107 FAA

Reaction score
So I started going through the online course to obtain the 107 and it starts by saying you need a pilot certificate with flight review, or pass a knowledge test at a local FAA facility.

But searching fore what is on that test or how you take it does not seem to be there
anyone taken this without the flight review figure out how to satisfy that requirement?

Reactions: Dave Folts
yeah that keeps linking to some drone school that I am sure are trying to separate you from some cash

I just want the resources for the test, I can school myself.
It appears the general knowledge test part is not ready yet.

Guess I will plug through the two hour course and get that behind me

Reactions: Benzo
yeah that keeps linking to some drone school that I am sure are trying to separate you from some cash

I never meant to say you should take their class, just that it had a pretty good list of what needed to be done.

To what two hour course are you referring?

Reactions: Benzo
To take the online test you have to already hold a pilot's certificate (I believe balloon or greater). When you create a log in on the test site, it will match your existing pilot's lic to your personal information and then allow you to take the test. If you don't have a license, you will have to take it at an FAA center. You will have to be well versed on reading sectional charts, as that is part of the test. When I took the test I missed 2 questions and got a 94, but I was required to go back and correct the wrong answers because it would not let me continue until it was 100%. It then emailed the certs to me within a few minutes.

what test were you able to take? I have heard the test is not available yet
To be able to take the test, you have to have an existing certificate. You then log in at faasafety.gov for available courses and tests.

It's not a test per-se that you take if you are currently a pilot. The FAA is calling it online training, but there is a test at the end of that online training that you repeat until you get all the questions correct. I did mine last week, and now I just need to wait for the FAA to enable the forms for existing pilots.

For non-current pilots, you'll have to take the exam at an FAA facility. The "test" in the online training is effectively open book, but FAA exams typically require you to go into a room without your phone, notes, or anything. Non-pilots can do the same online training that pilots can take, and that will give you a start of what you need to know. For the test, I imagine you'll also need to know how to read sectional charts and how to find and interpret aviation weather information. Those are two areas that weren't covered in the training, and I think both of those areas will be on the FAA test for non-pilots.

Reactions: XperienceVisuals
I had originally thought they would not have the tests ready for the effective date of August 29 since the FAA doesn't do anything quickly. However, it looks like they'll be ready on or about that date.

So I started going through the online course to obtain the 107 and it starts by saying you need a pilot certificate with flight review, or pass a knowledge test at a local FAA facility.

But searching fore what is on that test or how you take it does not seem to be there
anyone taken this without the flight review figure out how to satisfy that requirement?

Pyrate: I've heard of only a couple flight schools claiming to start on 1) setting-up a Part 107 program, and 2) get into the PROCESS of getting their programs FAA certified. And that is the issue....who is going to invest in that process with what prospect of recouping the investment by running students through it?

going to hold off on mine for a while, I do not really shoot commercial. But it is interesting and the option to do so would be nice

I had originally thought they would not have the tests ready for the effective date of August 29 since the FAA doesn't do anything quickly. However, it looks like they'll be ready on or about that date.
I called my local test center, and they said the test would be available on the 29th

I just want the resources for the test, I can school myself.
It appears the general knowledge test part is not ready yet.

I am going to be posting copies of what you need to study on my website, and posting the links here. Starting with Part 107 itself, I took the regulation from the Federal Register and created an easier to read version. You are welcome to get it at no cost from my blog:

http://www.rosepatents.com/dog--a-drone-blog/part-107.html

NOTE: There is considerable other material you have to study for the test; in particular weather from AC 00-6A and several other FAA materials.

Reactions: Jbmanning5
guys...you might want to use the Jeppeson "Guided Flight Discovery" books for the 107 course. I just passed my Private Pilot written exam per Part 141 after going through that course. It looks to me like the airspace and airports material will be part of the 107 test and some safety material as well as (uav) airman quals. It will be rigorous...and the regs are not written in a manner you can use as instructional material....so look for that Jeppeson course on-line... Also...sportys pilot shop is another place where you can find an on- line ground course.

The FAA has been open about what you need. They have a breakdown of topics to be covered (attached), and the UAS Airman Certification Standards--Draft (attached) is clear, but over inclusive. There will be only 60 questions on any given test, so everything won't be covered, but your 60 questions may be different than my 60 questions. There is a sample exam with 40 questions, and an Advisory Circular specific to Part 107. (both attached) BTW, congratulations on passing the pilot's exam.
Screen Shot 2016-07-24 at 6.45.07 PM.png

Attachments

• uas_acs-Airman Certification Standards.pdf
    1.2 MB · Views: 5
  • uag_sample_exam-20160705.pdf
    172.3 KB · Views: 7
  • AC_107-2.pdf
    403.7 KB · Views: 6
The FAA has been open about what you need. They have a breakdown of topics to be covered (attached), and the UAS Airman Certification Standards--Draft (attached) is clear, but over inclusive. There will be only 60 questions on any given test, so everything won't be covered, but your 60 questions may be different than my 60 questions. There is a sample exam with 40 questions, and an Advisory Circular specific to Part 107. (both attached) BTW, congratulations on passing the pilot's exam.
View attachment 3898

Thanks for helping us find the resources, Robert.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
apicasso