Who here is going to bail??

@AmosMoses - to your initial question of bailing... BB website shows one in stock about 20 minutes from home... my butt is gettin a little sore from fence sitting... but I'll hang on a little longer casue I haven't gotten to the bottom of the popcorn bag yet.

Reactions: AmosMoses
It appears some of you are learning the FB group is a fanboy club. I don't like Facebook for the most part but initially that is where the bulk of the info was about the Solo. I unjoined after a week as it was obvious what their agenda was.

3DR shows up as its moderated to their favor. I will just stay here (if I ever get a Solo) and do my part to grow the site. The owners are pretty good about letting it roll until it gets hateful. Nice to be part of an unbiased community.

It appears some of you are learning the FB group is a fanboy club. I don't like Facebook for the most part but initially that is where the bulk of the info was about the Solo. I unjoined after a week as it was obvious what their agenda was.

3DR shows up as its moderated to their favor. I will just stay here (if I ever get a Solo) and do my part to grow the site. The owners are pretty good about letting it roll until it gets hateful. Nice to be part of an unbiased community.

+1 .. I couldn't have said it better. So far a good group and community here. Not a FB user and have made 1 post my whole life and that was to congratulate my son. RCG always reminded me of the Jerry Springer show. Looking forward to helping and growing this community.

Safe Flying..

Reactions: GoodnNuff
RCG and Jerry Springer show is a good analogy ! Except no girls getting their shirt ripped off.

On a bright note.... I think.

3Drobotics never called me back with shipping info. My order status on their site shows back-ordered however my UPS app on my phone shows I have two packages from China scheduled for delivery Monday

Safe to say I won't be getting a Solo either. But I think I already made that decision when I ordered my P3P back in April and have been enjoying the hell out of it ever since.

I wanted to the Solo to succeed, mostly for the reason that it's an American company. And yeah, competition is good.

When I first heard about the Solo it seriously put the brakes on my plans to get a P3. But then I thought about who I am and how I work. I use and love Apple products. I actually like walled gardens. Stuff just works (well, most of the time). I feel like the Phantom line is like a Mac, or iPad, or iPhone. The Solo seems more like Windows or Android to me. I think the Solo could have potentially been a better product if they didn't have to rely on GoPro and I believe that the Solo could have shipped on time with a functioning gimbal if everything was developed in-house.

Solo seems like a great platform for people who like to tinker, customize, etc. But I'm at a time in my life where every free moment is hard to come by. I don't want to tinker, I just want it to work right out of the box as easily and as quickly as possible. And that was the reason I went with the P3P. I was fine not having software features like orbit and selfie right out of the box.

I think it was insane to launch the Solo without the gimbal. People would have been really upset about a delay, but I think launching a partial product is even worse and cripples any potential wow factor -- it only make the product look like a toy.

I won't say "3DR sucks" or "Solo sucks". I do hope 3DR turns things around. Choice is good.

Thinking about the new GoPro drone in 2016... They have the resources to design a good drone...

I think the Solo could have potentially been a better product if they didn't have to rely on GoPro and I believe that the Solo could have shipped on time with a functioning gimbal if everything was developed in-house.

I agree with most everything you said. Well not the love for Apple :)

But really the above is not accurate if you think about it. Relying on the GoPro is just the start.3DR has modular gimbal bay and an accessory port. They have said and I would expect that this thing will fly many cameras besides all the new models of Go-pro coming out. That is what will in the end make it a better product.

Companies like Black Magic have to be paying attention as they now have a $999 platform to put their camera on.

Maybe you were just talking about the delay part.

I have said this before. DJI (along with their camera) fits my needs perfectly but you are stuck with what it ships with. Why do you think it would have shipped on time if the camera was in house? I don't think the camera has much to do with the gimbal development. Beyond the connecting port of the camera an the physical weight/balance all the work is in making the gimbal respond. I am betting the actual control of camera function is working fine and has been complete for a while.

Just my WAG anyway ;)

Reactions: Rothgarr
I agree with most everything you said. Well not the love for Apple :)

But really the above is not accurate if you think about it. Relying on the GoPro is just the start.3DR has modular gimbal bay and an accessory port. They have said and I would expect that this thing will fly many cameras besides all the new models of Go-pro coming out. That is what will in the end make it a better product.

Companies like Black Magic have to be paying attention as they now have a $999 platform to put their camera on.

Maybe you were just talking about the delay part.

I have said this before. DJI (along with their camera) fits my needs perfectly but you are stuck with what it ships with. Why do you think it would have shipped on time if the camera was in house? I don't think the camera has much to do with the gimbal development. Beyond the connecting port of the camera an the physical weight/balance all the work is in making the gimbal respond. I am betting the actual control of camera function is working fine and has been complete for a while.

Just my WAG anyway ;)
Yup, I was referring to the delay.

And yes, if the cameras were a simple plug-and-play swap then I agree it would be AWESOME. Hopefully they can make it a simple process because I still would hate to have to tinker to make it work. I have specifically referred to the Black Magic cameras in the past and that would be an ultimate goal for me.

Like I said, I do hope they turn things around but I'm totally out for the first round.

OK makes sense. Yea black magic would make a pretty nice machine. Compete with some of the high dollar professional units out there.

I am sorry to admit, I will be bailing out.
Flying a V2+ I postponed some Real Estate shots in Ecuador I have planned to do with the Solo. I pre-ordered at B&H to be shipped to Florida and I was not one of the chosen ones for drop shipping from China. I am still waiting and just getting vage info from B&H. I believed the hype, the statement "will be in stores in May", internationally available in June.
When the release was for the Solo only and it has been argued, the Solo is the Solo and the gimbal is an accessory to be released later (July), everyone must have had this funny gut feeling that's not okay. But understanding the underdog and cheering for 3RD was still okay, at least for me. I bought a new tablet just for the Solo, as I am living in Ecuador most of the time I even booked a flight to the States for Juli 1st to pick up my Solo I was sure "at time of booking" would have arrived by then surely at my Florida address.
The straw that broke the camel's' back was my ban from the FB site tonight, when I tried to stand by a guy who returned his Solo to BB after been told to do so by 3dr tech support. Okay, he used the words "I am pissed"and asked, (IMHO seriously without undertone) should he rather buy a phantom 3? The 3dr engineer found his post insulting and called the post stupid. I tried to explain the guy might just be disappointment about his solo failure and. Lloks for some reinsurance...

If leading engeneers of 3dr can not be more professional and the whole FB site becomes extreemly defensive and paranoid there is IMHO something brewing and it seems the nerves are getting thinner everyday. I was hoping for Solo's success (I still am) and I was hoping for 3dr to be all what they wanted it to be. At this point I think they are way in over their head and I am loosing faith. Part of me still hopes I am wrong, but that just might be wish full thinking. I am cancelling my order with B&H for the Solo and the gimbal and make room for someone else who is less disenchanted. At least I have still a short trip to Florida to look forward too, although the main reason for the trip is gone. I wish everyone who has their Solo the very best and many exciting flights and may the gimbal reach you anytime soon. The rest, who is waiting, don't follow my lead as my decission is based on my personal experiences and perception and should not influence others.

It has been a pleasure while it lasted.
I watched that interaction. I was shocked that a 3DR engineer would talk to a prospective customer like that. I was shocked that the owner of the forum would tell you to take your wrinkled forehead elsewhere. The FB list is really doing some PR damage to 3DR in my opinion.
I'm one who wants 3DR to succeed,. I really think if the 3DR administration saw how their engineers are treating customers, their employees will be banned from interacting there.
Engineers shouldn't try to involve themselves in PR.

Someone posted yesterday that it appears the (Face Book) group was fast becoming just a fan boy site. The owner responded with "Yes it is, what part of that don't you get?"
Not a group to go to for help.

Hardware changes less than a month after production? such as?

As Is stated, any changes would probably come in the first FEW production runs. It's not uncommon for manufacturers to make changes to design, components or assembly once productions goes into full swing and they begin to exhaust their supply of parts on hand.

I see reports of a ton of lost connections with the aircraft being reported even in open areas. Signal strength in general appears to be a primary concern with the Solo, even when the Solo is within the prescribed range. I would tend to believe those problems are more likely to be hardware issues rather than software issues.

There is the possibility that the problems are software issues perhaps involving conflicts with bloatware found on a lot of tablets and phones (especially Android) these days. Or it could be as simple as loose wiring. We all knew going in that the range of the Solo was limited when compared to the Phantom products, but if the communications hardware is low grade that only exacerbates range issues .

I had a Solo for 2 days. It has some great potential once the bugs are worked out and they are able to move on to new upgrades and enhancements in the software. I think the major issue right now is that 3DR fell to consumer whines and released the product too soon.. Yes there are confirmed bugs in the 1st software release and a new version was released yesterday. They still show about 7 open issues on the software development area in GitHub.

All in all, with the Gimbal still on track to be a mid July release, and the dedication the 3DR support is giving to the flight logs to correct any software issues. I believe the Solo should be ready for a True release sometime early Aug.

btw: The reason I no longer have my Solo is a hardware failure and was told it would be mid July - Aug before I could expect a replacement Solo. So I took a refund and will re evaluate the Solo to see how the issues have been solved. And at that time just go to Best Buy and pick one up locally. The stock shortage should be over by than as well.

Not bailing but decided to go back to the fence for a while.

i just got done flying the p3 and solo side by side, and will post my video soon :)

i would be posting it soon if the video recorded... now i have to go back out again :)

Last edited:
I'd like to follow your reporting on the Phantom 3. You really seem like an honest and stand up guy. I'm out of the Solo loop for now but I need to get another unit and it looks like I'm headed to the Phantom 3 Pro.....against my better judgement lol
yeah rm knows his onions.
please don't leave us.

I had a Solo for 2 days. It has some great potential once the bugs are worked out and they are able to move on to new upgrades and enhancements in the software. I think the major issue right now is that 3DR fell to consumer whines and released the product too soon.. Yes there are confirmed bugs in the 1st software release and a new version was released yesterday. They still show about 7 open issues on the software development area in GitHub.

All in all, with the Gimbal still on track to be a mid July release, and the dedication the 3DR support is giving to the flight logs to correct any software issues. I believe the Solo should be ready for a True release sometime early Aug.

btw: The reason I no longer have my Solo is a hardware failure and was told it would be mid July - Aug before I could expect a replacement Solo. So I took a refund and will re evaluate the Solo to see how the issues have been solved. And at that time just go to Best Buy and pick one up locally. The stock shortage should be over by than as well.

Not bailing but decided to go back to the fence for a while.
Good to hear. Glad you're hanging in there.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Minh44