3DR Solo simulator

Reaction score
Hi, somewhere 3dr told that the app will come with a simulator where using your controller you can fly safety in the simulator. Nothing told by them so far since the release of the app. Anyone has information about it?

Hi, somewhere 3dr told that the app will come with a simulator where using your controller you can fly safety in the simulator. Nothing told by them so far since the release of the app. Anyone has information about it?

I asked them about his on their FB page and was told that the simulator has grown so much that they decided to release it as a stand alone app that will be available in July. Since we are talking about 3DR, July may mean September LOL.

It's coming though :)

Installing it now on Android!

It seems to require you to connect to your Solo controller's wifi. I was wondering how they were going to stop the world from having a free simulator, and the answer seems to be this requirement.

Installing it now on Android!

It seems to require you to connect to your Solo controller's wifi. I was wondering how they were going to stop the world from having a free simulator, and the answer seems to be this requirement.
The use of the actual controller is one of the best things about it!

Honestly I'd like to have a training port for dual control trainers, rather than software. But hey, this will work as well...

Honestly I'd like to have a training port for dual control trainers, rather than software. But hey, this will work as well...
The controller is integrated into the sim... it's designed to exactly replicate the Solo's live use.

OK, this is a bit of a disappointment. Anyone else?

Yes, with your Solo controller you can use the simulator.

You can:

Press FLY to arm the motors (but the stick down and to the right won't arm them)
Press FLY to take off after the motors are armed, or raise the left stick.
Control the gimbal tilt, using the left paddle or the right speed and click controls
Fly around. But it seems to fly VERY slowly.
Click on the video inset in the upper left hand corner to switch from a camera view to a aircraft view.
Press HOME to fly home (VERY SLOWLY)

You can press A+B+PAUSE to kill the motors in flight.

You can press the PAUSE button to cause a 'BRAKE' operation.

There are no smart shots, even thought the A and B buttons on the controller seem to show as assigned to Cable Cam and Orbit. The A and B buttons do nothing as far as I can tell.

The flight is not very realistic. Yes, you can crash into things and the Solo will fall, but it flies too slowly, and there is no setting for increasing the speed.

Maybe this is good for a rank beginner? But Since there is no speed setting, it may make people feel too confident? I don't think the real Solo will fly this slowly even if you put it in full slow mode? Or am I wrong?

Don't get me wrong, I'm happy to have the simulator, almost 8 or 9 months after release, but it sure does seem lackluster, or am I wrong? Is everyone else thrilled with this thing?

Yes, I know it will get better!

Have not gotten to play with it, but from what I have seen it does not look like it really is a simulation of actual flight.
Looks like a good trainer if you have no clue what the sticks do at all

Seems to me this simulator was designed and intended to be one thing: a training tool! Yep, it's a trainer.
I had my dad give it a go. He's 82, and has been telling me for years that he never, never could understand how I could fly RC planes and helis. For some reason he has the impression quads are the most difficult to handle of all.
Now, clear as day, he knows he could fly the Solo, at the very least well enough to take off, fly around a bit, and land safely. For the purpose of this - illustrating the basic flight operations of Solo - the app absolutely excels.
On-screen instructions explain:
Hold "Fly" to start motors.
Hold "Fly" again to take off.
Up, down, forwards and sideways - that's pretty much what basic flight boils down to and what the app simulates. True, the virtual Solo flies slowly. It would definitely be nice to have more functionality, but for its purpose it does just fine. I personally find it to be very realistic. Nope, I can't tear across the sky FPV racing pigeons or fly half a mile to get a view of downtown Manhattan (range seems to be in the vicinity of a quarter-mile), but who really cares? For stuff like that that, I can use one of many flight sims I have, from crappy iPhone apps all the way up to a pro-level RealFlight simulator that includes racing quads.
Or I can just grab Solo and go flying!
Yep, I get folks' desire to have a perfectly realistic, 100% accurate representation of the Solo. Who knows? Maybe it'll develop into one.
As it stands, though, this app is damned near perfect for introducing absolute beginners to Solo, or as an in-store "tryout" sales tool. I bet it's already being used as such (again).

Can't wait until we can load up different maps. I'd really like to be able to create some photogrammetric 3D maps with structures and trees... and then fly around my own map.

As it stands, though, this app is damned near perfect for introducing absolute beginners to Solo, or as an in-store "tryout" sales tool. I bet it's already being used as such (again)
Great points made through out and you hit the bulls-eye! This is a great tool for who it was intended. This will allow more people to be introduced into hobby UAV world. I look forward to sharing this with others that are curious for the experience.

I like to crash stuff which is why I like simulators, not $2000 worth of equipment. I wanted to see what would happen if I ran out of juice. I got 2180 ft out when RTH kicked in. I let it come back most of the way, then headed out again. This time when it lost signal, got Return To Home on the screen but it didn't. I kept pushing it towards Manhattan and got very close when the battery got to 5% and fail safe kicked in at around 5500 ft and instead of landing it started home again. It never went down at 0%, just started over at home. I don't care about that though I'm disappointed that the smart shots don't work. Any idiot can fly a drone simulator. I want to be able to practice setting up cable cams, etc. That's where the true value of a simulator would come in.

Reactions: melloman
OK, this is a bit of a disappointment. Anyone else?

Yes, with your Solo controller you can use the simulator.

You can:

Press FLY to arm the motors (but the stick down and to the right won't arm them)
Press FLY to take off after the motors are armed, or raise the left stick.
Control the gimbal tilt, using the left paddle or the right speed and click controls
Fly around. But it seems to fly VERY slowly.
Click on the video inset in the upper left-hand corner to switch from a camera view to an aircraft view.
Press HOME to fly home (VERY SLOWLY)

You can press A+B+PAUSE to kill the motors in flight.

You can press the PAUSE button to cause a 'BRAKE' operation.

There are no smart shots, even thought the A and B buttons on the controller seem to show as assigned to Cable Cam and Orbit. The A and B buttons do nothing as far as I can tell.

The flight is not very realistic. Yes, you can crash into things and the Solo will fall, but it flies too slowly, and there is no setting for increasing the speed.

Maybe this is good for a rank beginner? But Since there is no speed setting, it may make people feel too confident? I don't think the real Solo will fly this slowly even if you put it in full slow mode? Or am I wrong?

Don't get me wrong, I'm happy to have the simulator, almost 8 or 9 months after release, but it sure does seem lackluster, or am I wrong? Is everyone else thrilled with this thing?

Yes, I know it will get better!

Thrilled may be a bit overstated, more like happy it finally came out and it helps beginners get the feel for what the buttons and sticks do. My first flight was $1,000 lesson on how to install a new gimbal and buy a new go pro camera. The simulator would have been a thrill back then. I do hope they upgrade including alt, speed, and other settings like cable cam, orbit, and follow me so when you are out in the field it is 1,2,3 go instead of 1. read, check, that's not right, what was that? ok back to? ok got it, 2. read, check, that's not right, what was that? ok back to? ok got it, 3. read, check, that's not right, what was that? ok back to? ok got it wait; it's not working. Shut everything down lets start over. 1. read, check, that's not right, what was that? ok back to? ok got it, 2. read, check, is that right? what was that? ok? ok got it, 3. check, it's working! When you get out, and it all works great, it makes the trip so much better. I would rather practice at home in a chair than standing in a field or park with people passing by asking questions.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Minh44