Who has more issues? The Phantom 4 or SOLO

Yeah I read it back to back, it was easy to see how it could be seen I was taking exception to your post. I wasn't, could have worded it better.

Just let me know, not many great places to fly here but I did just get a new Margarita machine, and the webber always has something good on it

Reactions: J R
STMP,

An honest question, worthy of an honest answer. I don't. I was in a zone and just wanted to keep flying. There is some competition on other sites for long distance runs and I got a tickle out of it. Some guys are adding external batteries and antenna's to the Phantoms for the fun of it. Somebody actually put on 19 miles in a single run! To me, that's incredible and what Amazon will need to do to deliver packages. I just wanted to see what my stock bird would do (I'm in the boonies too, just flying over corn and bean fields).

We talk about open-architecture here but I don't see a lot of development, from a practical standpoint, for the hobbyist. Again, it's critically important to note that I'm just doing this for the fun of it. I'm not trying to produce income. That, in itself, makes my opinion very biased and possibly even irrelevant. I love this forum and the many knowledgeable people here but I'm going to be as honest as I can be.

I can charge the batteries much faster, 3 at the same time, in about an hour (I usually don't run them down past 30%). I've got a pristine preview with Lightbridge, they go up as soon as I turn everything on with a sat lock and 12-15 sats, I can get a good 16-18 minutes of actual flight time on a single battery. It's just an easier bird for me.

I'm not giving up on the Solo, I've just lost a little of the thunder.

Respectfully,

Jerry
Jerry,

The only reason why I asked is because so many users worship DJI and throw Solo under the bus solely on the issue of range. Personally I think it's just DJI doing a great job of convincing consumers to be swayed by superficial specs and not pay attention to some of the more powerful/useful capabilities.

Eric

Jerry,

The only reason why I asked is because so many users worship DJI and throw Solo under the bus solely on the issue of range.

Eric,

If you've read any of my posts you'd know I despise DJI as a company. That's why I own a Solo. Range isn't the issue for me. I love the signal strength and pristine video preview of my P3's. Not that Solo's isn't good but in my opinion only, the lightbridge system is much better. Just trying to be honest, I'm really not attempting to stir the pot.

Jerry

Eric,

If you've read any of my posts you'd know I despise DJI as a company. That's why I own a Solo. Range isn't the issue for me. I love the signal strength and pristine video preview of my P3's. Not that Solo's isn't good but in my opinion only, the lightbridge system is much better. Just trying to be honest, I'm really not attempting to stir the pot.

Jerry

All good Jerry! Just had to ask because I see people talk so much about range between the two.

wonder what makes light bridge different, it is still wifi right?

Pyrate,

You'd have to ask someone much smarter than me! All I know is it seems to work. Even though I'm in the boonies, I was quite surprised to still have solid video preview at 25k'. Makes flying manually (GPS mode) a real joy knowing you can rely on the preview screen.

Jerry

Dang, awesome info Steve.
I tot lightbrigde uses all wifi channels like jumping-jumping all 13 to get best signals and send some data all over the place.

I never knew its a one way VIDEO transmission, AWESOME info.

The video transmission part is clear, One Way Transmission.

How about the extra range it can communicate two way for drone control , compared to let say Solo ?

I never tried, so I got to ask :
If say Solo loose video feed, does it do RTL because the video feed and command data sharing same transmission ?

Thanks very much :)

My guess would be that it's using regular 2.4 wifi for control/telemetry. The video stream by far comsumes the most data, and if it's sharing wifi with control then there is a lot more opportunity for the packet loss/resending. So if you offload the massive video bandwidth to another technology, there is a lot less room for error using the wifi for only control purposes. This is entirely speculation, I don't know enough about how DJI works to know for sure, but it's an educated guess.

Reactions: J R and pyrate
I'm still a Solo guy but I was amazed by my recent journey. I just thought I'd show you guys what it looked like when I first started to lose signal and began to turn around. I was quite shocked and surprised.

Jerry

ScreenPreview-25k.jpg

Reactions: pyrate
Wow no way I am letting mine get out that far.
Do not care how dang good my feed is.

I know there are a lot of distance guys around and that really is fine if that is your gig
I start losing site of mine just over 2000 feet and that is when I am done and we are coming back

So if this is packets, really it has more to do with the transmission method, wonder why 3DR did not go the packet route.
Was a patent thing?

I'm still a Solo guy but I was amazed by my recent journey. I just thought I'd show you guys what it looked like when I first started to lose signal and began to turn around. I was quite shocked and surprised.

Jerry

View attachment 3319
How do you fly out 25,000ft with a top speed of 17.9mph and still have enough battery to return home? That would equate to minimum 30 min flight time on battery, no?

I know there are a lot of distance guys around and that really is fine if that is your gig

Pyrate,

I hear you. Just had to give it a go. As I said, I'm an amateur and it's a hobby for me. Something to kill time. I very much respect the opinions of you guys that are using these things as a tool for your profession. It's not a tool for me, just something to have some fun with. As everyone can see I stayed in the 250' AGL range and flew only over empty fields. I've also never gone over 396' AGL.

Jerry.

How do you fly out 25,000ft with a top speed of 17.9mph and still have enough battery to return home? That would equate to minimum 30 min flight time on battery, no?

Jib,

That's not the max speed. That's just the speed when I was getting ready to turn around. I flew out there at well over 30MPH (I'd have to go back and look). I brought the bird home at 8% battery. I had to cancel the RTH a few times to get it home.

Jerry

Jerry

View attachment 3319
Damn Jerry, I don't think I would have guts enough to go out that far. I see you still had full controller and video signal, pretty amazing. I have only been out 11,000 ft and I must say I was a nervous wreck until it got back to me. I, like you live in a remote area and only have to worry about trees and brush if it goes down.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Minh44