Which GoPro??

Reaction score
Okay, I've never owned a GoPro and know pretty much noting about them. I've been watching a bunch of YouTube videos and reading so much that my eyes have started to cross!! I'm completely confused.

I know there are plenty of you guys that have been using GoPro's for years now and need your help PLESE! I don't care about 4K recording so we can cross that off the list BUT I do want to be sure I get the right one for the SOLO that will work with the app and gimbal combination when it's available. So far I've been leaning towards the Hero 3+ black but the price is so close to the Hero 4 silver I don't know if the difference warrants the price difference.
What say you guys? If anyone has one they want to sell because you're upgrading, let me know! Thanks!

I use a Hero 3+ Black as well. Ditto on the 4K, I think it's a waste at least for now. Lots of the Phantom Vision and P3 users put down the GoPro due to the fisheye but that is easily removed during editing. Also depends on the frame width you're shooting. I really like my GoPro, it is pretty rugged. My Phantom auto landed during a waypoint mission due to low battery which was my mistake. It landed in a field that had several inches of water. The camera kept running, even under water. I dried it out in rice and have not had a problem with it.
There are some comparison charts showing the different features on the various GoPro models on the GoPro site. When you get the GoPro you can download the free GoPro studio which works pretty well for editing.
https://gopro.com/support/articles/hero3plus-camera-comparison

Reactions: AmosMoses
i bought the hero 4 black.
I use a Hero 3+ Black as well. Ditto on the 4K, I think it's a waste at least for now. Lots of the Phantom Vision and P3 users put down the GoPro due to the fisheye but that is easily removed during editing. Also depends on the frame width you're shooting. I really like my GoPro, it is pretty rugged. My Phantom auto landed during a waypoint mission due to low battery which was my mistake. It landed in a field that had several inches of water. The camera kept running, even under water. I dried it out in rice and have not had a problem with it.
There are some comparison charts showing the different features on the various GoPro models on the GoPro site. When you get the GoPro you can download the free GoPro studio which works pretty well for editing.
https://gopro.com/support/articles/hero3plus-camera-comparison
GoPro has the hero 3 black for $279 but it's a refurbished unit. Still comes with their 1 year warranty and everything else as new! Might just try it.

I bought my Hero3+ Black as factory refurbished and it was flawless.
That's what I wanted to hear!! Thanks buddy!! The 3 should still be able to take advantage of all the features that are eventually going to be available on the SOLO, no?

That what the specs say...we'll have to wait for the gimbal for the real test. I have mine to up at 720P 60 FPS and simultaneous stills every 30 seconds.

hero 4 black mainly due to 2.7k/60fps. 4k and 2.7k because of the CROP-ABILITY to 1080p, rather than overall quality itself.

According to the specs in the manual, the 3+ and 4 are fully functional with Solo. The 3 is streaming compatible. What fully functional is, I don't know, maybe access to camera settings

Hero3 can only stream; you cannot manipulate the GoPro in any way except to view what the gopro is seeing.

Hero 3+ & 4 you can start, stop, change settings, potentially do everything that the GoPro phone app can perform.

although the quad itself for a beginner's, you should have basic knowledge of using a gopro (especially the app) to take full advantage of the two.

That what the specs say...we'll have to wait for the gimbal for the real test. I have mine to up at 720P 60 FPS and simultaneous stills every 30 seconds.
I see alot of guys shooting at 720P @60 .. Even at Low light this setting is amazing.. Is the video quality better as well in sunlight ? Why would u choose 720 and not 1080 just curious.. thanks!

I was able to get a Hero 4 Black for $300 so there was no way I was NOT going to buy it. I already owned a Hero 3 White that has been rock solid shooting 1080p for vacationing, underwater, etc. I actually bought the 4 Black because of the price and because I was pretty much trying to future proof my purchase. I tried shooting in 4K a couple of times and the files are so menacing to work with that it's a turn off. I'm shooting 2.7K and couldn't be happier.

I see alot of guys shooting at 720P @60 .. Even at Low light this setting is amazing.. Is the video quality better as well in sunlight ? Why would u choose 720 and not 1080 just curious.. thanks!
720 works best on YouTube I think. It's good enough for what I do.

i shoot in 2.7k @ 60fps so that my editor can crop and slow down footage if need be.

gotta have options. 4k is good only if you need to crop a certain section.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alan r pfennig