3dr SOLO Factory Antenna Sweep (Return Loss Measurement)

Reaction score
I took the opportunity at work today to use our sweep gear and tested the 2 antennas that came with SOLO. They actually sweep pretty good. Here is a screen shot for the data. For the people that know what Return Loss is in an antenna/coax system. For those that don't: The lower the number the better. -14.00dB would be considered borderline fail in the RF world. Both of these antennas pass at both WiFi Channels 6 and 11. Which is what I think SOLO uses.

It would not be wise to change the WiFi channels in solo to "Improve" your range. The higher the channel the better performance you will get, but you still need the separation between the two channels. Changing channels would only improve your resistance to other WiFi interference. Just a little tip there.

Marker Description:
M1: WiFi Channel 6 : -14.98dB
M2: WiFi Channel 11: -19.92dB

M3: Best value of the antenna, around Channel 13 (Not available in North America) :-26.63dB
Measurement0032.png

I don't deal with these frequencies often but amazing the difference in loss between the channel frequencies. Less than 1/2 power going from 6 to 11.

To bad your an ex solo owner rrmccabe... Question not to be rude but why are you in the solo forum then?
Anywho... its not power I was measuring thats important, its the ability of frequency matching, What that test shows is how efficient that antenna is at radiating that particular frequency. If you have greater return loss ie above -14db to 0db. that is not good and your antenna is effectively bouncing the power the transmitter is generating back at the radio..... not good. You want maximum power transfer radiated out of the antenna. :)

People going out rushing to buy "High Gain" antennas could be screwing themselves if buying cheap ones. If its tuned properly then the controller can transmit efficiently. If its not then range will not increase and could cause solo to act funny or have connection issues.

Cheers, :)

I took the opportunity at work today to use our sweep gear and tested the 2 antennas that came with SOLO. They actually sweep pretty good. Here is a screen shot for the data. For the people that know what Return Loss is in an antenna/coax system. For those that don't: The lower the number the better. -14.00dB would be considered borderline fail in the RF world. Both of these antennas pass at both WiFi Channels 6 and 11. Which is what I think SOLO uses.

It would not be wise to change the WiFi channels in solo to "Improve" your range. The higher the channel the better performance you will get, but you still need the separation between the two channels. Changing channels would only improve your resistance to other WiFi interference. Just a little tip there.

Marker Description:
M1: WiFi Channel 6 : -14.98dB
M2: WiFi Channel 11: -19.92dB

M3: Best value of the antenna, around Channel 13 (Not available in North America) :-26.63dB
View attachment 504
Ahhhh I was wondering why they chose 6 and 11.... Makes perfect sense now. I wonder if this would change using DBMODS or FPVLR antennas? I have definately seen an improvement with the FPVLR (haven't tried the DBMODS) but would love to see the stats...

Last edited:
I have never used them. I have seen them online and such. I would love to sweep them and see exactly what they are like!? Maybe I will buy a set one day. Unless someone out there wants to mail one to me. I can sweep it, and mail it back? LoL probably not going to happen though! :)

I have never used them. I have seen them online and such. I would love to sweep them and see exactly what they are like!? Maybe I will buy a set one day. Unless someone out there wants to mail one to me. I can sweep it, and mail it back? LoL probably not going to happen though! :)
Dang, I would have done it two weeks ago. I have an FPVLR and was grounded. Now I have two birds and want to be practiced up by the time the gimbal arrives, so all I need to get used to is that. I have some projects in Sept that I think I will flip to Solo.

Last edited:
Reactions: CanadianSolo
uh, Mr. Canadian. Also not to be rude but sounds like you aren't familiar with rm. If you were you would probably know what a great contributor he has been and what he has experienced. So, I know I speak for most of us, probably all of us that have been here from the beginning that he is most welcome here any time he pleases. Thanks for your understanding.

To bad your an ex solo owner rrmccabe... Question not to be rude but why are you in the solo forum then?

I wont be around long, so no worries.

Anywho... its not power I was measuring thats important, its the ability of frequency matching,

I never said you were measuring power. I have an extra class amateur radio license so I am aware what you are talking about. My point is 3db gain would be the same as doubling your power.

Reactions: CanadianSolo
in my oipinion 3dr should add this features once the environment too much interference the remote and drone will change channel before to take off in short so called channel scanner/survey.

Reactions: Harrel
rrmccabe: "I wont be around long, so no worries."

.....Please don't go I enjoy your comments...I'm still hoping that 3DR will straighten all of this out and your reviews and insight are very helpful

Thanks!

uh, Mr. Canadian. Also not to be rude but sounds like you aren't familiar with rm. If you were you would probably know what a great contributor he has been and what he has experienced. So, I know I speak for most of us, probably all of us that have been here from the beginning that he is most welcome here any time he pleases. Thanks for your understanding.

Nope dont know him, as you can tell from my join date. I see he has a lot of posts, therefore I can only conclude that he has provided a lot of information. Lets keep this thread to the topic at hand please.

Cheers!

Is this chart showing reflective power? So there is less reflective power at M3, than M1 or M2?

I wont be around long, so no worries.

I never said you were measuring power. I have an extra class amateur radio license so I am aware what you are talking about. My point is 3db gain would be the same as doubling your power.

Rich, if you leave, we will gather pitchforks and lanterns and hunt you down.

Let that be a warning.

:mad:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ihatethatihavetomakeanacc