never get below mid 50's and usually 4 or 5 bars in the same location with my older Solo.

At that time (9 months ago) I didn't know what RSSI was or where it was in the app lol, so I didn't notice. However, where I was there was like 0 other wifi for miles around (wifi scanner didn't pick anything up), so I basically had the full spectrum to myself. That makes a huge difference when it comes to range. When I'm in the city and have to compete with other wifi traffic, the range is a lot less. However, I've moved up to FPVLR antennas since then and never have a problem anymore no matter where I am.

One other thing to check is to make sure your (stock) antenna orientation is as shown in this guide: Communication Range | 3DR - Drone & UAV Technology

Thanks. I have 3 of these birds now (couldn't resist the clearance sales). Antennas are positioned per manual. I've watched RSSI/signal strength and no. of GPS/HDOP values from day one. I also have an FPVLR on my No.1 bird and like you never notice signal degradation/range issues. On the latest Solo the range seems a bit short with stock antennas. I will compare the two that I have with their stock antennas on same flight path/altitude to see if there is a big difference or not. I guess I may have gotten used to the FPVLR range. I got a red signal icon today at about 650 feet on one of the birds with the stock antennas. Doesn't seem right. I tried a pair of Alpha antennas, but they were no different than stock on my newest Solo. I haven't been brave enough to fly out of sight, may test the FPVLR and see how far I can manage to let myself go.
I've got a trouble ticket in with 3DR on a gimbal issue on my new bird, not related to range. It twitches. I swapped it over to another Solo and it still twitched. Waiting for answer. After that is solved I will discuss range with them. I was hoping this latest bird would be trouble free as the two earlier quads were. I do like how fast the GPS locks on the new bird and it still has a rev A board. I got shields yesterday in the mail, will install this week.

You just might try popping open the controller and making sure both antennas are securely connected to the wifi board. They are very, very tiny snap connectors that need to be perfect, and then they are hot glued to hold them in place. Its possible one is not seated correctly so you might actually only be using 1 antenna.

Yes, thanks, thought about that. I took antennas off while on ground, powered/looking at App and attached them first the right and then the left by themselves. No difference in RSSI, both nearly same value. If one were disconnected that would have isolated the bad one.
Been flying electric R/C planes for almost 20 years and nitro birds for nearly 48 years. My first quad was a Gaui 300X kit. Second was a Blade 350Qx that I did a bunch of mods on including an external antenna for the radio (tiny tiny coax snap connector) an external GPS antenna, longer legs, and rigging up a $60 chinese eBay gimbal for my GoPro. It worked really well. It's what got me into these more expensive birds. Not adverse to opening things up, but this new Solo is still less than 30 days old, warranty being what it is. If I have to experiment it will be on the the 1 year old bird. I expected a bit more for the $ (i.e. no issues) even though I am a Solo fan, I've had no crashes, fly-aways or weird operational stuff, they work well. Boot up/connection problems occasionally, but they are a rock solid, sturdy, well engineered platform, just wish they could do 4k/60 vids. I'm doing 2k with the GoPro 4 Black, but just not as good as the 4k off the P3 camera, especially when you've looked at vids side by side.

Hero5 is supposed to do 4k/60, but it's also supposed to be a smaller form factor (unconfirmed rumors). The form factor might not be that big of a deal as long as the hero bus and pinout is the same so you could connect it...then all you'd need is a 3d printed housing for it to make it the same form factor as the 4 so it would fit snug in the gimbal. I guess we'll see what's possible around the holidays if they release it.

I'd file a support ticket and just try to get a replacement since you're well within your warranty period or just exchange it depending on where you bought it from since you're within 30 days. It sounds like you've done as much as you can so the problem is likely more internal. And I agree on the quality control of these things, especially at the initial $1,400 price. They must have lost a lot of money on all of these repairs/replacements because of that. Yes stuff happens in electronics manufacturing, but if apple or something had this poor of quality control they wouldn't exist.

Freebird- If you have to send your 'bad' controller back to 3dr, you can use the 'good' controller on both your birds by re-pairing with each bird for use. Kind of a pain, but keeps both Solos flying if necessary, and if they're rigged differently for different missions. But is it evident that the controller was cracked open - if you do?

Don't know yet if Solo or controller is an issue, wrt range. Not going to open controller. Need to do some more range tests, but Gimbal is having issues for sure. Maybe I'll pair my old controller to new Solo and see how much range I get. That will help isolate issue if indeed there is one.

Reactions: SARDG

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Minh44