107 ...who has signed up for test?

In the same boat as Doug and Jubalr, passed my online 107 course as a current pilot, now waiting for IACRA to update their site to accommodate sUAS certs so I can process my add on.

Once you pass your test as mentioned by Jubalr a CFI can process your cert however he or she will not be able to give you a temporary cert. If you need a temporary cert right away go through a local or nearest FSDO, DPE or ACR to you. And if you want more acronyms go to... j/k

I have an appt at noon tomorrow to meet with a DPE for sign off on the 8710-13 form. That should be it for me then. It may not be valid until the 29th, but I still have the 333 as well.

Got my 107 Temp Certificate today. Not valid until the 29th, but still have my 333 until then. Should finally be done now..
uc

I took the online class at faasafety.gov and am now looking to take the test here locally. What specifically are you all using as study guides and study material? The sUAS portion of the online exam was fairly easy, the stuff from the pilot handbook was near impossible, especially the map portion.
I took the test on Monday, passed (Thank God), and just completed the IACRA application. They are not kidding when they tell you that it takes 24-48 hours for the test result to be available on IACRA.

The online class at faasafety.gov is trivial compared to the test scope. Basically I felt that the test had questions from the sport pilot test conformed to UA use, in the topics Weather, Weather Forecasts (METAR, TAR, etc), Sectional Map reading, PLUS the stuff from the online course. The map stuff was the hardest. I took an online ground school, and while it was not detailed enough in some areas, I believe that is the only reason I passed. Considering that it costs $150 each time you take the test, (plus stress and headaches) the cost of a course was money well spent (IMHO). UAV Coach | Online Drone Training

A low cost alternative is to get the Sporty's Study Buddy, and review the topics that the FAA says are on the test which overlap the sport pilot test.

You MUST study the testing supplement FAA-CT-8080-2G before the test. Figure 2 (the load factor chart), all the weather figures, and all the Sectional map figures are fair game. You are given a copy of 8080-2G to use during the test.

If you don't take a course can you pass? Sure. Would I take the exam without a course? Nope. I took a course and scored an 85. But your results may differ.

The FAA has a bank of questions, so the questions I got may not show up on the test you take, but here are some I remember:
What is the standard air temperature and pressure at sea level?
How many days after you move must you change your address on your FAA certificate?
What should you expect if you see "lenticular" clouds over a mountain?
What should you expect if you see “nimbus” clouds on a weather forecast?

LOTS of weather questions. We don't have weather in California, so this was a surprise.
What is the rudder on an airplane used for?
Two questions using the Load factor chart, Fig. 2
Two questions about what to expect if you see a waypoint flag on a chart
LOTS of questions about the difference between UNICOM, CTAF and ATIS, and how to determine which is which at an airport from a chart.
LOTS of questions such as “you have been asked to inspect a tower; what class airspace is it in?"
LOTS of METAR and TAR decoding, such as "after 0600Z what should you expect at Memphis Airport?"
Several questions required reading shelf and ceiling of airspace classes from a chart.
Several questions required reading tower heights from a chart.
LOTS of questions which required knowing the difference between MSL and AGL from the chart.
How far guy wires typically extend from a tower.
What is the difference between hyperventilation and hypoventilation
Several multi-layered questions in which you had to find the airport on the map, then you had to find the obstruction (. . . 6NM southwest . . .), then you had to figure out what class airspace it was in. Several chart questions were of the type “You have been asked to survey a tower x miles southwest of the XYZ Airport. If you fly to the top of the tower will you have to contact ATC?”

Tips:
1. Bring a magnifying glass
2. They had calculators, or you can bring you own if it is basic (no text memory). There is one on the program which works well and converts ºC to ºF and latitude/longitude minutes to decimal. (e.g., 30º 30’ to 30.5º) (you are likely to need to do both)
3. They give you scratch paper, two pencils, and a crosshair on a sheet of plastic (good for finding airport coordinates or locate airports from coordinates such as “what airport is approximately at . . .”).
4. Go to the bathroom before the test.
5. Bring a water bottle.
6. Two hours is plenty of time; many questions you will answer in a few seconds.
7. Take the practice tests.
8. Use the Tag function to mark questions you are not sure about, and the View function to scan a list showing Answered, Unanswered, and Tagged questions. You can go directly to the question from the View list. BUT, be careful changing answers because your first guess may have been right.
9. You get a 17 page introduction which is untimed to play with the functions, calculator, page navigation, etc. Use the time to relax and get used to the program.
10. If your testing center is near an airport consider taking some earplugs.
11. Don’t leave any question unanswered. If you can eliminate one distractor you have a 50/50 chance. If you can eliminate two distractors what remains has to be correct.
12. Read the prompts closely.

Note: You can fly 400' above a tower you are inspecting, but if that takes you into controlled airspace you still need prior approval from ATC.

GOOD LUCK!

Last edited:
I completed the remotepilot101.com test prep course and feel a bit more confident on the map portion. I appreciate your run down Bob! I'll need to go back and bone up on tower heights, atis, and cloud types and what to expect from each. We have plenty of weather in FL so stable vs unstable weather and cloud types (nimbus = rain) fog conditions (sea breeze) etc are all visable daily!

Thanks again for the run down. Very helpful.

Took the test on Saturday morning and passed. I studied two to three hours a day for two weeks. Word to the wise is know your sectional maps. I only had two questions on METAR and two on weather. The bulk was on reading sectional maps and general knowledge questions. My company paid for online training and I will be reimbursed for the test now that I passed. I work for a construction management firm that wants to begin offering aerial photograph/inspection services. I am the second within my company to pass. Four employees of the firms 298 were offered the opportunity. Being I have been flying recreationally for years now made me a logical choice. Now I am waiting for my test to post to the IACRA website so I can complete the application process.

Reactions: bluesgeek
Good luck for those taking the test! Bob definitely nailed a lot of good pointers.

My CFI signed off my IACRA this morning since I just completed my flight review a few weeks ago which was good timing. To my surprise when I logged back in IACRA this afternoon it was showing my form status as complete and I was able to print my temporary certificate!

Yeah im gonna be using alot of sectional maps whenever i go get some aerials with my drone...said no one, ever

Maybe we should start using them? The questions described above do seem mildly relevant. I am not approaching this from a standpoint of passing the test only. I think there's a good opportunity for education with it too. I'm learning some things I've never thought about before, and I've been flying almost daily for ten years.

I'm probably gonna take thus course
Remote Pilot 101 |

I took this course and passed however I also studied from the FAA study guide, FAA pilot handbook as well as the FlightReady iOS app. The remotepilot101 helped bring structure to the self study and Jason's presentation is enjoyable breaking the monotony of dry information overload. However given the large body of knowledge the test draws from and the randomness of the draw... I am glad to also have used the other sources especially when topics of wind shear, guide wires on towers, cloud types, weather fronts, micro bursts, air density and load factors all appeared on my test.

I just meet Jason at Interdrone this afternoon. Really nice guy and I thanked him for his program. I definitely would recommend it as it is helpful and a good value compared to others considering it is a lifetime subscription. I would also highly recommend using the FlightREADY app as it randomly draws from 400+ test questions..cheap $20 practice and I would venture at least 12 or so questions on my test I was previously exposed to on the app word for word.

PS - You are given a testing supplement book when you take the test which contains all the reference materials/charts etc. This supplement also contains chart legends and other very useful info. A good number of answers to questions are in this supplement if you know how to use it!
DOWNLOAD it and make it your friend!!
https://www.faa.gov/training_testing/testing/test_questions/media/sport_rec_private_akts.pdf

Happy Studies!

Last edited:
After being put off (tests cancelled due to a lack of proctor) four times by CT flight schools, I was finally able to get a seat yesterday at the Westchester NY airport. Passed with an 85.

(I think I had the same test as Robert Rose... tons of TAF, one METAR, lots of charts and airspace, a fair amount of weather theory, and a smattering of regs and ops questions. Funnily, no lat/long and nothing really that required the calculator.)

I'll say this, nothing in the relevant chapters of PHAK is off-limits, and I was asked a few questions that I would consider vaguely obscure and having only peripheral value, when more pertinent technical questions would have been more effective in testing practical knowlege... and ironically, easier to answer.

My proctor told me I couldn't bring in my reading glasses... he was kidding. I said, good, because I have secret cameras mounted in them.

Others have cautioned, and I'll reiterate—to think about the questions. Many are written in a way to misdirect us. For most of the ones I missed, I knew the correct answer but came to the wrong conclusion. Perhaps a better way to say this is, after arriving at your answer, read the question again carefully to make sure that your answer satisfies every aspect of the question. One trick is to refer you to a specific figure from the test supplement for an answer that would apply generally to operations regardless of the figure reference.

My prep consisted entirely of a single read of the Sarah Nilsson material. It is a long nine pages web pages with a good number of embedded videos, and took over two weeks of reading a few hours a day to get through all of the material once. As I looked back after that read, I had a good level of confidence that I was ready to test. She includes all of the relevant text from the FAA support documents, so I rarely had to look at PHAK or other FAA publications directly. My thanks to her for creating such a good free self-contained one-stop resource.

Here are the only publications (all referenced and linked to by Sarah Nilsson) that I kept open to review and deepen my knowledge:

Airman Knowledge Testing Supplement [this is the same reference book that you are provided to use during the test]
Remote Pilot Small Unmanned Systems Study Guide (FAA-G-8082-22) [occasional reference]
Air Force Pamphlet 11-238 1 November 2005 Flying Operations – Aircrew Quick Reference to the METAR and TAF Codes [the only one I read completely]
FAA Aeronautical Chart User Guide [occasional reference]

Last edited:
Yeah im gonna be using alot of sectional maps whenever i go get some aerials with my drone...said no one, ever

That is pretty funny. Ironically, I'm very glad I learned airspace, charts, and weather. Now that I have the knowledge, I think it will be the easiest way to plan a flight, especially in an unfamiliar area. I feel empowered, and I really see the wisdom of the government, industry, and user coming together to create this pilot culture.

Many of the test questions were of scenarios where you are doing a commerical job close to an airport, where you would need to know very specifically how to maintain separation from manned aircraft.

Anecdotally, I was talking with the chief instructor at the flight school where I took the test. He said that he thought the test was not difficult enough, and that hobby fliers should be required to take it too. He related that he has had four encounters with copters—one that required him to take evasive maneuvers to avoid impact. He was critical of the casual attitude he finds in the drone community, and very blunt in saying that if we fly into a plane, they die, and if we were risking our own lives, we would have a completely different attitude toward formal certification.

Lastly, I'll mention that there was one question that was worded incorrectly, in such a way that it seemed to ask for information from a sectional chart (which it was referring to) that is not found in such a document (current weather). I finally figured that the only way the reference to a sectional chart would work would be if I added a word to the question, so I ended up getting that one right. But it should get corrected and I'm going to try to report it.
This! I got this question as well. Not sure I got it correct but it asks for weather details from a sectional (which only lists AWOS info). Glad to see others ran into this as well (and I'm not crazy).

I agree with your assessment of remotepilot101.com. A good foundational approach but you do need to study supplementally.

To those thinking you will never need to read a sectional in real word applications I call BS. To those who do not read a sectional before a job, they cover that type of behavior in the study material ;-)

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alan r pfennig