“Flyaway” prevention.

Yea but that's a lot of aviation that frankly isn't going on most of the time with a Solo. My last problem was a straight line shot, at about 5 mph when it "corrected its position" by a few feet vertical. Also comparing a fully in control airplane pilot to a maybe 50% in control drone pilot is a non starter for me. I'll take the blame for not leaving myself more room above the power lines or paying more attention to the video feed than the actual craft. Oh and my unit suffered a momentary loss of power according to 3DR. The voltage suddenly dropped and recovered in a second but not fast enough unfortunately.

As I stated before, I had an actual fly away, verified by 3dr and a controller lock, also verified by 3dr. It's easy to blame the pilot, GM tried that when their ignitions were failing. It didn't work for them and it won't work here either. There are inherent problems with this platform. The GPS module and weak radios being two of them. Luckily, both of those problems are relatively easy to repair. It always strikes me as funny that the same guys that jump up every time any one says anything negative about the Solo have the most modifications on their own units.
Sorry, thought I'd made the relevance clear....I'm not sure how piloting a UAS means you're in control 50% of the time....you set up the flight regardless of the mode (including a RTL), you choose the takeoff, surroundings and environmental conditions. Pilot is 100% responsible for operating their UAS 100% of the time.

Different people have different perspectives I guess. ..

Sorry, thought I'd made the relevance clear....I'm not sure how piloting a UAS means you're in control 50% of the time....you set up the flight regardless of the mode (including a RTL), you choose the takeoff, surroundings and environmental conditions. Pilot is 100% responsible for operating their UAS 100% of the time.

I agree 99%. I don't believe it's perspective. It's fact.

High KP does not mean you are going to have problems. However, it is a good thing to monitor as a pilot of a sUAS. Part of situational awareness even though you can't see it.

Reactions: DJMc

Oh I'm not talking "responsibility" I'm talking control. The AI does most of the actual flying in my opinion. A lot of guys talk about flying "manually" but it's not true manual flying. I've flown honest manual drones/helicopters where you have to control x, y, and z using throttle inputs. It doesn't just hover when you let go of the controls, it hits the ground! Hahaha! I'm sorry if I wasn't clear. Unless you know something I don't, it's my belief that the Solo, along with most other modern drones, maintain their altitude regardless of flight mode. So when the craft maintains its x, y and z autonomously, without any input from the "pilot", I have a hard time considering that complete control of the craft. Then when you throw in site scan or tower and the thing just goes wherever you touch on a screen... Yea, not my idea of complete control or "piloting".

Oh I'm not talking "responsibility" I'm talking control. The AI does most of the actual flying in my opinion. A lot of guys talk about flying "manually" but it's not true manual flying. I've flown honest manual drones/helicopters where you have to control x, y, and z using throttle inputs. It doesn't just hover when you let go of the controls, it hits the ground! Hahaha! I'm sorry if I wasn't clear. Unless you know something I don't, it's my belief that the Solo, along with most other modern drones, maintain their altitude regardless of flight mode. So when the craft maintains its x, y and z autonomously, without any input from the "pilot", I have a hard time considering that complete control of the craft. Then when you throw in site scan or tower and the thing just goes wherever you touch on a screen... Yea, not my idea of complete control or "piloting".
A Quad would not fly without some type of Flight controller assistance. Have you flown in ACRO?

A Quad would not fly without some type of Flight controller assistance. Have you flown in ACRO?

This was a long time ago. A friend of mine was way into helicopters and had an early multirotor unit he had made from a plan he got somewhere. This guy also had a home made hover craft! The controls were similar to helicopter controls as I remember it. I played with it for all of 2 minutes and handed the control back to him!

I have not flown the Solo in ACRO mode. I stand corrected! I was wrong. To be honest, I had completely forgotten about ACRO mode as I would never use it. So my friend's unit only flew in "ACRO" mode and yep, no thanks! I have a small drone that is basically an ACRO unit and it's enough of a handful, I couldn't imagine how much more of a pain it must be to handle a Solo! Kudos to you, sir!

No Kudos necessary. But Thanks. There is a reason why Multi Rotors started appearing after the Nintendo Wii came out. Its all about the sensors.

No Kudos necessary. But Thanks. There is a reason why Multi Rotors started appearing after the Nintendo Wii came out. Its all about the sensors.

I never considered it in that way. It just goes to show that you can always learn something!

You know, I literally just purchased a "refurbished" unit from Best Buy for $66, so I might just go ahead and see if I can learn to fly it in ACRO mode. I'll just forgo putting a gimbal/camera on it!

Heck, I have several sets of props, legs, and even a couple motors. Nothing ventured, nothing gained.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pvt solo