3DR Company Status

Hi, Would it be a bad decision to purchase a solo today based on the current standing of 3DR and availability of other products?
I am hoping to make a purchase and don't want to make an ill fated decision.
Thank you all for your input.

I do not believe this would not be a bad decision. The Solo is still the most robust, capable UAV in its class. It's true that parts, etc will become harder to find, and it's true the company is end-of-lifing itself. That doesn't make the drone any less valuable. GoPro has also launched the GoPro 5, and that model won't work with the Solo, but the GoPro 4 is just fine for most any use (and will cost you less these days).
At 379$ for all but the GoPro, you're getting a steal. I personally own 5 Solo's now, having recently added two more to my fleet of UAV.

Reactions: Jubalr
Hi, Would it be a bad decision to purchase a solo today based on the current standing of 3DR and availability of other products?
I am hoping to make a purchase and don't want to make an ill fated decision.
Thank you all for your input.
It depends what you want to do with the Solo and your experience with drone in general.
Drone is approaching consumer goods in term of costs. Many treat drone purchase as disposable goods.

If you need an out of the box AP drone, I think Solo @499 is an excellent buy. Use it until it break then look for a replacement.

If you intend to use it for business, then you better have a plan B. Some options are 1. Purchase few more Solo as backup and for spare parts.
2. Known your Solo well and know how to repair it with 3rd party parts.
3. Have other drone that can do the same functions.
4. Don't buy Solo until you see Solo has continuation path.

Solo's are $379.00 at Best Buy (the company chosen to disburse remaining inventory) with extra battery, props, gimbal.
There is no "continuation path" for Solo. It is EOL (End of Life'd) by 3DR. This is well-known.
Drone isn't "approaching" consumer good costs, it *is* a consumer good by any estimation (in the Solo category).
I have five in anticipation of needing parts; because 3DR kept repairs almost entirely in-house, parts from hobby shops or UAV stores are virtually non-existent. If one is planning on building a business around a Solo-only, it is a misstep, IMO. Batteries and motors have limited lifespans.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Minh44