3DR Webinar: Prepare for Part 107

Reaction score
3DR is hosting a webinar on how to prepare for the Part 107 knowledge test.

When: Wednesday, August 31st at 11-12am PDT

Register: Get ready for Part 107 with our free webinar!

It will soon be legal to fly drones at work without a manned aircraft pilots license. On August 29th the FAA test centers will open the doors to the first people taking the remote pilot knowledge test.

On Wednesday, August 31st, come hear from Colin Guinn, CRO at 3DR, and Nico Bonnafoux, a Solutions Engineer at 3DR and FAA flight instructor as they teach us about the test and FAA testing in general.

Reactions: clackey
Missed the webinar, was it recorded? have a link?
Thanks

I registered early but by 1:55 ET could not get a webex seat because their limit is 500. Hope they do post the archive on YouTube.

i couldn't get on either lol. anyways here is the recording.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

While I appreciate the effort 3DR made here, my expectations were not met, and I was a bit put off by the presentation.

There were at least a couple of incorrect pieces of information given. For example, Nico, who is a former flight school instructor, stated that in order to fly in controlled airspace under Part 107, you need to file for a "waiver" with FAA 90 days in advance of your planned flight. AFAIK, that is incorrect. Applying for ATC approval through the FAA website is to be a routine process with a quick turnaround from the appropriate controlling entity. COA/COW processing still exists for flying ~outside of~ Part 107. At least that's what I am getting from reading the regulation. (I left a curt comment regarding this on the YouTube page.)

This lack of expert knowledge, combined with what Dan McKinnon joking refers to as Colin's "cavalier" attitude toward preparing for the test, left me expecting more of a sense of seriousness with regard to what FAA has put forward. Colin says his prep amounted to 45 minutes in a coffee shop on the way to the testing facility, and he suggests that people should be able to pass the test after investing only 3 hours of prep. Dan also seems to suggest only a few hours of study using 3DR's resources. Shouldn't 3DR be encouraging people to try to master the knowledge? Isn't the goal to culture expert UAV pilots?

I would have hoped for more from an authority such as 3DR. Ironically, Nico says he's hoping for a waiver to fly next to JFK. Well, waiver or not, I'd suggest boning up on your Part 107 there, sir.

While I appreciate the effort 3DR made here, my expectations were not met, and I was a bit put off by the presentation.

There were at least a couple of incorrect pieces of information given. For example, Nico, who is a former flight school instructor, stated that in order to fly in controlled airspace under Part 107, you need to file for a "waiver" with FAA 90 days in advance of your planned flight. AFAIK, that is incorrect. Applying for ATC approval through the FAA website is to be a routine process with a quick turnaround from the appropriate controlling entity. COA/COW processing still exists for flying ~outside of~ Part 107. At least that's what I am getting from reading the regulation. (I left a curt comment regarding this on the YouTube page.)

This lack of expert knowledge, combined with what Dan McKinnon joking refers to as Colin's "cavalier" attitude toward preparing for the test, left me expecting more of a sense of seriousness with regard to what FAA has put forward. Colin says his prep amounted to 45 minutes in a coffee shop on the way to the testing facility, and he suggests that people should be able to pass the test after investing only 3 hours of prep. Dan also seems to suggest only a few hours of study using 3DR's resources. Shouldn't 3DR be encouraging people to try to master the knowledge? Isn't the goal to culture expert UAV pilots?

I would have hoped for more from an authority such as 3DR. Ironically, Nico says he's hoping for a waiver to fly next to JFK. Well, waiver or not, I'd suggest boning up on your Part 107 there, sir.

I agree with you on the webinar. I listened in on the phone as I couldn't connect via the Internet because attendees exceeded 500, even though I registered. I took the Part 107 test on Monday and passed. It was much harder than I expected as outlined in a dronelife.com interview I participated in. I thought the cavalier attitude by 3DR leadership was unprofessional.
-Kim

There was a number of points on which they were not correct on the regulations and overall came off as uninformed. Based on some of Colin's responses about the questions and answers, I'm surprised he did pass.

Not to pile on here, because their prep resource seems really nicely organized for those that only want a summary, but I started to try their sample test and, I could be wrong but it seemed that I was running into a lot of incorrect answers. YMMV, but be aware.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ihatethatihavetomakeanacc