Who here is going to bail??

Just got word from DSLRPros that a shipment of Solos is clearing customs and should arrive at their door by Monday to get turned around to fulfill existing preorders.....:)
Happy Happy Happy

Sorry, what kind of hardware failure did you have? At least you had an option for a refund...;)

Interesting, "They still show about 7 open issues on the software development area in GitHub." That's really interesting, seems strange that a manufacture would be so open with this type of information. Kind of refreshing!!!!!!!!!!
---
I had a motor pod failure. The motors seem to run warm... much warmer than other quads I have owned. 3DR did look at my logs and and were more than willing to help me out. They said they could have sent me out a motor, but since the unit was only a few days old they would have sent out a brand new Solo, when available. The tech said that could be 2 or 3 weeks. That's when I decided to return for refund since an immediate exchange was not available. I very impatient that way... Plus with the other issues I just decided to wait this one out and see if all the issues get worked out and I really need a gimbal anyway for the quad to be more than just a toy.

The software that is used for the solo is 'Open Source Software'. Anyone can get a copy of the code and design their own mods and APIs. That is why it is important to only get your updates direct from 3DR, to insure your not getting software that has not be verified and blessed by 3DR. They are using open source software so hopefully other talented programmers will create enhancements and software additions that they will blessed and made available for Solo use without voiding the warranty or screwing up what they have already programmed and tested.

Thats outstanding. You are not excited are you? :)
My heads gonna explode!! :eek::D

Also confirmed that mine is in that shipment which tells me it must be quite a few or there were several cancellations due to BB. My order was placed towards the end of May.

Reactions: AmosMoses
Well, now that things are looking up it's time to get the old P2 out and take it around the block.

@Kevin thanks for the followup, sorry you had issues. Considering, I think you made the right choice in sitting out. The story and support by 3DR is confirming their commitment to the user base...

@Kevin thanks for the followup, sorry you had issues. Considering, I think you made the right choice in sitting out. The story and support by 3DR is confirming their commitment to the user base...
---
I'm just an impatient person when it come to new technology. I was an Original Apple pioneer and I guess all the arrows in my back taught me nothing!!!!

If 3DR can work out all the bugs it will become a new standard for Quadcopters. I have a feeling that they shared a lot with GOPRO on the gimbal design, so It wouldn't surprise me the GOPRO Quad didn't have the advanced 'Smart Shot' capability in their quad.

---
I had a motor pod failure. The motors seem to run warm... much warmer than other quads I have owned. 3DR did look at my logs and and were more than willing to help me out. They said they could have sent me out a motor, but since the unit was only a few days old they would have sent out a brand new Solo, when available. The tech said that could be 2 or 3 weeks. That's when I decided to return for refund since an immediate exchange was not available. I very impatient that way... Plus with the other issues I just decided to wait this one out and see if all the issues get worked out and I really need a gimbal anyway for the quad to be more than just a toy.

The software that is used for the solo is 'Open Source Software'. Anyone can get a copy of the code and design their own mods and APIs. That is why it is important to only get your updates direct from 3DR, to insure your not getting software that has not be verified and blessed by 3DR. They are using open source software so hopefully other talented programmers will create enhancements and software additions that they will blessed and made available for Solo use without voiding the warranty or screwing up what they have already programmed and tested.
Sorry to hear that. One thing about it though, at least they didn't ask you to send it back, then make you wait 60 days. Not sure how That guy from Austin, Troy, did it but they FedEx next day his replacement.
And remember, we are pioneers, going where no man has gone before, To The Sky!!!! I know, it's corny.....just trying to lift your spirit a little. Stay on the forum, don't leave us.

Sorry to hear that. One thing about it though, at least they didn't ask you to send it back, then make you wait 60 days. Not sure how That guy from Austin, Troy, did it but they FedEx next day his replacement.
And remember, we are pioneers, going where no man has gone before, To The Sky!!!! I know, it's corny.....just trying to lift your spirit a little. Stay on the forum, don't leave us.

Troy was lucky to have a 3DR development office in Austin, Tx. So he was able to drop it off there for them to look at it. I don't think Troy actually has his new one yet. I know they promised him new set of props as well though. And they did confirm that some of the issues with his crash were actually software/GPS related. Its guys like Troy that help the product advance in its early stages. His not complaining on Forums about the crash, nor is he bashing 3DR for not replacing his on the spot. He wants the product to succeed so he is working close with 3DR on his issue and providing great user input.

Troy was lucky to have a 3DR development office in Austin, Tx. So he was able to drop it off there for them to look at it. I don't think Troy actually has his new one yet. I know they promised him new set of props as well though. And they did confirm that some of the issues with his crash were actually software/GPS related. Its guys like Troy that help the product advance in its early stages. His not complaining on Forums about the crash, nor is he bashing 3DR for not replacing his on the spot. He wants the product to succeed so he is working close with 3DR on his issue and providing great user input.
Check it out...posted yesterday
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Check it out...posted yesterday
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.
----
That's great for him. I had not seen that video yet. Last one I saw was his long one from a few days ago when he said he wasn't sure when he would get it back, and reminded them of their offer for the free props, and Still waiting for them to call him to work for them.... :)

----
That's great for him. I had not seen that video yet. Last one I saw was his long one from a few days ago when he said he wasn't sure when he would get it back, and reminded them of their offer for the free props, and Still waiting for them to call him to work for them.... :)
Right, must be nice. He has gotten a little better at shortening his videos. Speaking of ESCs, I replaced a motor and ESC on my P2 a few weeks ago. I was lucky that it blew on landing as it touched ground. I'm still not real confident with it yet. I really hate soldering....

Right, must be nice. He has gotten a little better at shortening his videos. Speaking of ESCs, I replaced a motor and ESC on my P2 a few weeks ago. I was lucky that it blew on landing as it touched ground. I'm still not real confident with it yet. I really hate soldering....
----
Soldering in tight places is always a hassle. The Solo reminds me alot of the old Apple products and their components group build. The Solo motor pod is a one piece module that connects via 2 plug in wires and a multi-pin connector. You unscrew 4 screws, unplug 3 connectors and pop out a module that consist of the Motor, ESC, PCB, and the LED lights. It would have taken less than 5 min to replace the module. But you do sacrifice price when you do that since you are replacing multiple small parts and not just one.

I purchased the P3 and am having a great time with it. Saw the Solo and thought "dang this has possibilities", a little beyond the P3 thinking of its open expansion bay, etc. Sadly the Solo has been a huge disappointment from all delivery without gimbal and extra batteries I ordered (not free one), coming from China - I looked this up before purchasing and saw somewhere it was being made in Mexico which would have been better than China in my book. The range I get is terrible, maybe I got a lemon idk but the P3 has no issues flying in the same areas I take the Solo. Keeping, but on the shelf until they get everything tightened up! Solo was not ready for release IMHO, watching all the 3dr video's you thing its the Beez Kneez - its not, yet anyway. I was upset when I didn't get my extra battery in my DJI P3 package but you know I had a 4k camera with gimbal that made the unit actually usable (not so upset with Dji's launch anymore in comparison).

Good customer service is useless if the product your selling is crap
And a good product is crap with horrid customer service. I JUST got the last if my money back from DJI, after more than two months. I had to contest each of 3 orders with PayPal, even though nothing was ever delivered. They out and out lied to me 5 times, and when I proved it was a lie, they delayed, and I got a "new" person that acted ignorant and just told another lie, refusing to acknowledge or discuss the previous lies. This happened 5 times before I had had enough. I know I made the right decision.

Reactions: Raybro
Well this has been a long time coming. Months !

Lets hope it works :)

2015-06-22_7-13-01.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: GoodnNuff
Patience is a virtue, and I agree with Dodge. I have been enjoying my Solo and have logged many successful flights. If owners stick to the basics as outlined by 3DR in their manual and website, everyone else should be mostly having the same experience. I crashed once when mine drifted under a tree canopy and lost gps. I sent 3DR a ticket for eval. They are working on another system for the expansion bay to aid in loss of gps guidance, etc. I notice many, not all, issues folks are having is when they fly in areas (such as their neighborhoods which are filled with wifi interference, or too close to large structures, too far, too fast, too high, etc) that could increase the chance of a signal loss. Others I see just make simple mistakes because of inexperience. This product is barely out of the box and there's all this talk about modifying this and that, (which, according to the warranty on the website, will void said 'return/replace warranty). Patience. Feedback during initial product release is vital to improving any new product. Whether it be a multirotor, and new software tool, etc. I can name very few products that were perfect the first time out of the box, even after in house beta testing. I used to develop 3D aircraft for flight simulators, and they were always a 'work in progress' no matter how much better than the competition they were.
I'm certainly not going to bail. I'm just waiting on the gimbal so I can get great video while being completely happy flying within the parameters set forth by the manufacturer. Anyway, I hope no one else jumps ship too soon, after all, what is to gain? Go for another product that has it's own issues they are trying to work out?

Last edited:
I notice many, not all, issues folks are having is when they fly in areas (such as their neighborhoods which are filled with wifi interference

You know with possibly the exception of strong commercial interference, neighborhoods with WiFi should have no effect. There are millions of phantoms flying in very dense areas with no issues. If the Solo cant fly amongst standard 802.11 WiFi there is a serious design issue.

My house alone has three WAPs and the neighbors that border my lost all have it. Never had an issue.

Not saying people don't have issues but if they do in my opinion its a manufacture problem with the design. With digital communications there is no reason a UAV cant communicate with the controller exclusively and if it ceases to do so, stop and hover and then if it continues then RTH.

It's not hard to encode into the packet "this is me" and anything else is not.

Congrats Rich! I hope to have a similar message this week!

I hope you do too. Maybe they are starting to ramp up now and can fill orders.

Lets hope for gimbal soon !

Reactions: GoodnNuff
After having the P3 page opened and ready to order... I thought better of it... Found a SOLO at Best Buy and just opened the box this morning... *fingers crossed* Going to try a flight this afternoon... I'm SO cautiously optimistic...

Here's to hoping!!! *lifting a glass of Mountain dew!*
Bottoms UP!!! LOL ....Oh no.... I didn't mean that!!!!

Tim

Last edited:
Reactions: rrmccabe

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gabriela