Will an external display save me that much time?

Reaction score
Website
www.nimbusvids.com
Currently I only use my iPhone 6+ to view my GPH4 while in flight.

Clearly the live feed I'm getting is very low res and even the GoPro playback option is a Low Res Version of the final product.

Big Idea:
My question is, would an external display connected to the controller provide a high(er) res feed than my current iPhone?

Small minor details:
I'm still playing with GP settings, filters and even LUTs in post. I love the experimental process, this is why we do what we do! But what I've been doing is after trying out a lense or a GP setting, I'll take the GP out, turn on wifi and download to my iPad hi-res versions of what I just shot. (Although I can't seem to download 4K to my iPad Air 2 using the GP Wifi, that needs to be downloaded from the SD Card)

That process can take some significant time, loading and unloading. I just wonder if I would save a ton of time or not by getting an external display for my controller.

The feed from the Solo to the ground is not going to be any better regardless of what type of monitor you use. And that feed is not intended to for production. That's what the video on the card is for.

Reactions: Nimbus Ninja
I figured, so that whole process of experimenting, unloading and loading is just a long and arduous one and I just need to be okay with that.
If your question is, can the live video stream be high enough quality, and reliable enough, for production use so I don't need to take the SD card out of the GoPo later, the answer is most definitely no.

(Although I can't seem to download 4K to my iPad Air 2 using the GP Wifi, that needs to be downloaded from the SD Card)

That process can take some significant time, loading and unloading.

Ninja,
If possible get the new laptop with USB3.0 and if no built-in card reader, get one USB3.0 capable card reader.
Ipad Air 2 is USB2.0 speed only and can not do USB3.0 like iPad Pro thru its thurnderbolt with SPECIAL card reader.

However the same money of US$1,300 for iPad Pro 256GB, you can get laptop today with 4K native resolution, i7 4-core CPU, 15inch screen , more function than iPad if it involves massive data handling of a GoPro camera. Add abit of money and do your own swap of 1 TB SDD as either secondary drive or if only single drive possible use 1 TB SSD as C: 250GB and D: drive as 750GB.

USB2.0 is way too slow for GP big file. You can have lunch and come back and USB2.0 still not able to transfer a mere 50GB in good time.

I still keep my oldie 2013 Lenovo laptop workstation W530 for GP use if I am travelling ( diving or droning weekend ) it is still high end CPU the i7-3840QM even for today's standard and it has Nvidia Quadro GPU.
I use this to review footage on site, mainly. USB3.0 ports and has Display Port. 4K ready video card wise and connection wise, 10bit color too and not 8 bit and built in color calibrator useful for underwater footage. Was expensive though back then, but today you can get something like this for what iPad Pro 256GB will cost you.

If you are serious into video footage, this kind of Laptop can do video render/edit for you and connect itself to a 4K display. So you don't waste money for it being just a "mobile laptop". However I don't do render on my W530 unless its emergency. I like desktop and minimum 6 core cpu if not 8 core i7, 4 core too slow if home use.

Happy shopping.

Reactions: nexxypoo
Ninja,
If possible get the new laptop with USB3.0 and if no built-in card reader, get one USB3.0 capable card reader.
Ipad Air 2 is USB2.0 speed only and can not do USB3.0 like iPad Pro thru its thurnderbolt with SPECIAL card reader.

However the same money of US$1,300 for iPad Pro 256GB, you can get laptop today with 4K native resolution, i7 4-core CPU, 15inch screen , more function than iPad if it involves massive data handling of a GoPro camera. Add abit of money and do your own swap of 1 TB SDD as either secondary drive or if only single drive possible use 1 TB SSD as C: 250GB and D: drive as 750GB.

USB2.0 is way too slow for GP big file. You can have lunch and come back and USB2.0 still not able to transfer a mere 50GB in good time.

I still keep my oldie 2013 Lenovo laptop workstation W530 for GP use if I am travelling ( diving or droning weekend ) it is still high end CPU the i7-3840QM even for today's standard and it has Nvidia Quadro GPU.
I use this to review footage on site, mainly. USB3.0 ports and has Display Port. 4K ready video card wise and connection wise, 10bit color too and not 8 bit and built in color calibrator useful for underwater footage. Was expensive though back then, but today you can get something like this for what iPad Pro 256GB will cost you.

If you are serious into video footage, this kind of Laptop can do video render/edit for you and connect itself to a 4K display. So you don't waste money for it being just a "mobile laptop". However I don't do render on my W530 unless its emergency. I like desktop and minimum 6 core cpu if not 8 core i7, 4 core too slow if home use.

Happy shopping.
Yeah, what he said. Anything but the Mac/iPhone scam

3DR is moving towards Apple
in spite of what they are spinning there is no real evidence that Android development is moving forward
Maybe in Tower, but not Solo App

Clearly the live feed I'm getting is very low res and even the GoPro playback option is a Low Res Version of the final product.

Big Idea:
My question is, would an external display connected to the controller provide a high(er) res feed than my current iPhone?

Small minor details:
I'm still playing with GP settings, filters and even LUTs in post. I love the experimental process, this is why we do what we do! But what I've been doing is after trying out a lense or a GP setting, I'll take the GP out, turn on wifi and download to my iPad hi-res versions of what I just shot. (Although I can't seem to download 4K to my iPad Air 2 using the GP Wifi, that needs to be downloaded from the SD Card)

That process can take some significant time, loading and unloading. I just wonder if I would save a ton of time or not by getting an external display for my controller.
Are you using your iPad to do your photo editing?

Big Idea:

Small minor details:

I'll try and answer. The bottom line is no, we can't record a decent HDMI FEED from the controller. My assumption is it's there to hand a second monitor to a friend or client to view what you are doing at the same time.

To save time and confirm I got what I wanted in the field, I bring my laptop. It's a gaming class machine and the specs are top notch. I'll often load a card onto the laptop. View it, and then I'll even pass it through GoPro Studio. All the while, I'm back in the air, getting the next set of shots.

As you have discovered, you can't open 4K GoPro files on a laptop. I believe you can open a 1080p or 720p file. The only way I've found is to use the GoPro app and stream from the GoPro. The iPad Pro is a powerful machine, but Apple needs to make some changes to the 0S to allow us to run real software. Perhaps tomorrow Apple will announce some changes to the various OS's to make this happen.

If you are not 100% committed to Apple, the Surface would give you all that you currently desire. A 12 inch tablet that can run a series of professional programs like Photoshop, Premiere and GoPro Studio. Just an alternative

Sorry to disappoint, but I hope this helps.

I'll try and answer. The bottom line is no, we can't record a decent HDMI FEED from the controller. My assumption is it's there to hand a second monitor to a friend or client to view what you are doing at the same time.

To save time and confirm I got what I wanted in the field, I bring my laptop. It's a gaming class machine and the specs are top notch. I'll often load a card onto the laptop. View it, and then I'll even pass it through GoPro Studio. All the while, I'm back in the air, getting the next set of shots.

As you have discovered, you can't open 4K GoPro files on a laptop. I believe you can open a 1080p or 720p file. The only way I've found is to use the GoPro app and stream from the GoPro. The iPad Pro is a powerful machine, but Apple needs to make some changes to the 0S to allow us to run real software. Perhaps tomorrow Apple will announce some changes to the various OS's to make this happen.

If you are not 100% committed to Apple, the Surface would give you all that you currently desire. A 12 inch tablet that can run a series of professional programs like Photoshop, Premiere and GoPro Studio. Just an alternative

Hey thanks for the feedback! The surface may be the way to go.

The iPad Pro is a powerful machine, but Apple needs to make some changes to the 0S to allow us to run real software. Perhaps tomorrow Apple will announce some changes to the various OS's to make this happen.
That won't be happening anytime soon. The processors just aren't powerful enough to run a full blown OS, let alone real applications. It also doesn't fit their business model of selling you a tablet AND a laptop lol (and then the same app version for both). If their tablets did both, they wouldn't sell as many laptops. The only thing in a "tablet" form factor that would handle it is a probably a Surface Pro or similar since they are full blown PCs and not using a smaller, scaled back mobile processor.

That's exactly what the controller HDMI feed is used for. Some folks even bring along a large screen "whatever" and mount it on a tripod so the can get a good look at what they are filming.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mr M