Well I did it :( On my 3DR Solo

Thank you! I just wasn't aware of the language in the regulation.

Sounds like they were trying to keep drones from flying too close to emergency situations (like wildfires), hampering efforts of emergency workers. That's good.

Perhaps as an unintended consequence, it sounds like drones have been prevented from helping when asked. That's bad.

Do I have that right?
I think so. These things have such amazing capabilities yet, we have people who are irresponsibly keeping the rest of society from benefiting from the positive side of their use. I suppose it's like most any other great new innovation; cars, planes, TV, internet. They can all be used for extreme good and for extreme nefarious purposes. Finding the right mix of control is always a difficult task. Drones are no different in that sense.

Reactions: Maddog
I think so. These things have such amazing capabilities yet, we have people who are irresponsibly keeping the rest of society from benefiting from the positive side of their use. I suppose it's like most any other great new innovation; cars, planes, TV, internet. They can all be used for extreme good and for extreme nefarious purposes. Finding the right mix of control is always a difficult task. Drones are no different in that sense.
With advances in knowledge and technology, come new responsibilities and challenges. :confused:

I asked a rep at Best Buy, and he didn't know for sure. He asked another guy who said no, that it was up to the individual making the purchase to register directly with the FAA.

Reactions: Maddog
Surprised no one has mentioned what is perhaps the primary reason the FAA has chose this particular registration route. That is, at least a chance to expose thousands of new, uninformed drone operators to the rules and regulations of flying that shiny new drone they got for Xmas. To register, you must read the rules. Will it stop the reckless operators? Nope. No more any other form of registration. But at least it's a way to make sure the word gets out.
Or what I fear is the more sinister primary reason: The govt now has a massive new revenue source that can be gouged in 3 years. Think about it, as of the first of the year, all legal pilots (including those that thought they would be exempt) will have to renew their certificate in 3 years, all at the same time frame. Any bets on whether or not the registration fee will remain $5 by then?

What I'd like to know is, who are we pilots obligated to show our registration number to if asked? The FAA? Of course, but I've never seen an FAA guy in the field. How about the local Police dept? I would assume so, but not sure since it's not their registration number. Will the local police have direct access to the FAA database? How about my neighbor, or any stranger that walks up and asks me to prove I'm registered? I'm I obligated? I hope not. Will the public have access to the database? I hope not. Will the FAA accommodate lost drones, providing anyone with the contact information for a drone registration #? That would seem inappropriate to provide personal information to anyone that calls the FAA with a registration number. But at the same time I'd like to get my drone back if it's lost. How will that work?

What I'd like to know is, who are we pilots obligated to show our registration number to if asked? The FAA? Of course, but I've never seen an FAA guy in the field. How about the local Police dept? I would assume so, but not sure since it's not their registration number. Will the local police have direct access to the FAA database? How about my neighbor, or any stranger that walks up and asks me to prove I'm registered? I'm I obligated? I hope not. Will the public have access to the database? I hope not. Will the FAA accommodate lost drones, providing anyone with the contact information for a drone registration #? That would seem inappropriate to provide personal information to anyone that calls the FAA with a registration number. But at the same time I'd like to get my drone back if it's lost. How will that work?
Lots of good questions with no clear answers. Someone posted a link to a news story where a FAA official admitted the public will have full access to all information in the registry.

Oh well. ..just one more list to be on. .. personally I think it's a little funny that I don't have to register this:
a447dc41-425f-4989-85d4-2ef8f182718e.png

or this:
VID_20110430_185227_100-1.jpg

or this:
eceba776-52ea-4da7-af5b-f0a190db119b.jpg

but my quadcopter (one of the least hazardous things I own) might pose a threat so it should be watched carefully. ..lol
Last time I checked, they didn't sell flame throwers and cannons at Best Buy, Wal-Mart, Frys, Amazon or any other major retailer. But they do sell drones. Drones also outnumber cannons and flame throwers by the 10,000's. Not only that, they are all over the place.

Besides, when was the last time you ran into someone shooting a cannon or flame thrower, at your local park, or anywhere else, for that matter!? Let me guess... Never!?

When was the last time you read in the news that someone interfered with local firefighters, using a cannon or flame thrower? Another guess... Never!?

Cannons and flame throwers are more "dangerous" in themselves, but that doesn't mean that they post a bigger danger to the general public.

Drones are like cell phones. A cellphone itself is not dangerous, but when using one while doing other things, like driving, the whole dynamic changes.

Thanks.

We should try to get the NRA involved...

Sounds crazy I know, but maybe we could get the NRA to freak out and start lobbying on our behalf - after all, if you've got to register your drone with the government for safety reasons, then that sets a pretty strong precedent for federal gun licensing and registration.

They should allow us to put our contact information OR faa registration number on the drone. So those that chose not to register are covered without putting our names in a .gov list. This will serve the same purpose.

The AMA allows for the same thing, AMA number OR your contact information must be on or in your aircraft to cover their rules and therefore validate their insurance.

We should push back on the FAA, marking our recreational drone with our contact information serves the same purpose as their registration number without affecting our privacy by putting our names in a government database.

The AMA *is* pushing back on the FAA, hence the reason they've asked their membership to not register their UAV yet. The AMA Facebook page and website has several suggestions on how to best manage registration for the time being.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Minh44