3dr Y-6 Pixhawk 2.1 Here +

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,
Not sure where to post at... didn't see Y6 area?

My new 'used' 3dr with APM 2.6
--Now--.
Has new Pixhawk 2.1 w/o Edision
HERE+
I've flown this four about 7 minutes total.
..still need to swap out an ESC (smells bad) and Motor. (have new stuff)
.need correct prop's.
Then AutoTune.

Anyway, just wanted to share the pic's.....3drY6 (1).JPG 3drY6 (4).JPG 3drY6 (5).JPG

Reactions: XevetS and skyhax
LOL, no stunts yet.
..More info..
This was an ebay buy. $125 out the door.
Old original APM 2.6 FC system.
ALL connectors was 'glue gunned' in place.
Came with extra parts.

So...off the bat I swapped out the FC with the Pixhawk 2.1 system.
noticed that there was so dried dirt on it, figured it was crashed.
..a lot of work to un glue everything. ...maybe that's why it was sold.
Anyway, I swapped 1 ESC/Motor right away.
Had an old Iron Horse cockpit for RC helicopter. Paint and cut into place.
..weather is breaking here in Ohio, so today/tomorrow I'll be swapping out the other bad ESC/motor.
Then it's flying time.

I like the look, and there is still room for a camera under it!

About the the pixhawk and here+, I live in a very old home, like 1840's; 1.5' walls.
I got 16 Sat lock indoors in under 20 seconds. WOW!

Thanks for the comment's, youtube video soon.

Picture of 3DR drones, 2 Solo's 1 Y6 before cockpit addition.

Attachments

• 3drFleet (1).JPG
    3drFleet (1).JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 33
Reactions: skyhax
Hey there, nice y6. I also fly a y6 and it is my favorite. After flying a few times I had an esc failure at about 20 feet up which gave me an excuse to upgrade. I rebuilt with TBS 30 amp ESCs and genuine SunnySky 880kv from buddyrc while opting for a power squid instead of the 3dr distribution board (due to space). The auto tune has it locked in and flying beautifully now. Stock I flew about 8 minutes but now approx 10.

The y6 is supposed to be able to recover from a motor failure but I don't think I was high enough in the air. It definitely tried to recover.
20180429_201159.jpg

Reactions: XevetS and skyhax
Yeah! The orange works well, that's a nice looking Y6, got that Sci-Fi look!

..okay, need some help here.
Got the motor/ESC replaced over the weekend.
Still haven't got the prop's right, thinking 10" all around.

Couldn't find an answer for this anywhere....

In Mission Planner when I do the calibrations, top bottom left right front back....

Do I imagine it's a box for the Left and Right side? Or so I really set it on the side, like 45° (triangle)???

I did fly it for about a minute, seemed a little crazy.... not auto tuned yet.
Thanks for helping!!!!!

Yeah! The orange works well, that's a nice looking Y6, got that Sci-Fi look!

..okay, need some help here.
Got the motor/ESC replaced over the weekend.
Still haven't got the prop's right, thinking 10" all around.

Couldn't find an answer for this anywhere....

In Mission Planner when I do the calibrations, top bottom left right front back....

Do I imagine it's a box for the Left and Right side? Or so I really set it on the side, like 45° (triangle)???

I did fly it for about a minute, seemed a little crazy.... not auto tuned yet.
Thanks for helping!!!!!

Those props look right. They came with my y6 before I rebuilt.

As for calibration, I imagine a box or pretend you have a quadcopter when doing left/right and front/back side.

When I rebuilt mine and tried to fly, it wobbled scary bad. I tried reinstalling arducopter and that didn't work. Finally, I removed the SD card and inserted it in my computer and deleted it manually. After doing a clean install it flew well which allowed me to autotune properly.

Make sure your center of gravity is balanced with respect to the battery especially when autotuning. It's a cool drone once it's flying well. If it's balanced well it will yaw completely flat and stable

Be careful with the stock motors and ESCs as I think they are at their limit on the y6. I have had no problem with them on my 3dr x4 and they have even been submerged in a ditch but I had the failure after a few flights on the y6. Could be an anomaly but just be cautious.

Oh BTW, I got the different color props idea from an fpv racer at my club field. He was running different colors front and back which made it more visible and helps with orientation.

Last edited:
Thanks Perspective!
Made a quick jig to do the calibration's! Easy as 1 2 3...
Much better now... Still need to Autotune, got a weak battery 7-8 min. top's, plus it's been 10+mph winds for over a week.
But, I can tell it will fly better, just messy around once.
Thinking of just putting a Solo battery on it.....
Getting happier with this!

That's great, have fun! I learned from experience that auto tuning in the slightest wind is a bad idea. Mine took forever and went through the entire battery and had a hard landing. Fortunately nothing broke. I'm using Tattu 4s 5200 that I got on sale.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pvt solo