4.5 miles on a modded Solo

I've gone 4 miles with a stock Solo, other than I was using one Alfa patch antenna and one stock rubber antenna. Of course, this was in the open desert with no other WiFi signals. It was also a round trip - 2 miles each way. I had over 50% battery juice left when I landed.

I've gone 4 miles with a stock Solo, other than I was using one Alfa patch antenna and one stock rubber antenna. Of course, this was in the open desert with no other WiFi signals. It was also a round trip - 2 miles each way. I had over 50% battery juice left when I landed.
According to him, his was a 1 way flight and he landed 4.5 miles away.

We landed on the moon like twelve times. So I guess we've gone to Mars if you add the distance. I few my P4 12 miles yesterday.
The Solo is lucky to get a half a mile out of box in town anywhere. I know. I had four. Then I dumped the Toy Novelty 3DR Gismo trying to get distance and obtain customer phone service and purchased a real aerial photography platform in the Phantom-IV. If you have not owned and used "not played with" one of these P4 bad boys you do not know what you have in Drone technical advancements available. The printed factory documentation States 3..1 mile with no extras. I have had mine 2 Miles without any signal loss whatsoever. HUGE difference in vehicles. And of course the P4 many more usable new options that work and already has all the options the Solo has been working on for two years trying to perfect there literally no comparison in the two products. True Story!

You must have a lot of extra time on your hands to go around trolling about a product you don't even have anymore. Have fun with your p4!

We landed on the moon like twelve times. So I guess we've gone to Mars if you add the distance. I few my P4 12 miles yesterday.
The Solo is lucky to get a half a mile out of box in town anywhere. I know. I had four. Then I dumped the Toy Novelty 3DR Gismo trying to get distance and obtain customer phone service and purchased a real aerial photography platform in the Phantom-IV. If you have not owned and used "not played with" one of these P4 bad boys you do not know what you have in Drone technical advancements available. The printed factory documentation States 3..1 mile with no extras. I have had mine 2 Miles without any signal loss whatsoever. HUGE difference in vehicles. And of course the P4 many more usable new options that work and already has all the options the Solo has been working on for two years trying to perfect there literally no comparison in the two products. True Story!

I must agree i own a solo and i just bought a new P4 I no longer miss shots waiting for satellite reception. I want to love my solo and i do but the phantom 4 is so much better not even have a clue i wanted my solo to be the best but its not it always has some issue the P4 just works and takes better 4k video

Ya, if you discount the product lines tendency to fly away for no reason, the P4 is great

I played that game with them on 2 Phantom's. No thanks.

Solo Rocks!

Reactions: seansolo
Thanks for the info. On the phantom4. I have also had both products. My solo will fly as far as my battery will last. I know the new phantom has a longer lasting battery. 3dr is working on a new battery. Other companies are breaking through on new technology. I would not bash 3dr or dji or another company. Try to buy a product that fits your needs. I like a helicopter that can be fitted with different cameras and has the ability for 3rd party applications. I do not like the idea of being forced to buy a new and updated product every year, to keep up with the latest technology in drone development.

Reactions: Matt Whitmus
You are correct. But sometimes Stating Facts sounds like Bashing. If my needs were, no customer phone support on an outdated product that never was complete then I would have stayed with the Toy Solo. I needed an Aerial Platform to video and edit for real estate companies. The Phantom-IV seamlessly fly's in under coverage without the vehicle doing funny things and having to switch GPS off.

Two Totally and Completely different machines. Big....No, Huge difference in the two. Thank you for your attention as to this matter.

Reactions: Greg Parker
No, not Trolling at all. Just stating the truth. I owned 4 IRIS+, All Shit. I owned 4 Solo, All Shit, of which I'm luckly I just shed the last one on eBay so I wouldnt get stuck with an antiquated product.
Like I said, which Was a fact, 3DR used to have great customer phone communications and service, Now,,, Shit! Sorry if this hurts feelings but I loved 3DR service and was extremely hopeful and patient hoping a finish product would soon appear. Sorry, but it never did.

Now they are a year behind. And they have killed their customer phone support. Wonder what could possibly be going wrong at 3DR. Nothing? Sure,,, keep telling yourself that. I went to their "Huge Return" facility in San Diego and took a tour last September and Yes, I agree, it is sad. But don't blaim me for stating facts and warnings to other potential unsuspecting dronies looking for the absolute best and latest "this year" product available with the most awesome features and a company that still has customer phone contact support.
Sorry,,, Solo just didn't make that cut. They did for about six months last year. Maybe later they will regroup, design a better product, get it out to the public as a completed item and not in pieces one month and parts the next month.

As they and everyone associated are learning, the purchasing public hold no favorites. If you can't talk to me about my $1000 dollar product I bought from you, especially when your product is already inferior, then the writing is on the wall.

I would rather spend half again and get a better machine. But no one's talking cost or money. We're talking finished, working product with a phone number so the buyer can talk to someone for support.
Is that really to much to ask for when spending over a thousand bucks?
Well excuse my John Q purchasing public ass.

You made a that dumb statement and all I'm doing is replying. Ok I'm not Trolling. But sure seems you must! You love that term.

Often, as you will find when you gain more experience with online product forums, especially drones, many people don't chime in unless they are having or have had a problem or have had horrible support. Hmm!

Consider my statements as factual and to serve as customer information. If you don't like it, add it to your on going growing collection of issues in your life you disagree with and we'll end it as disagreeing.
Good luck keeping your Toy Solo flying.

im not trolling...just a quick 7 paragraphs on why solos are shit...hahaha

Lol. I don't have a Solo, but I care so much and have nothing better to do but hang out on their forums and stir crap lol.
main-qimg-46b4ad416b5224a7ef015c8283a7775a

I stand by my statements as factual. You consider hard facts as Trolling, I call it a Consumer Warning. But whatever. You sound like Trump bitching about the rules being rigged. It is what it is dude.

Solo is now a yesteryear tech in a today's tech environment being quickly surpassed by its competition. It is old, incomplete and non supported and not anyone's fault but 3DR. Certainly not mine. Hell, I had a total of eight of their incomplete efforts. I call that a fare chance.

There ya go, two paragraphs so I made it easier on your tender Monday morning starting of the week.

Fly safe. Enjoy it while it last. And keep an eye on that Solo. It's liable to do anything.

Thanks! I have a lot of fun flying my Solo and don't experience any of the problems you keep mentioning. Must be a fluke. I'm glad "yours is better than mine"... for "you". Personally I could give a rats ass lol. Solo does everything "I" need it to and want it to. If it didn't, I'd go buy something else. Money isn't really an issue. Go have fun flying your P4, dude. I just think it's funny you spend all of this time correcting "facts" for something you don't even own. Are you collecting unemployment or something and just need to fill your day with trivial stuff to do?

You sound like one of the paid DJI people who go around forums and social media. DJI actually does that.

@Satmandanny Do you receive any sort of compensation from DJI or any UAV company? Now, lying does cancel that contract, doesn't it? :)

Reactions: jibcamera
That was 4 paragraphs.. You know, like the 4 iterations of white garbage you need to buy per season to keep up...

No, not Trolling at all. Just stating the truth. I owned 4 IRIS+, All Shit. I owned 4 Solo, All Shit, of which I'm luckly I just shed the last one on eBay so I wouldnt get stuck with an antiquated product.
Like I said, which Was a fact, 3DR used to have great customer phone communications and service, Now,,, Shit! Sorry if this hurts feelings but I loved 3DR service and was extremely hopeful and patient hoping a finish product would soon appear. Sorry, but it never did.

Now they are a year behind. And they have killed their customer phone support. Wonder what could possibly be going wrong at 3DR. Nothing? Sure,,, keep telling yourself that. I went to their "Huge Return" facility in San Diego and took a tour last September and Yes, I agree, it is sad. But don't blaim me for stating facts and warnings to other potential unsuspecting dronies looking for the absolute best and latest "this year" product available with the most awesome features and a company that still has customer phone contact support.
Sorry,,, Solo just didn't make that cut. They did for about six months last year. Maybe later they will regroup, design a better product, get it out to the public as a completed item and not in pieces one month and parts the next month.

As they and everyone associated are learning, the purchasing public hold no favorites. If you can't talk to me about my $1000 dollar product I bought from you, especially when your product is already inferior, then the writing is on the wall.

I would rather spend half again and get a better machine. But no one's talking cost or money. We're talking finished, working product with a phone number so the buyer can talk to someone for support.
Is that really to much to ask for when spending over a thousand bucks?
Well excuse my John Q purchasing public ass.

You made a that dumb statement and all I'm doing is replying. Ok I'm not Trolling. But sure seems you must! You love that term.

Often, as you will find when you gain more experience with online product forums, especially drones, many people don't chime in unless they are having or have had a problem or have had horrible support. Hmm!

Consider my statements as factual and to serve as customer information. If you don't like it, add it to your on going growing collection of issues in your life you disagree with and we'll end it as disagreeing.
Good luck keeping your Toy Solo flying.
You must be a slow learner- 4 Iris' & 4 Solos to decide you didn't like them.o_O

Reactions: jibcamera
I'm not trolling the site. I'm giving info about my experience. It's a conversation. It started by signing up to the IRIS+/SOLO Forum when I first joined up with 3D Robotics. Sometimes the truth is a bitter pill to swallow. I know it was for me during the last 2 years I've tried to hold on and continue to believe in 3DR.

I absolutely had no idea what the DJI stuff was about. I had heard some things not so great but I had not seen or flown one. I didn't even like the looks of it. And when the Solo came out about the same time as the Phantom 2 there was no comparison. It not only looked futuristic and cool, Solo kicked the Phantoms butt hands down. And I was the first to argue with all my associates about DJI vs 3DR. Believe me if you could have heard the conversations. But that was then. Then as in a year and a half ago. When 3DR had a superior product and customer service. And now,,,, 3DR has some problems. I'm not sure they will recover and survive. I hope they come up with something impressive. It's like how we had to wait for the Gimbal. Long overdue. While the competition is developing 3 new models.

If you have never flown the new white cube then you are not a true drone aficionado and you most certainly want to try it. The form factor and flying model is completely different than Solo. For one thing, you can depend on. Honestly it is very dependable. Even while flying from full GPS lock to in under trees and into a large metal building. Not a glitch or shake or hiccup. And without the clunky GoPro. At 28 minutes of solid flight it is quite impressive.

Happy Flying! Be Safe!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Minh44